Hard mounting a tablet vs a MFD?

Chris K

In my Eagle, I will be upgrading my transponder to a GTX 345 to be both ADS-B compliant and to receive the bonus of traffic/weather.  I have a G530W/430 in the panel and also a Dynon "mini" EFIS in place of a vacuum AI.  I'm not really liking the idea of overlaying traffic/weather onto either the 530/430 since IMO the screens are smallish and adding more data makes them too busy.  I could probably fit about an 8" I-pad (or android tablet or other MFD) in a vacant space on the co-pilot's side on the panel.  I currently fly with an Android tablet as my EFB on my knee board (I still like to also keep a paper map under just in case).  Mounting an I-pad with an app like Garmin Pilot with both weather/traffic overlys off the GTX 345 seems like a nice easy upgrade to the panel without the cost of adding certified equipment.  Other options seem to be a Garmin Aera but seems like a lot more AMUs for limited additional capability and seems a slim I-pad would actually look better than an Aera hard mounted on the panel.  Has anyone else gone down this path and found a good solution without letting the upgrade and cost getting out of hand?  Just looking for ideas before I settle on a tablet.

I have a 10" on my yoke and put an 8" over on the RH side using a RAM Mount. Fairly inexpensive and I angle it depending on who is in the right seat. Some people like to look at it and follow along so I have it facing them straight on, other times I angle it toward me a little more. Either way I can read it well. I would put it lower down but then I can't see the transponder very well and if it is out too far from the panel it could hit the yoke if it was full forward and full aileron deflection.

20180726_104845.thumb.jpg.478130a37bf07546b077a4dd6bf1424c.jpg

It's good to hear you can still see the display on the right side.  I have a Nexus 8 inch pad now for my EFB and want to get a tablet with a display that can handle glare. Any suggestions?  Is I-pad still the best? Niko, I like the way yours fits right in, looks like it belongs there. What kind and size is it?

Sadly this isn't my panel. It belongs to @Rmag. On the other hand, I know that Ipad is an
Ipad Mini 4. In my aircraft I also own  Ipad mini, and its mounted by a magnet and it fits perfectly 
in the yoke. Like absolutely perfectly. cheapest solution would be a magnet from best buy, an Ipad
mini, and a sentry unit. All of that will probably set you back 800 bucks, and youll get live ADS-B
traffic, weather, an synthetic vision with altitude, ground speed, and heading. for what you get, its very
affordable.

23 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

Sadly this isn't my panel. It belongs to @Rmag. On the other hand, I know that Ipad is an
Ipad Mini 4. In my aircraft I also own  Ipad mini, and its mounted by a magnet and it fits perfectly 
in the yoke. Like absolutely perfectly. cheapest solution would be a magnet from best buy, an Ipad
mini, and a sentry unit. All of that will probably set you back 800 bucks, and youll get live ADS-B
traffic, weather, an synthetic vision with altitude, ground speed, and heading. for what you get, its very
affordable.

I was leaning toward the mini.  What minimum memory space would I need to be able to run everything smoothly?

19 minutes ago, Chris K said:

I was leaning toward the mini.  What minimum memory space would I need to be able to run everything smoothly?

I got a 16gb and i someone regret it. Just from the music downloaded and about 7 states completely downloaded including ifr, vfr, taxi charts and more, ive used about 13gb. If it were me, id buy a 64gb at least next time if not the 128gb. But what ever you do make sure you buy the ipad with cellular. I dont use internet on my ipad irhave a plan, but the cellular model comes with gps. The wifi model doesnt have gps. You dont need to have a plan to make the gps work. The ipad will cost an extra 150 bucks for the cellular model, but it has non certified waas then. Accurate to 5 meters.

I bought the J with a GTN-650 installed. I was running an Android Tab A 9.*" with Avare for free. The Tab A was mounted to the yoke with a RAM mount and I was using a Statux for ADS-B in for $130 in hardware including mounts. That combo was amazing from a capability standpoint but I was still discovering traffic that was intentionally being hidden because the J wasn't ADS-B out. Last year I installed a GTX345 and FS510 and love the added functionality. I haven't observed traffic in the air that wasn't displayed on the iPad, since becoming out capable.

For a tablet, I'm currently running an iPad Pro 9.7--cellular--on the yoke with a magnetic mount and it is superb. I get traffic, have a backup AHRS, can push and pull flightplans and changes, push database updates to the GTN, etc... It also has a GPS receiver that comes with the cellular version in case the 650 goes away. I don't pay for cellular service on it but find the functionality of the yoke mounted iPad amazing. The magnetic mount allows me to pull the devices off the yokes to further refine button pushes or to place them on my knee for writing stuff down. I keep the Tab A with Avare updated as a backup to the iPad. I also keep and Garmin Pilot and Avare up to date on my Android phone for even more redundancy.

I'd just like to highlight that the Galaxy Tab A with Avare is a chart solution with a GPS receiver for under $200.

Regarding storage capacity... I'm a nerd and like as much as I can get on a device. With the iPad, I bought and will buy the most that it will come with it as I never know what will end up on the device. Apple sure knows how to extract money from a pocket... Storage is usually not worrisome on android devices because they usually come with expandable storage and microSD cards are cheap.

3 hours ago, Lance Link said:

I am in a very similar situation and plan to use an Aera 660.  The iPad is too big, shuts off due to heat, and the glare is bad.  The cost difference is not that much.

Honestly I think an Ipad mini would be better off. it is cheaper and offers more IMO. mine has only turned off once because i left it on the glare shield, and i've never had glare problems.

I am in a very similar situation and plan to use an Aera 660.  The iPad is too big, shuts off due to heat, and the glare is bad.  The cost difference is not that much.

You can buy a screen protector that reduces glare. Removing the iPad from the protective cases helps with cooling. For me, I just didn’t have the panel space, and I wanted it closer, so 660 it was. Of course I still have the iPad as well. GP is more functional than the 660, especially for IFR.

I use a Samsung s2 8 inch and a Samsung s3 both with Garmin Pilot.

8 inch tablet gets hung over the visor while the larger s3 has a ram mount to the center support.  Works great.

also all the Samsungs have built in GPS 

Edited by McMooney

11 hours ago, teejayevans said:

You can buy a screen protector that reduces glare. Removing the iPad from the protective cases helps with cooling. For me, I just didn’t have the panel space, and I wanted it closer, so 660 it was. Of course I still have the iPad as well. GP is more functional than the 660, especially for IFR.

Good points.  I have a screen protector that does help for the iPads I keep available, I think it's the one sold by My Go Flight.  In my case, I believe the mini iPad is just a little too wide to fit in the space I have available.  I know that an Aera 660 in a tilt dock will fit fine and will enable me to see the gauges to the right of it, but I think I'll measure that space for a panel-mount dock for a mini iPad, just to make sure I'm making the best decision.    

• 2 weeks later...

The Ipad Pro 12 with cell service is the bomb - its twice the size of the gtn750.  I use the MyClip kneeboard mount when renting.   I'm useing foreflight and the sentry gps - the traffic is really great.  I've never had any issues with it so far.  I only use this durring cruise and it put away before I'm in the pattern.  

Best place I've seen to mount any of them in the Mooney is below the throttles on some type of adjustable mount.   Not to far out of the way to be a problem to see and not a projectile in a bad situation either.

If you are referring to my comment - I was not suggesting that it be hard wired.   Just install a temporary ipad mount under the throttles and you can add or remove it whenever you like.  As I said, I like it there and not in front of my instruments or blocking outside visibility.  

Have you ever flown with foreflight and adsb on an Ipad?  

Edited by rpcc

I have my Android tablet semi-hard-mounted on the copilot side - made a wedge-shaped block to angle it where i can see, then stuck the block to the panel with 3M Dual lock, and the tablet sticks to the wedge with slightly less dual-lock (so the tablet will unstick from the block before the block unsticks the panel).

Only downside to using a tablet is that they like to overheat.  I might redesign the block to have a fan.

I am still liking this stand.  It clamps on the copilot side to the bar that holds the throttle cables.   Samsung tablet and droidefb for general navigation.  planning and AFD from the phone.   I would hate to say that I am getting old and tablets are harder to see.  

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ANKO-360-Degree-Rotating-Fashion-Universal-Flexible-Gooseneck-Long-Arm-Tablet-Stand-IPAD-Mini-IPAD-Air-IPAD-1-2-3-4-Samsung-Galaxy-7-9-12-Tablets-BLA/286424319

2 hours ago, teejayevans said:

I can’t imagine that is very stable, have you used it in moderate chop or turbulence?

Luckily your eyes move at the same rate as the chop.   It's not hard to read in chop.  a little hard to use swipe wise in the chop.   Since the tablet is used for general navigation, not much swiping once set up.   I have to look around it sometimes to get the freqs into the radio, but much easier having it close.  In bad chop it will bounce down and you have to keep repositioning it.   Also I am sitting pretty far back from the panel compared to your average bear.