I have a new mistress

JRam

So with permission from my wife (in fact, she cheered me on), I went searching for a mistress. I would talk about my search at the bars and went online posting for love. I looked all over! I found an old girl born in the late 60's, still pretty, but someone married her before I got a chance to make my move. The same thing happened a few times before I contacted a guy in Texas who was offering to introduce me a number of girls. None were quite right, some were gorgeous on the outside but inside her personality was just off, I would find the perfect girl but she ended up being a gold digger, there was always something.

Then one day a guy approached me with a proposition and the girl seemed to check all the boxes. After checking out all the details I jumped in. Had the doc check out her vitals and yesterday finally closed the deal! I am now a proud owner of a 1984 (built in Dec 83) Mooney M20K 231(What did you think I was talking about?!).

My awards speech:

Really appreciate this communities help in walking me through what it is I really wanted. It is a great community that I'm learning a lot from. I considered everything and while I didn't exactly follow all the guidance, I did think through it all. (One thing is I didn't get an aircraft with the avionics I wanted in it already and I realize I'm spending a bit more because of that)
Specifically, thank you @Frank B. for your patience, @gsxrpilot for your guidance and insight, and @mccdeuce keeping me from jumping at the wrong option. 
I cannot thank Daytona Aircraft Services enough. Those guys are amazing, @jclemens had to sit on the phone and listen to me ask about the pre-buy status and he and his team had to listen to me waver on how I wanted to upgrade the avionics for hours on end.

Thank you all for all the help. I look forward to getting more engaged in the community. I'll be attending events up in the NE for sure and will be looking for any reason to get all over the country!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

Congrats!!  Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I'm pretty excited, it's been too long since I've tried to squeeze myself in a Mooney and let it push me back in my seat! It's just unfortunate that I no longer have a "disposable income" any longer! It's all going to get disposed in to that plane! And I love it!

Edited by JRam

I'm pretty excited, it's been too long since I've tried to squeeze myself in a Mooney and let it push me back in my seat! It's just unfortunate that I no longer have a "disposable income" any longer! It's all going to get disposed in to that plane! And I love it!

It’s true there is money in airplanes, because we keep putting money in them... congrats!!!! I’m sure you’ll have that smile on your face for a long time!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This seemed appropriate for this thread...apologies to the (human) ladies present.

Why men prefer airplanes over women

• Airplanes do not get mad if you “touch and go”.
  • Airplanes do not have Mother-in-Laws.
  • Airplanes do not take forever to get ready.
  • Airplanes do not care how many other airplanes you have flown with before.
  • Behavior of airplanes follows logical rules.
  • The maintenance of an airplane is cheaper than the maintenance of a woman. 
  • Airplanes come with instructions.
  • An airplane will kill you quickly...a woman takes her time.
  • Haha 2

This seemed appropriate for this thread...apologies to the (human) ladies present.

Why men prefer airplanes over women

• Airplanes do not get mad if you “touch and go”.
  • Airplanes do not have Mother-in-Laws.
  • Airplanes do not take forever to get ready.
  • Airplanes do not care how many other airplanes you have flown with before.
  • Behavior of airplanes follows logical rules.
  • The maintenance of an airplane is cheaper than the maintenance of a woman. 
  • Airplanes come with instructions.
  • An airplane will kill you quickly...a woman takes her time.

Women are easy to hot start, it’s the cold starts are tougher.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OK, in the interest of fairness...

Why Women Prefer Airplanes

• Airplanes can be turned off when you don’t wish to fly.
  • An airplane doesn’t “let down” before it’s time.
  • With an airplane, size matters.
  • An airplane takes gas, a man passes it.
  • Airplanes can be overhauled when the engine sputters.
  • Airplanes do not perform over-gross.
  • Airplanes don’t come with drinking buddies.
  • Airplanes eventually stop whining.
  • Airplanes don’t use drag, thrust, wait and balance as a checklist.
  • Airplanes know what a final approach is.
  • Airplanes don’t mind if you position and hold.
  • In an airplane a soft field landing isn’t a disappointment.
  • Airplanes don’t mind if you’d rather just cuddle.
  • Only toy airplanes run by remote control.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Seth said:

Congratulations!!!!

When is your new bird due at your airport?

-Seth

Mid September-ish I will go pick her up from Daytona Aircraft Services and spend some time with an instructor to transition before bringing her home.

6 hours ago, FlyingBliss said:

Congrats, great looking aircraft!  Where in the NE do you fly? I’m in Nashua and will be searching for my mistress in the near future.  I may reach out to pick your brain. 

I will be flying out of Manassas, VA. Please feel free to reach out, I'll help in any way I can. There are so many more capable folks on this board than me, but I'll be happy to walk you through my efforts.

The best advice I was given to start was to spend time watching the "for sales" even now when you aren't ready to buy so you can learn what prices are reasonable. Take a look at All American Aircraft as they tend to be priced right for the market. Then when you are ready, you are informed.

Also, Congrats.

I am also based at Manassas, (west side, city hangar) drop me a line when things settle down.

I do have a number of a great Mooney instructor. , if interested.

He flew down with me to NC to pick up my 201.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Also, Congrats.

I am also based at Manassas, (west side, city hangar) drop me a line when things settle down.

I do have a number of a great Mooney instructor. , if interested.

He flew down with me to NC to pick up my 201.

Would love to get that number. I will get 5 hours in while down in Florida and then would like to continue once I get back up in HEF. I'm also trying to continue my training in to commercial and then CFI/CFII. So getting that info would be great, especially if they have some time with turbo normalized Mooney's.

7 hours ago, Pritch said:

I hope you are following the tread in Modern Moneys by Coffee Can, "231 Power Settings" and research articles by jlunseth, he has written some great stuff

Pritch

I'm following that post religiously. Honestly I'm a bit freaked out about the making sure I get the power right. In my E model, I didn't have to worry as much, it was pretty straightforward.

I'll look up the other posts as well, I am very interested in best options. I've never been a LOP pilot, so I'll need to really have my research down before I ever operate in that space as well.

On 8/20/2018 at 11:10 AM, JRam said:

So getting that info would be great, especially if they have some time with turbo normalized Mooney's.

@JRam,

Congrats on the purchase and hope the transition is a painless one for you.  Just an FYI, the 231 is not "Turbo Normalized", it is Turbo Supercharged.  It has the ability to build manifold pressure over and above sea-level pressure up to critical altitude (15k 16k normally).  You'll want your instructor to be very familiar with the workings of your turbo system.

Ron