What aluminum grade?

Joe,
Thought I had a simple answer...
Instead, I got the entire history of aluminum alloys that are available and what the names mean...
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/aluminfo.php

-a-
That is what I found. 6061 is 1200.00 for a 4x12 ft sheet. I need a 4x4 to finish this and another project. I'm still not sure why an 12 gauge sheet is so much

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, laytonl said:

When I need aluminum I buy it from onlinemetals.com because they well cut to order.  Lee

Thanks, I think I will do some measuring and order some pieces to fill in the gaps where stuff came out of my center stack. Right now I just have some plastic filling in the gaps but that would clean it back up nicely.

20180726_104845.thumb.jpg.58374a6974d78a39c8885c4c203f52df.jpg

One of the side benefits of the EAA...

They make Solidworks available to their members...

Panel layouts with good cadcam software is a breeze?

test your construction with an acrylic sheet... saw this when @steven757 (?) can’t find Stephen’s screen name today.... did his O panel...

When everything is perfect... then cut your 1.2amu alu sheet...

collect new hardware and panel shock adsorbers... LED lights and a proper dimmer...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

My local machine shop I think is way out of line.

Go through Aircraft Spruce.... A 4x12 sheet would come Motor Freight and almost guaranteed to be damaged some how,  you only need a 4x4. Would (2) 2x4 pieces work? If so it might be cheaper on shipping 

Go through Aircraft Spruce.... A 4x12 sheet would come Motor Freight and almost guaranteed to be damaged some how,  you only need a 4x4. Would (2) 2x4 pieces work? If so it might be cheaper on shipping 
Just talked to the machine shop apparently they typed in the wrong grade. I've got the right price now 4x4 sheet 229.00. That's what I've paid the last few projects not sure what the secretary was quoting but this forum allowed me to question with facts that the price was a little over the top.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

Just talked to the machine shop apparently they typed in the wrong grade. I've got the right price now 4x4 sheet 229.00. That's what I've paid the last few projects not sure what the secretary was quoting but this forum allowed me to question with facts that the price was a little over the top.

Still twice the price as Spruce but a damn sight better than $1200.00

So does anyone have a CAD file for the factory C panel? I'm making a new overlay for mine, and cutting / fitting paper is a trial and error pain in the backside . . . . Nothing structural, but the black plastic piece on the left side broke into three pieces.

30 minutes ago, Dream to fly said:

You know, Van's Aircraft in Oregon sells sheet aluminum, although AFAIK they only sell 2024-T3 sheets.  IIRC, they sell it for about $50 a square foot for 0.125" and for a nominal price they will cut it to specified dimensions.  You might want to consider them as well, they obviously keep a lot of it in stock.  2024-T3 may be overkill for the instrument panel, but it's certainly appropriate and is what they use for their panels in RV's

So does anyone have a CAD file for the factory C panel? I'm making a new overlay for mine, and cutting / fitting paper is a trial and error pain in the backside . . . . Nothing structural, but the black plastic piece on the left side broke into three pieces.

Please tell us you’re not going to finally fix that panel?! We have gotten used to it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Many many years ago I worked at an aluminum wholesale company called Amalco Metals we carried many different alloys and one I remember was called mic 6 it was machined on both surfaces and had a real polished surface would look great as a panel. I can't remember what it's called but I remember the old sports cars that had aluminum panels that were swirled also a nice look