New VHF comm ideas

Hi guys, I am in dire need of replacing at least one of my aging NAV/COM units... they are getting embarrassingly bad. I currently have two KX170b's in there and while the NAV portion of both works perfectly, pretty much everything else is a crapshoot. It's getting to the point where I don't even want to shoot IFR with them because it gets quiet and I have to wiggle the knobs and sure enough there's a controller repeatedly trying to get a hold of me. 

Anyway, sheesh... so the thing is... we just spent 3k on the engine. Just rewired the gear system, annual next month... we are bleeding money. I don't want to out more garbage in and need some ideas on what to do without breaking the bank. Please help.

Contact the guy with used radios...  @Alan Fox to see what he has at what price...

A garmin430W would be somewhat ideal... non-WAAS would be lower cost and put you in line with installing an Avidyne  when funds become more available...

There may be some slide in replacements or updates for the BKs called ... something like TKMs?

That first year can be tough...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Contact the guy with used radios...  @Alan Fox to see what he has at what price...

There may be some slide in replacements or updates for the BKs called ... something like TKMs?

That first year can be tough...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks! Yeah its beating me down a bit. Just one thing after another. Having some intermittent charging issues now too. Smh... just.... grrrrr. Anyhow, I have a TKM in my trunk I got used super cheap but like... it doesn't broadcast basically at all and doesn't recieve barely at al, localizer has poor sensitivity as well. Avionics shop says it's fine but like... it doesn't work in the same damn slot as my good 170B so... yeah. I'll contact Alan thanks.

Contact cleaner and chasing all connectors all the way back to the antenna...

PP thoughts only, no radio experience at all...

Also Check the stuff for sale section to see if a KLN90B is for sale in there... great non-WAAS nav...

Getting a Garmin com only radio is pretty low cost...

All the install cost are the bummer...

Key thing is a decent ILS receiver is important to you.. a non-WAAS gps won’t cut it...

got a portable from Sporty’s for back-up?  Nav/com/ILS...   Or other...?

Best regards,

-a-

There are shops that still work on the old KX-170s. Most of the guys who do really enjoy doing it.  Your radios probably just need some tune up and basic maintenance work.

Check out 

http://kx170b.com/

His site says he is closed after August 31, but he may be able to recommend someone else.

• Like 1

Once you have verified all your connections to the antenna are good and secure, verify connectors on the tray are good and making good contact from the shell to the tray and all small wires to audio panels are good and secure 

You could always look at TKM they make a slide in replacement for your 170 yes it is 3AMUs but no installation.

http://tkmavionics.com/our-products/mx170c-navcomm/

Find a used KX170 that is servicable (they're not that expensive or hard to find), or a used TKM MX-170C.   Both will be side-in replacements and owner servicable, i.e., ZERO installation cost.   Slide the old one out, slide the new one in.