Before and After..warning, not a Mooney

Finally got the Twin Comanche out of the 60s. She's not as slick and nice as the Mooney, but it is looking better for a budget build and she is solid as a rock. Love the Mooney, Really like the Twin.

The Comanche has 530W, S-TEC 55X A/P, 345 Transponder, FS210, Many speed mods by previous owner. So far I've done new exterior graphics, polished spinners, static cling tint to windows, new interior upholstery, new carpet, repaired broken plastic, re-placarded  and painted the dash panel and glare shield. No avionics upgrades other than the FS210. Engines are 475 SMHO.

As the old song said, "Torn between to lovers"..

Anyway, quick before and after of the Comanche.

PA30.jpg

comanche old.jpg

• Like 8

13 hours ago, laytonl said:

Twinkies are neat airplanes.  Just remember you now have doubled your chance of engine failure!  Lee

I don't know Lee... She still maintains a climb (be it very slow I'll admit) even on one engine. It might have actually increased my chance to land safely with just one. We did several full engine outs and completely dirty it still maintained controllability. Being a smaller twin I also was a doubter about the flying ability and one engine theory in the Comanche, but I will say it will stay above blue line with careful management. It's not a Baron, Dutchess or something with more HP, but think they don't get the credit due as far as single engine out ops. I would have preferred to find one with CR props, mine does not. So extra attention is due to compensate for non-CR props.

Just my .02...  I'm only about 50 hrs in it now, so still learning, but really feel it would get me safely to the closest airport on just one engine. Hope we never have to find out.

-Tom

• Like 4

On 8/18/2018 at 8:52 PM, TWinter said:

Finally got the Twin Comanche out of the 60s. She's not as slick and nice as the Mooney, but it is looking better for a budget build and she is solid as a rock. Love the Mooney, Really like the Twin.

The Comanche has 530W, S-TEC 55X A/P, 345 Transponder, FS210, Many speed mods by previous owner. So far I've done new exterior graphics, polished spinners, static cling tint to windows, new interior upholstery, new carpet, repaired broken plastic, re-placarded  and painted the dash panel and glare shield. No avionics upgrades other than the FS210. Engines are 475 SMHO.

As the old song said, "Torn between to lovers"..

Anyway, quick before and after of the Comanche.

PA30.jpg

comanche old.jpg

Very nice transformation!

Clarence

11 hours ago, MIm20c said:

More pictures if you can but it looks great to me. Big update for minimal cost. Painted or vinyl wrap/stripe?

Vinyl wrap for now, maybe paint in the new few years. I only had a few pics on this computer of the old, but as you can imagine how the rest of the interior was. The seats, carpet and trim was well worn. The last picture is the finished painted and placarded panel. All in all pleased with the outcome on a slim budget. Going all of it in a non air conditioned hanger in July in Tennessee was not so much fun, but it does feel like a different plane. The paint needs a good buff to bring the old shine back, but that's for later in the season with cooler temps. 

-Tom

New dash panel10.jpg

armrest 10.jpg

seats gone.jpg

deats.jpg

Twinco 2.jpg

old picture comanche.jpg

seat 10.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:45 AM, TWinter said:

Vinyl wrap for now, maybe paint in the new few years. I only had a few pics on this computer of the old, but as you can imagine how the rest of the interior was. The seats, carpet and trim was well worn. The last picture is the finished painted and placarded panel. All in all pleased with the outcome on a slim budget. Going all of it in a non air conditioned hanger in July in Tennessee was not so much fun, but it does feel like a different plane. The paint needs a good buff to bring the old shine back, but that's for later in the season with cooler temps. 

-Tom

New dash panel10.jpg

armrest 10.jpg

seats gone.jpg

deats.jpg

Twinco 2.jpg

old picture comanche.jpg

seat 10.jpg

Alright. I had a van that very shade of art deco  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a twinkie for a while. Mine would hold 9300' on one engine drifting down. Could get up to 8000 pretty easy albeit slowly going up. The O-320s are really bullet proof although I did have one cough up a valve on one flight. Piece came off the  valve (pie shaped piece) that went out the exhaust without hurting the piston or cylinder. Liked it so much I might get another one in a couple of years. 

7 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Had a twinkie for a while. Mine would hold 9300' on one engine drifting down. Could get up to 8000 pretty easy albeit slowly going up. The O-320s are really bullet proof although I did have one cough up a valve on one flight. Piece came off the  valve (pie shaped piece) that went out the exhaust without hurting the piston or cylinder. Liked it so much I might get another one in a couple of years. 

My Twin Comanche would hold 9,000 ft with one feathered without issue. That was probably close to 10,000 ft density altitude. They are amazing little twins. When I was looking for my current twin I considered them again but just could not find one in excellent shape. As a "budget" twin, most had "budget" maintenance and upgrades. It is much easier to find a pristine Baron and there is even the odd 310 that has been very well cared for. The only really nice Twin Comanche I came across sold literally within hours, before I saw the listing.

Of course finding any twin that has flown a lot recently is just about impossible. The Baron I bought had flown over 100 hours for each of the three years before I bought it and I've flown it well over 100 hours so far this year, it will end up over 150 hours this year.

Yes to find a good one is like a needle in a haystack. Most are hangar or ramp queens. Most are also projects waiting a sucker.

The biggest issue is the 1000 hr landing gear overhaul AD. I'd bet only 5% ever get a good overhaul. Most are pencil whipped from what I've seen. 

Find a good one and enjoy it. They're great little airplanes that Mooney should have built. A real Mooney twin :-)

160 kts on 15 GPH and 16-17000' is quite useable even NA. 

• Like 1