Protecting seats

I put a seat cover in my truck when the vinyl got to looking bad; also put one in a used car that had a hole where someone sat down with a screwdriver in their back pocket. People I know use sheepskin for comfort, as it breathes very well, and can be dyed to match almost any interior scheme.

I'm not familiar with using seat covers to "protect" the seat . . . .

I've never quite understood the desire to use a cover to protect upholstery.  I pay a bunch of money to get new seats on a chair at home, my car, or my plane so that I can look at and enjoy using them.  I accept that by using them it will wear them out; just the way it works.

I remember growing up my aunt and uncle put in new carpet in their home...then put these gawd awful 'clear' plastic runners over the carpet so it didn't get dirty and worn out!!  Looked like total shit; especially after it got dirty and yellow.  But, they damn well protected their carpet!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MikeOH said:

I remember growing up my aunt and uncle put in new carpet in their home...then put these gawd awful 'clear' plastic runners over the carpet so it didn't get dirty and worn out!!  Looked like total shit; especially after it got dirty and yellow.  But, they damn well protected their carpet!

What about my grandmother's plastic slipcovers on the sofa? I think I left layers of skin on it over the decades, but I will say this.. even though the sofa was 30 years old, it looked brand new under the plastic.

• Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:55 AM, FastTex said:

That's what I was thinking. Did you just get a regular type?

think so,  just picked the smallest size possible.  Actually, i'm on the second set, first set prevented a coffee spill from ruining my seat.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:23 AM, MikeOH said:

I've never quite understood the desire to use a cover to protect upholstery.  I pay a bunch of money to get new seats on a chair at home, my car, or my plane so that I can look at and enjoy using them.  I accept that by using them it will wear them out; just the way it works.

I agree...use the product.

I feel the same way about screen protectors on the smartphones.  People put them on and leave them there the entire time they have that phone.

A seat is meant to sit on...if you have covers over your seats I hope that you are covering a crappy looking seat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

I feel the same way about screen protectors on the smartphones.  People put them on and leave them there the entire time they have that phone.

A seat is meant to sit on...if you have covers over your seats I hope that you are covering a crappy looking seat.

I represent that, and I am.

The engine's out for rebuild now, so the sheepskin stays awhile longer...

Patrick

• Like 1

Well, spend a few AMUs on doing a reupholstery job and you may feel differently. I’m starting to see some wear on the corners and it really irritates me!

73567eac890da7bf481bb664bb5c6e67.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

32 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Well, spend a few AMUs on doing a reupholstery job and you may feel differently. I’m starting to see some wear on the corners and it really irritates me!

I'd put covers on those seats too ;)   eek!

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Just gotta be more careful. Just redid my car seats with new foam and leather last fall. I sit on them, and even leave it parked outside with the top down while eating. 

15354986850011033935863670124587.thumb.jpg.bcc33524f583cb539512e238025de545.jpg

• Like 1

Leather is hot and sweaty in the summer and cold in the winter.....looks good but no way is it functional in a plane or a car.

Sheepskin covers do not make you sweat unless its the most humid day in the summer and warm in the winter.  When worn out just replace.  there is a reason why almost every airline cockpit in the world has them. 

But you can all pay your 2-4 AMU for the leather seats.  Keeps shops in business I guess.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a big fan of leather seats in Texas, but have you tried vinyl ?   I still have scars from my youth.    I did not know anything about leather when I bought the hides to do my seats.   There is a upholstery grade and a regular grade.  The upholstery grade is a bit thinner and seems to wear quicker.  The khaki is  the thicker.   Since I can do another cover in about a day and it will cost me $50.  No need to do protectors.   I should get some 3 years after pictures.   And how much fun was it to make Mrs. Yetti a matching handbag clutch with the scraps.

20160116_194928.thumb.jpg.5f5bd9f60bf844f81fa680cc0b5816c2.jpg

20160124_092634.jpg

• Like 1