AP and Turns

JP Dice

I have an Aspen setup with STEC-30 AP and Garmin 430W. When I'm commanding the AP with either the heading bug or have GPSS engaged - I notice the turns seem to be at 1/2 bank instead of standard rate. The means the the AP will easily blow through the final approach course on an instrument approach. Is there anyway to change the turn rate on the AP configured with the Aspen?

Thanks!

JP Dice

That is usually a setting in the autopilot. It is usually called the bank or turn limit. 

An autopilot sees an error from whatever is controlling it. It turns this into a bank angle proportional to the error. The bank has to be limited or the plane would roll inverted with a large error. 

I've never worked with your autopilot, but it has to have this setting.

I have an Aspen setup with STEC-30 AP and Garmin 430W. When I'm commanding the AP with either the heading bug or have GPSS engaged - I notice the turns seem to be at 1/2 bank instead of standard rate. The means the the AP will easily blow through the final approach course on an instrument approach. Is there anyway to change the turn rate on the AP configured with the Aspen?
Thanks!
JP Dice

Something is not set correctly. I have an Aspen setup with an STEC 60. It will fly either standard rate or something less depending on airspeed and angle of intercept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My ovation with a garmin 530 and king autopilot did the same thing.  I flew it to executive autopilot in sacramento CA and they fixed it and a bunch of other little issues in less than three hours.  Now it works like a charm.  The two other avionics shops I tried, just poked at it and said it was an old autopilot.   Executive simply said it needed to be adjusted and they promptly did so.  The lesson I learned.  Bale as soon as the prospective avionics shop starts to demonstrate a lack of experience FIXING the issue vs simply replacing parts.  Good luck