Mooney down at KHEG (north FL)

Hector

Just saw what looked like a J go down during take off. Heard the engine quit. Looks like they did a good job of getting the plane down inside airport property. Landed straight ahead in the bushes. Both refused medical attention so it appears there were no injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, acpartswhse said:

Was sold to current owner C Barnes who lived in Jacksonville fl. Cause of the engine stoppage was fuel mismanagement.  Owner was selling the plane and prospective buyer took it for test flight and switched fuel off or to empty tank before takeoff according to locals.  

Why is it that pilots continue to prove that engines won’t run on air alone?

Clarence

1 hour ago, acpartswhse said:

prospective buyer took it for test flight and switched fuel off or to empty tank before takeoff according to locals.  

My guess is he was use to an aircraft that had a both selection and switched it instinctively

Brian. 

I select the tank I plan on using before start up and do not touch the fuel selector again until I'm at altitude and in cruise flight this is generally an hour or 10 gallons which ever comes first.

This way the run up and all taxing is done on one tank and to the best of my ability proven that it will continue to provide fuel to the engine during takeoff.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

I select the tank I plan on using before start up and do not touch the fuel selector again until I'm at altitude and in cruise flight this is generally an hour or 10 gallons which ever comes first.

That's the way to do it, John.

Anyone want to venture a guess on who was doing the repairs and maintenance on "salvage" N201RD? What a shame.

• Like 2

The engine quit on take off could be due to water displaced toward the fuel tank pickup screen  at the rear of tank. Even if the fuel was drained before flight water may be in the tanks due to the fuel drain adapter hole clogged. To insure of no water remove the drain valve and check for water residue. I switched to the drain valve F-391-72 which has the drain holes just above the adapter to overcome this problem.

I first experience the engine quitting on take off at KFLL. I landed straight ahead on the runway and with the momentum taxi out. At the ramp removed the drain valve and water was pouring out even though I drained the tanks before through the drain valve.

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

This way the run up and all taxing is done on one tank and to the best of my ability proven that it will continue to provide fuel to the engine during takeoff.

Me, too. But first I verify that it moves by switching to the other tank, then put it where I want to start off [never pointing toward me!].

yep me too in my Lowly Cherokee

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Hank said:

Me, too. But first I verify that it moves by switching to the other tank, then put it where I want to start off [never pointing toward me!].

I prefer more of a combination that test both tanks before takeoff as follow. I start up on the lowest tank and taxi to the runup area to test the lowest tank. At the run-up area, upon arrival and before run-up, I switch to the fullest tank same time I switch to tower freq first thing upon arrival. Then do the run-up on the fullest tank. Our run-ups are longer than many with a lot of equipment to check for the typical IFR departure that gives plenty of time and fuel to test the second/fullest tank. As a result both tanks and the selector valve operation is tested before departure. I also have a personal rule that I don't takeoff without at least 12 gals in the lowest tank,  besides more on the other tank.

I use a modified technique for taking off at dirt fields where I don't switch tanks since I won't be doing a full run-up and start up with the fullest tank. Modified because I only do an abbreviated run-up to check that both mags are still functioning and get oil in the governor while on taxi to the departure end. (to avoid stopping in the dirt, going to run-up rpm and sucking rocks into the prop - what also helps this an inflight LOP mag check just before prior landing).    

• Like 3

I know the tank the valve is on works, because it's what I landed on. Change to the other tank so I know it moves. Set to fullest, crank up and taxi out.

My runups aren't terribly long. Set radios and GPS before taxi; controls, instruments, prop, mags and I'm done. Except for the very infrequent IFR Hold-before-departure.

14 minutes ago, Hank said:

Except for the very infrequent IFR Hold-before-departure.

Try making an IFR departure from the LAX area.  I think my average hold on the ground at KSMO has been 35 minutes :blink:

Last time I told myself I'd do a SVFR departure if I had to, to avoid holding, but just as I turned on the radio, I heard the tower declare the field IFR only. :angry:

24 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Try making an IFR departure from the LAX area.  I think my average hold on the ground at KSMO has been 35 minutes :blink:

Last time I told myself I'd do a SVFR departure if I had to, to avoid holding, but just as I turned on the radio, I heard the tower declare the field IFR only. :angry:

It's even worse in IFR conditions at SMO when the fog is moving in off the coast. Out of concern for planes going missed at LAX they really delay SMO departures. My worst was an hour +10 or +15 min once and it was never expected to be more than another 5-10 min at a time - or I would have shutdown. I was very disappointed at the time because if they delayed it any longer I wouldn't have been able to take off after watching the fog roll up to the runway. As it was the by the time I was airborne, the fog bank had rolled up to the departure end of the runway. A couple more minutes and it would have been below IFR min's - that I observe even if they don't apply to part 91.  

Edited by kortopates

4 hours ago, fantom said:

That's the way to do it, John.

Anyone want to venture a guess on who was doing the repairs and maintenance on "salvage" N201RD? What a shame.

Gary, I flew the plane to Jacksonville, Fl to the new owner who immediately moved it to hangar.  After running the tanks for 4 hours I think there was no water. It stayed in that hangar till someone not familiar with the plane took off with no fuel flowing.  Won't run very long sans fuel. So where is the maintenance problem with a shop that does more Mooneys than anyone outside of a MSC?