JPI EDM Questions

JRam

16 hours ago, Marauder said:

Rule #1 in aviation, NEVER EVER share the price with the spouse.

Rule #2 in aviation, when asked by the spouse why you are adding something in the plane, the answer is ALWAYS “to make flying safer honey”

Rule #3: If ever in doubt, refer to Rule #1. :D

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

but why did he keep the old FF/EGT/All switch for the 700?

That's the new part. I did not have FF on the old 700 so I needed the switch to adjust the scan (at the bottom) thru all (EGT+FF) or one or the other.

I did remove the old data port because I wanted simple USB data transfer.

If someone needs a USB to Serial cord for their older JPI, let me know.  I bought this, new, and would sell cheap:

JPI-Keyspan-USB-2T.jpg

I find the 700 sufficient for all of my needs. When I sent it in for the fuel flow upgrade they also offered to upgrade to a 3 inch display at a nominal cost. I recently bought a USB adapter so that I can easily download the data without having to drag the laptop out to the airport.

58 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I find the 700 sufficient for all of my needs. When I sent it in for the fuel flow upgrade they also offered to upgrade to a 3 inch display at a nominal cost. I recently bought a USB adapter so that I can easily download the data without having to drag the laptop out to the airport.

+1 on the 700.  I keep toying with the idea of upgrading to the 900, a la @xcrmckenna (who seems to have some kind of disease with all his upgrading recently!) but I just can't convince myself it's worth doing on a plane I might not keep forever.  Also, I have the additional complication of having the 711 primary version, and the old EGT was removed.  That means if I wanted to do the 830 instead, I'd need to also install a separate primary EGT gauge.

• Like 1

By all means if I can spend your money I would upgrade to the JPI 900 series. I had the 830 and was very happy with it. The only reason I upgraded was to remove all the old legacy gauges in prep for a full panel upgrade.

One benefit of the 900 your eyes don’t have to wonder looking all over your panel at gauges.@jaylw314 you can sell it to your wife as a safety upgrade....:) I totally agree with@marauder if all our wives read these posts on MS and knew what you spent on everything there would be a lot more single pilots loosing their planes in a divorce...

I got your back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

By all means if I can spend your money I would upgrade to the JPI 900 series. I had the 830 and was very happy with it. The only reason I upgraded was to remove all the old legacy gauges in prep for a full panel upgrade.

One benefit of the 900 your eyes don’t have to wonder looking all over your panel at gauges.@jaylw314 you can sell it to your wife as a safety upgrade....:) I totally agree with@marauder if all our wives read these posts on MS and knew what you spent on everything there would be a lot more single pilots loosing their planes in a divorce...

I got your back...

I love my wife much more than I love my plane.  She's also hot and I will always put her needs first before buying plane stuff.

I wanted to make sure that I officially posted that in case she ever finds this site...

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

I love my wife much more than I love my plane.  She's also hot and I will always put her needs first before buying plane stuff.

I wanted to make sure that I officially posted that in case she ever finds this site...

Trial attorneys call this “making a record” :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find all the info I need on my 830. No reason to look at the factory gauges on a normal flight.  I doubt the primary versions are any more reliable. 
[mention=12769]xcrmckenna[/mention] what was the upgrade cost (parts only) for the 900 upgrade?  Did you sell the 830 or trade it in?

I always double checked against the primary’s. Specially on take off.

I bought a whole 900. I replaced the harnesses and all the probes. The. sold the complete 830 for $1,500. I don’t remember what the trade in price was.

My main reason for the upgrade to the 900 was taking all the old gauges out and cleaning up my panel. I installed the G5 at the same time and we removed the vacuum pump, a lot of wires, and gauges. All in all we removed 25 pounds of stuff.

• Like 2

My main reason for the upgrade to the 900 was taking all the old gauges out and cleaning up my panel. I installed the G5 at the same time and we removed the vacuum pump, a lot of wires, and gauges. All in all we removed 25 pounds of stuff.

Ditto except I added an Aera 660 as a poor mans MFD, removed the annunciator as well and lost 40lbs (my backup vac pump was 12lbs alone).
My goal is to get to 1000lbs useful load.

113a655a5e5656ca7fe4580e8d6d8617.jpg
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Ditto except I added an Aera 660 as a poor mans MFD, removed the annunciator as well and lost 40lbs (my backup vac pump was 12lbs alone).
My goal is to get to 1000lbs useful load.

113a655a5e5656ca7fe4580e8d6d8617.jpg

Looks great, do you use the Garmin 660 or 510 to push the flight plan to your iPad?  

On 8/22/2018 at 4:47 AM, JRam said:

So I definitely am in the CB club at the moment after the purchase and upgrades. I'm really mulling through everything I have read and all the advice. The engine (and turbo) is the one thing I have not had experience with. I've flown an M20E for 500 hours, the K will be a bit longer, but I think I'll get the feel for how she fly's pretty quick. What I am going to have to learn is the engine and care of it. So that's what makes this a difficult decision. Plus colored blinky lights > 1 color blinky lights ;-)

I recently had to repair my EDM 700 due to the display failing. I really wanted to go to the 830 and get the color display, etc but the cost to relocate it and cut the panel starts to get up there. I had the display repaired, added fuel flow ( and tapped into the existing Shadin ) and the built in USB port added for easy downloading ( plus my serial port was flakey and didn't work ). This about $1000. To upgrade to the 830 would have been closer to $4000 all said and done, due to relocating other instruments to find a home for it.

iain.

On August 23, 2018 at 9:18 AM, flyboy0681 said:

Can you post a photo or spec on the USB adapter.  I am tired of hauling the laptop to the airport too.

I went from 700 to 900. The 700 didn’t have fuel flow. If I was just doing an instrument monitor and not a full on upgrade I would have just upgraded the monitor and added fuel flow. Gotta weigh the costs for sure. The 700 is certainly better than no monitor at all and should serve you well in protecting equipment until you are able to upgrade.

2 hours ago, amillet said:

Can you post a photo or spec on the USB adapter.  I am tired of hauling the laptop to the airport too.

That wouldn't help too much since the JPI application still requires a Windows PC?  And a laptop would still require a USB to serial adapter?

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

That wouldn't help too much since the JPI application still requires a Windows PC?  And a laptop would still require a USB to serial adapter?

You could get a tiny cheap Windows tablet. I had one for Garmin Database updates, but it would work just as well for other things. I finally switched to a cheap 10" Laptop instead so I can use it for other things, the tablet didn't have much other use.

11 hours ago, Steve W said:

You could get a tiny cheap Windows tablet. I had one for Garmin Database updates, but it would work just as well for other things. I finally switched to a cheap 10" Laptop instead so I can use it for other things, the tablet didn't have much other use.

That's what I use, I was just trying to remember the last time I saw a tablet with an RS-232 serial port on it...maybe 15 years ago? :D  Otherwise, any recent tablet you'd need a USB-serial adapter anyway...

46 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

That's what I use, I was just trying to remember the last time I saw a tablet with an RS-232 serial port on it...maybe 15 years ago? :D  Otherwise, any recent tablet you'd need a USB-serial adapter anyway...

Well, yea, just get small one the size of an RS-232 cable and you'll be fine. The bigger problem is even the cheap tablets are USB-C now so you need a tiny adapter for that as well. Oh, hey, they do make a direct USB-C to RS-232, that doesn't look too horrible.

27 minutes ago, Steve W said:

Well, yea, just get small one the size of an RS-232 cable and you'll be fine. The bigger problem is even the cheap tablets are USB-C now so you need a tiny adapter for that as well. Oh, hey, they do make a direct USB-C to RS-232, that doesn't look too horrible.

The Acer tablet I use has a full USB-B connector on the detachable keyboard, so I just have to bring along the keyboard, but the whole package is still pretty light.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:44 PM, JRam said:

So I've come to a decision that doesn't seem like it has a good solution. On one hand, I'm broke from buying a new plane and putting a GTN 750 in it and replacing all the radios and getting ADS-B. On the other, I know I need some good information on the engine of my M20K so I can take care of her as well as possible. 

Currently, the plane has an EDM 700 in it. I have Savvy support and so I wanted to be able to get Savvy the data to ensure the plane was operating at the best temps, etc. The 700 may or may not download data (the shop is looking into it). They have a used EDM 830 which gets me what I need, but it sounds like they are concerned that they would need to double up on most the probes to get the data to the 830 because all of the other Mooney instruments would need to stay. And he thinks the cost would be nearly the same as putting in a 900. My goal in the future (who knows how long) is to move on to a Garmin 500 TXi to get rid of all the steam gauge mess and have the integrated EIS... unfortunately right now, not in the cards.

So herein lies my questions:

1.) Thoughts on the EDM 700? Will I be happy leaving it installed instead of upgrading at this time?

2.) Is going with a 900 worth 11-12 AMUs and another week of installation if I am going to upgrade in the next 3-5 years to something like the TXi?

3.) Does it make sense that the 830 wouldn't be able to just pull in the same feeds that the other instruments are getting and leave them all in place?

(This would be why you guys suggested I get what avionics I wanted already installed...the 'I told ya so' is noted! But I'm still pretty happy with the deal.)

Given that you already have the 700 and you want to upgrade to the full Garmin TXi in a few years I would not go with the 900.  The 900 is an awesome unit but if it were my aircraft  I would just save the $$ for the Garmin and upgrade the 700 to the EDM730/830, if you were not planning on the Garmin I would say go with the 900/930.  I originally had the 700 in my J and upgraded it to the 830 by changing the display and adding the MP and RMP sensors, everything is plug and play with your existing harness for the 700.  How much does your shop want to charge for the used 830 and do you have the space in the panel for the 730/830?  If I understand your post correctly you already have the EDM 700 and the associated probes and sensors correct?  The install is real easy, I did it myself and had my friendly A&P/IA sign it off.  I am a JPI dealer and I am happy to answer any questions you may have even if you don't buy from me.

• Like 1