Bad ADS-B Stratus ES

wburger1

Just had a brand new Stratus ads-b ES with 2i installed in my Mooney and it had a blank screen when my Avionics tech tried to power it up.  Plane has already been in the shop for a month waiting for the install and now this!  Anyone else have problems with a new Stratus ads-b? The 2i powered up just fine.

Is this the ADSB-out transponder, or the antenna widget that gets ADSB-in, or a combination?  Not savvy enough to figure it out from your post.  I had a transponder installed and am actually quite happy with it.  Since its installation its gotten me into DC, and allowed some guys I was flying with to keep track of me when my comms went out. Possible you got a bad unit, possible the techs screwed the pooch.  The good news is 1) Appareo should supply you with a new unit if yours is bad and 2) the heavy lifting is already done.  The wiring and antennas are in place, the rest is just screwing in the box.  Thus the labor for switching units should be minimal unless they're thieving from you.

I know, this is going to take your airplane out of service for a little while longer, which is a pain.  But once its done its done, and you get to laugh at all the guys who didn't do the ADSB try to cram themselves into the avionics shops and get frozen out of controlled airspace.  And you're in Texas, where its always VFR, and fuel is so cheap they pay you to fly, and all the airplanes are bigger because they're in Texas.

• 5 weeks later...