Panel thoughts

RobertGary1

My F model has basic 1980's radios (155,170B, KN 62, etc). 

Looking at...

G5+GTN650+display head for 650+GTX345.

Can probably do the above for just under $25K.

I like the Garmin options because I have a lot of G1000 time and I'm very unhappy with King right now.

I'm looking for something that will get me another 20 years with this Mooney.

-Robert

Having flown at different times with each of the four mainstream GPS systems... I gotta say the GTN 650 is the worst of the bunch. The 750 is amazing, the IFD550/540 is a close second. But for the small screens the IFD440 blows away the 650. The 650 is nearly unusable in any kind of turbulence or even while making turns in the pattern. Since everything is touch screen based, and requires multiple screens to do anything, it's just terrible.

I love my Aspen/IFD540 combo... but understand the draw of the G5. So for the money I do exactly what you stated... except swap the GTN650 for an IFD440.

That's exactly what I would install if I had to pull the trigger on a new Mooney panel right now.  Add a 255 radio, and a GFC500 and get on down the road.

I'm exploring the possibility of installing a GSU470 (7" G3x display) as an MFD in my bird as part of a panel makeover.  Right side only and doesn't have the same capabilities as a G3X, but it adds good capability to the airplane.

5 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

My F model has basic 1980's radios (155,170B, KN 62, etc). 

Looking at...

G5+GTN650+display head for 650+GTX345.

Can probably do the above for just under $25K.

I like the Garmin options because I have a lot of G1000 time and I'm very unhappy with King right now.

I'm looking for something that will get me another 20 years with this Mooney.

-Robert

TBH I think you're looking a bit more towards $35K to $40K give or take. I'm looking to do practically
exactly the same thing myself, Except, I'm doing a 750, a 345R and a GMA 35C audio panel. and possibly
dual G5's. If I were you, i'd save for the 750. the 650 looks a tad bit pathetic, being so tiny, and it looks like a
bitch to deal with. If you find a shop that can do the work you're looking for under 25K let me know asap.

5 hours ago, Niko182 said:

TBH I think you're looking a bit more towards $35K to $40K give or take. I'm looking to do practically
exactly the same thing myself, Except, I'm doing a 750, a 345R and a GMA 35C audio panel. and possibly
dual G5's. If I were you, i'd save for the 750. the 650 looks a tad bit pathetic, being so tiny, and it looks like a
bitch to deal with. If you find a shop that can do the work you're looking for under 25K let me know asap.

Well yea once you start talking 750, audio panel and dual g5’s then price would go up a lot. 

-Robert

bitch to deal with.

But 750 takes a lot of space and bulk data entry isn’t even required if you have a flightstream, not to mention being able to get wx and traffic in your portable device. With the 650 I have everything in the left stack except the transponder.
  • Like 2

I got dual G5s with gtn650, new panel cut and a few other things for $20k out the door.  I’m very happy with it..  programming the gtn in turbulence is no problem if you use the lip around the edge to stabilize your hand..  99% of the time it is non issue.  Go ahead and do dual g5 and you get the gpss

if you want more screen with weather and traffic, get an aera660 with a gdl39 and interface with the gtn using mapmx protocol..;)

Edited by Browncbr1