ICON A5

jackn

Seems like they would want to fly the others as well instead of trailering them.  Only a few of them actually flying though and for the money you can get a much more substantial plane.  

Also, way too many fatal accidents in such a short time give me concern for anyone who fly's this.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I was really intrigued by Icon's marketing over the past decade - trying to appeal to a whole new audience of non-pilots.  Seemed like getting more people interested in aviation had to be a good thing, even if we all sort of cringe when we hear terms like "a jet ski for the sky." 

But to say nothing of the purchase agreement controversy and the high-profile crashes, I just don't see how the economics work for Icon. 

The A5 looks freaking cool, and I'd love to own one, but you can buy a base SeaRey for $124k (vs a base A5 at $269k), or the high-end SeaRey for $169k (vs a high-end A5 at $369k).  That price disparity is insane for roughly-equivalent aircraft, especially given that the SeaRey has a 25-year track record and the A5 still has all the kinks to work out.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, toto said:

I was really intrigued by Icon's marketing over the past decade - trying to appeal to a whole new audience of non-pilots.  Seemed like getting more people interested in aviation had to be a good thing, even if we all sort of cringe when we hear terms like "a jet ski for the sky." 

But to say nothing of the purchase agreement controversy and the high-profile crashes, I just don't see how the economics work for Icon. 

The A5 looks freaking cool, and I'd love to own one, but you can buy a base SeaRey for $124k (vs a base A5 at $269k), or the high-end SeaRey for $169k (vs a high-end A5 at $369k).  That price disparity is insane for roughly-equivalent aircraft, especially given that the SeaRey has a 25-year track record and the A5 still has all the kinks to work out.

That  purchase agreement turned me a wish-I-could-have-one of those dreamers, to a wouldn't-touch-that-with-a-ten-foot-pole doubter.  Money no object (which it is) so this is all just shooting the breeze.

That SeaRey looks great.  There was a fellow here who used to fly a Mooney Rocket and also own a SeaRey.  Mazar.  I think eventually he sold the rocket and kept the SeaRey.  Nice airplanes.

The Icon is a nice airplane, and I think the marketing is the main reason it attracted and encouraged the kind of flying that have resulted in some fatal flights.  But I suspect the airplane is very good.  But for the price associated with that horrific purchase agreement...no way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Why aren't they flying it?!

Because future customers are on the roads and not in the air. Notice the logo on the wing facing outwards. That's product placement perfectly for road warriors to know the answer to "WHOA! What was that?!?!" They're appealing to my generation; hoping to get pictures taken at fuel stops, blow it up on Instagram, attract the 20-somethings that either has Daddy's money and lives an extravagant lifestyle or those lucky enough to work for what they own and want something they can play in on the weekend.

Not to speak ill of previous customers, but I don't think it is the safest option. But you know the rule, safety third.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I saw the trailered Icon coming through Woodstock, VT a couple of Saturdays ago.   If I hadn't been dead on my feet from a red eye back to Boston and wanting to get home I might have chased it down to see where it was going.

• Like 1

Aug 2007 I first saw one at a wooden boat show on Lake Tahoe.It did not fly at all the 2 days I was there with an Amphib Husky.They were impressed with my rough water takeoffs as the winds typically picked up in the afternoon.I asked about its capabilities and performance and the answer I got back was not encouraging,at least for a high elevation lake like Tahoe.They quoted less than 100 k when certification was expected in 2010(yeah right!!)It was than put back into covered trailer and driven back home at end of show

I really like the idea of the A-5 as well, but also don't like the sales agreement.

The sea ray may not be as sexy, nor quite as quick, but it's a dependable design that's been around for 2+ decades now.  Go to their website (noted above) and learn about an australian adventurer who flew it to 25 countries over 7 months retracing an historic flight.  Neat 3 minute trailer.

Still would be cool to own a part of an A5 one day.  My problem is I want to own a part of MANY aircraft.  

-Seth

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was doing a little work with them and convinced them to take me for a flight, I got about an hour of flight time and did three water landings and one back at the factory. The airplane is very easy to fly. I describe it as feeling like flight simulator set to easy, it performed well for it's purpose, very light on the controls, made my C model feel like a tank in comparison. I don't believe the accidents were the fault of the airplane's performance; it can circle or make a 180 degree turn in a remarkably small radius, and the stall resistance is quite something, it just sort of shakes a little as it descends with compete aileron authority. Those who have said the kind of flying one does with an ICON is inherently dangerous, flying low level with close terrain interaction, may have a point, but it sure is fun! Now if you only have 400k in your airplane budget this may not be your first pick, but if you got a few bucks and you already have an TBM, an Ultra, and Supercub, and you got an extra garage spot at your lake house...?  

Edited by Heloman
  • Like 2