Factory O2 Valve Connection

When I picked up 1157L (purchased from US Marshal's service, no logs), the A&P had removed the O2 tank because it needed to be re-certified. Fortunately, he put it back in to do the W&B. He did not hook anything back up, including the valve actuator. She is now ready to be hooked back up again (what a pain to take out and re-install!!!), and I am having a little trouble figuring out how the actuator wire connects to the valve arm. Doe anyone happen to have a picture of that connection that they could share? It looks like there might be a tap where the pull wire threads through that would tighten down to hold the wire in place, but there is not a set screw there. Ive looked through the service manual and can't get an answer. Appreciate any help!

CH, you really want to have somebody extra knowledgeable working on that system...

Sleeping Mooney pilots aren’t very good at landings...

Unless you are really fortunate to land in a wide open field at Climbing speed.... (the one good example I have)

Just pointing out an idea, in case you haven’t thought this out...  losing O2 at high altitudes may go unnoticed... thinking of you.

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

CH, you really want to have somebody extra knowledgeable working on that system...

Sleeping Mooney pilots aren’t very good at landings...

Unless you are really fortunate to land in a wide open field at Climbing speed.... (the one good example I have)

Just pointing out an idea, in case you haven’t thought this out...  losing O2 at high altitudes may go unnoticed... thinking of you.

Best regards,

-a-

Charles,

concur with Carusaum.  It’s more than just a hex bolt.  It’s actually a pin with a slot, a hex nut and cotter key with a couple washers that need to be installed in the right order to not allow slippage and smooth operation in flight.  I had to work through a couple O2 issues when I first picked my airplane up.  @DonMuncy is a wealth of O2 knowledge.  I also called LAZAR who had the parts I needed and they may have a schematic of how to install.  Odds are they have seen this issue multiple times and have a kit with instructions ready to send you.

Also, I am not sure how much inflight O2 experience you have and because it can be a life or mishap situation I am going to offer my two cents on how I operate my O2. In the Navy as part of our checklist before we left the chocks we put the mask on and flipped the O2 switch and ensured good flow.  Obviously if you plan on taking off and climbing to altitude you don,t want to find out once your up there that you have no flow or be fiddling with it on the way up or at altitude as you slowly deplete you oxygen level.  So in my Mooney, after my start checklist and before taxi checklist I added a line......Check oxygen flow.....I put the cannula on, turn the lever on and adjust the nozzle to 18 thousand feet.  Then I turn off the main supply lever and drape the cannula around my neck.  

Climbung through 9500ish I put the cannula back on and open the supply.  I usually fly around 12-16K and I adjusted the O2 to 18K so I know I am receiving enough O2 during the climb.  Then I just adjust my flow after level off (power setting set and autopilot on) and Usually before i start messing with mixture.

some guys may ride the climb with the cannula on but I like having it off during taxi/takeoff and pattern climb.  It only takes a a couple seconds to put on if it’s already adjusted.  This is all VFR flying.  If it’s IFR, and I a am going in the gu after takeoff or anytime to altitude I will have it on for takeoff.

just my habit.....hope it helps and I am not placating.....

10 minutes ago, anthonydesmet said:

Charles,

concur with Carusaum.  It’s more than just a hex bolt.  It’s actually a pin with a slot, a hex nut and cotter key with a couple washers that need to be installed in the right order to not allow slippage and smooth operation in flight.  I had to work through a couple O2 issues when I first picked my airplane up.  @DonMuncy is a wealth of O2 knowledge.  I also called LAZAR who had the parts I needed and they may have a schematic of how to install.  Odds are they have seen this issue multiple times and have a kit with instructions ready to send you.

Also, I am not sure how much inflight O2 experience you have and because it can be a life or mishap situation I am going to offer my two cents on how I operate my O2. In the Navy as part of our checklist before we left the chocks we put the mask on and flipped the O2 switch and ensured good flow.  Obviously if you plan on taking off and climbing to altitude you don,t want to find out once your up there that you have no flow or be fiddling with it on the way up or at altitude as you slowly deplete you oxygen level.  So in my Mooney, after my start checklist and before taxi checklist I added a line......Check oxygen flow.....I put the cannula on, turn the lever on and adjust the nozzle to 18 thousand feet.  Then I turn off the main supply lever and drape the cannula around my neck.  

Climbung through 9500ish I put the cannula back on and open the supply.  I usually fly around 12-16K and I adjusted the O2 to 18K so I know I am receiving enough O2 during the climb.  Then I just adjust my flow after level off (power setting set and autopilot on) and Usually before i start messing with mixture.

some guys may ride the climb with the cannula on but I like having it off during taxi/takeoff and pattern climb.  It only takes a a couple seconds to put on if it’s already adjusted.  This is all VFR flying.  If it’s IFR, and I a am going in the gu after takeoff or anytime to altitude I will have it on for takeoff.

just my habit.....hope it helps and I am not placating.....

I am confused by your comment:

It’s more than just a hex bolt.  It’s actually a pin with a slot, a hex nut and cotter key with a couple washers that need to be installed in the right order to not allow slippage and smooth operation in flight.

I have the same Scott dual regulator assembly (removed from a 1998 Ovation).  When I last had mine overhauled, we changed the slotted screw to an AN machine screw and used the same binder nut.  We did this to allow a phillips head screw which was a bit longer to allow for easier application of a screwdriver and wrench to loosen and tighten it.  The original was nothing more than a machine screw.  Am I mising something here?

John Breda

I have spoken with the guys at Lasar several times already on the plane. They were a great resource. Will start there! anthonydesmet, I appreciate your insight, and will add that to the checklist. 

Mooney pilots are a great resource, and MooneySpace in particular!