Media is going to get it wrong anyway

jackn

Well, wait a minute!  I am sure she had a source for the story so it must be true.  It is not fair to mock the media for reporting the well sourced truth. After all, they are not the enemy of the people.

Edited by jlunseth
  • Haha 1

This news story even made it to the news here in Australia with the heading: Reporter tricked into saying plane’s crash landing was caused by a faulty ‘flux capacitor’

In my view this is well deserved, not personally to this young lady, but the media as a whole to highlight the sheer ignorance of their general reporting of aviation matters we have all read or seen that a simple Google search will clarify, such as a picture of a Piper Chieftain when a C172 has crashed or referring to a piston twin or even a single as a jet.

The worst one was outright garbage sensationalism I read in a major newspaper when a dog in a dogtainer was left for a short time by baggage handlers on the apron next to an aircraft in it's parking bay at the aerobridge and terminal.  The heading in large print read similar to: 'Dog left on runway' with continued reference to the runway within the story.  The problem is there are those of the great unwashed and devoid of intelligence believe this tripe and respond with their inane responses in the Comments section whereas those with common sense can see through this nonsense.

I typed my response to their amateur hour journalism in the Comments section and unsurprisingly, it was not published.

After viewing this, I went right out to the hangar and checked on my flux capacitator.  Not only did it shows signs of severe distress, it was nowhere near specified capcitator-capacity.

Happily I found one new listed on eBay.  It comes from China and should be here soon.  Naturally, it is PMA'd.

I'm sure my top speed has been depressed by this near failure for years.

No doubt an AD will be forthcoming.

1 hour ago, Mooney in Oz said:

This news story even made it to the news here in Australia with the heading: Reporter tricked into saying plane’s crash landing was caused by a faulty ‘flux capacitor’

In my view this is well deserved, not personally to this young lady, but the media as a whole to highlight the sheer ignorance of their general reporting of aviation matters we have all read or seen that a simple Google search will clarify, such as a picture of a Piper Chieftain when a C172 has crashed or referring to a piston twin or even a single as a jet.

The worst one was outright garbage sensationalism I read in a major newspaper when a dog in a dogtainer was left for a short time by baggage handlers on the apron next to an aircraft in it's parking bay at the aerobridge and terminal.  The heading in large print read similar to: 'Dog left on runway' with continued reference to the runway within the story.  The problem is there are those of the great unwashed and devoid of intelligence believe this tripe and respond with their inane responses in the Comments section whereas those with common sense can see through this nonsense.

I typed my response to their amateur hour journalism in the Comments section and unsurprisingly, it was not published.

Well, why limit it to their sheer ignorance of aviation matters?  How about just their sheer ignorance? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

After viewing this, I went right out to the hangar and checked on my flux capacitator.  Not only did it shows signs of severe distress, it was nowhere near specified capcitator-capacity.

Happily I found one new listed on eBay.  It comes from China and should be here soon.  Naturally, it is PMA'd.

I'm sure my top speed has been depressed by this near failure for years.

No doubt an AD will be forthcoming.

You’re wasting your time getting a new flux capacitor.  I just read on the interweb that the EPA is going to ban dilithium crystals.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

I'm glad to hear the United States doesn't have a monopoly on ignorance and gullibility, although we do seem to have at least our fair share right now.

• Like 1

This thread is absolutely hilarious.  Who would have thought that a guy would fool the newscaster by mentioning the Flux Capacitor.  We then had a discussion of the media. How about a discussion of the Flux-Capacitor, followed by a supposed parody video on the turbo encabulator(which I thought was a parody too), ending with the turbo encabulator being real.  Y'all made my day.  The only thing that may have made it funnier is if Chewbacca was tied into this. 

7 hours ago, Andy95W said:

I'm glad to hear the United States doesn't have a monopoly on ignorance and gullibility, although we do seem to have at least our fair share right now.

For a good giggle we watch Rick Mercer a famous Canadian comedian  “Talking to Americans”. He had many enlightening discussions with some of your countrymen.

Google it for a good laugh.

Clarence

On 8/28/2018 at 7:44 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

So I googled Flux Capacitor and found where to get one:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor

They seem to be out of stock, but as soon as they  come in I’m going to get one and put it on the Mooney! Going to get rid of that turbo, old technology....

Kudos to O’Reilly Auto Parts for having a sense of humor. Now I better understand the sentiment behind their radio jingle (those who have heard can hum along):

”O, O, O O’Reillyyyyyyy, auto parts. Yow!”

On 9/2/2018 at 6:00 AM, Jeff_S said:

Kudos to O’Reilly Auto Parts for having a sense of humor. Now I better understand the sentiment behind their radio jingle (those who have heard can hum along):

”O, O, O O’Reillyyyyyyy, auto parts. Yow!”

That one is only for experimental though, this is TSO. 

http://www.therealflux.com

I think it would look nice un the center of the aft  hat rack surface.... bolt em up boys! (Good for at least 5 knots at cruise)

Watching AOPA live video they played the news feed with the reporter calling on a problem of the flux capacitator and came to the defense of the reporter and said that whoever gave her that information should not have done that as it only feeds more fuel to the problem of mis information about GA. Typical I sometimes wonder if AOPA has any sense of humor at all.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bonal said:

Watching AOPA live video they played the news feed with the reporter calling on a problem of the flux capacitator and came to the defense of the reporter and said that whoever gave her that information should not have done that as it only feeds more fuel to the problem of mis information about GA. Typical I sometimes wonder if AOPA has any sense of humor at all.

We are dealing with sky divers here. Have you ever hung out with sky divers?

Personally I thought it was funny but I tend to agree with AOPA. As pilots we need to educate those that don't know if asked, and if we don't know for sure admit we don't have an answer. Don't get me wrong, I can blow smoke farther than most but I fess up at the end (sometimes)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

Personally I thought it was funny but I tend to agree with AOPA. As pilots we need to educate those that don't know if asked, and if we don't know for sure admit we don't have an answer. Don't get me wrong, I can blow smoke farther than most but I fess up at the end (sometimes)

I agree with the point, but what's done was done and we all seem to agree it was pretty dam funny.

• Like 2