Fuel bladders installation

The work has begun!

Following recommendations from Griggs top and bottom senders plus gauges unit sent to overhaul. Not necessary to remove bottom panels (except the top sender ones...) but just top inspection panels. More to come..

112C4373-341F-4C55-8684-F019D574EBE8.jpeg

Edited by FastTex
  • Like 4

We added a bladder cell on each side to our '66E giving us 64 gallons usable. I was not sure the cost of the bladders for the extra 10 gallons but comfortably going to and from KOSH in July was awesome.  (The original bladder conversion was done in 1997 and those cells seem to be as good as new.)

IMG_20171214_130752328_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FastTex said:

[WARNING, the drift continues...;-)] Yes, indeed! Did you have lunch at the Runway Cafe? We love downtown as well!

No, but we did eat at Smoke on the Water and caught a minor league baseball game.  We'll definitely be back.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FastTex said:

[WARNING, the drift continues...;-)] Yes, indeed! Did you have lunch at the Runway Cafe? We love downtown as well!

We are really proud of our downtown.  I keep changing jobs just to make sure I stay here.  Moved here from GA about 10 years ago and couldn't be happier! 

• Like 2

Lots of nice Shiney stuff looking at the bladders what is your opinon on how sturdy and tear resistant they are. It's my humble opinion since no test or statistical information to back it up that bladders provide additional safety in the event of an off field landing or crash reducing the possibility of fuel spill and fire. 

1 hour ago, bonal said:

Lots of nice Shiney stuff looking at the bladders what is your opinon on how sturdy and tear resistant they are. It's my humble opinion since no test or statistical information to back it up that bladders provide additional safety in the event of an off field landing or crash reducing the possibility of fuel spill and fire. 

I can give you one data point.... NTSB inspected my 64E with bladders about a month after recovery from a soybean field.  They were surprised that the right wing didn't leak fuel after the main gear separated and punctured the underside of the wing.

• Like 4

Today I went to see my Mooney. Status update: old fuel caps removed, protective foam installed and taped, connecting holes drilled. All senders (four...) and gauges came back overhauled. They look new. She should be ready next week. See pics below!

20180825_103013.jpg

20180825_104628.jpg

20180825_102811.jpg

Edited by FastTex
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Installation completed! Yesterday I finally flew my M20F, just a test flight but it looks good.

With the bladders you also get new fuel drains with anti-ice screen (I think it also block bugs from entering, as you can see below...) and new sumps.

20180908_125135.jpg

20180908_125207.jpg

Drain zoom.jpg

Edited by FastTex
  • Like 2