Tempest oil filters

mooneyflyfast

4 hours ago, RLCarter said:

If you don't feel like doing the math, clocking the crows foot 90° will get you close, but they are wrong. 

And the point of using the crows foot is that access is difficult, so you can't always set torque with it turned like that.    I don't think I can get mine on that way.

Or you can just realize that the torque spec of 16-18 (or 16-20 depending on what you're looking at) has a fair amount of tolerance already.    If you're worried about over-torquing the filter due to the addition of the crow's foot, the torque spec has more slop than the small addition of the crows foot to the lever arm.   Set the torque wrench toward the lower end of the spec tolerance, or, if you're really anal, calculate the reduced torque spec for the length extension and use that instead.

I don't think there's room for a socket of any kind on the A3B6D in my J, so I've been using the crow's foot.   Plus I use a Harbor Freight torque wrench, so it just gets it reasonably close without going grossly over or under.   I don't think this is one of those things that really needs that much precision.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

It’s expensive but works great to take the filter off and on.

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/AA472.php?clickkey=655613

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were doing more than 3 oil changes a year I think I'd buy that one as well. It's a single purpose tool preset at 17 ft lbs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Youse guys ever have your "built in torque gage" double checked with a boring old torque wrench? Do spark plugs get more precise tightening? 

I use a torque wrench on my plugs, but there's no socket space between the oil filter and the firewall. There's barely room to unscrew the filter.

23 hours ago, mooneyflyfast said:

Never used Tempest filters before. Today I tried to install a 48103 Tempest oil filter and was surprised that my 1" six point  socket would not fit over the hex.  No other way to tighten or torque it on my J model that I could figure out.

No more Tempest filters for me. Been using Champions with 0 problems for years.

IMG_0878.JPG

The engraving on that socket may have something to do with the issue.....  maybe there’s a little metric blood in the genes :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hank said:

I use a torque wrench on my plugs, but there's no socket space between the oil filter and the firewall. There's barely room to unscrew the filter.

Hence the crow's foot method.    There's no way to get a socket on mine, either.

The clearance is tight.   The guys that installed my JPI EDM900 made a billet mount for all the sensors and attached it to the engine mount tubing.    I was stopping by occasionally (thank goodness) and mentioned that nobody would ever be able to change the oil filter again with that mounted there.   They moved them to the firewall.   Apparently that was a little more work.  ;)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Hank said:

The ~$15 oil filter torque wrench I linked above should work in your close quarters. 

12-01676.jpg

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Yes, have one of those, too, for removing the filter but what about torquing it back on?

Spin the filter on until the gasket just barely makes contact with the filter mount.  Tighten a little more than 3/4 of a turn.  Safety wire.

I will neither confirm nor deny that I use this technique in lieu of a torque wrench.

• Like 3

2 pages of replies and @mooneyflyfast still doesn't like tempest oil filters, the 2 guys in the videos are wrong (not by much, but still wrong), I still get pissed when I see someone back drag a file or saw blade, and for gods sake if you don't know which end of the screw driver to hit with the ratchet when chiseling a nut loose check the internet

• Haha 3

Come to think of it I may have had a situation with a tempest filter where the paint made the “nut” a bit stiff on my box wrench but nothing a little elbow grease didn’t make quick work of. 

Just make sure the box fully goes over the nut. :)

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

11 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

It’s expensive but works great to take the filter off and on.

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/AA472.php?clickkey=655613

Yes, works great! It was a “wife, buy this for me for Christmas” present. She smiles every time she sees me using it... 

+1 for Tempest

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

You guys make this far more complicated than it needs to be..

51KjbReftkL._SL1000_.jpg

-Robert

Yes gasket contact plus 3/4 turn gets it every time. You’re looking for a rubber gasket crush. Depending on a few factors, 18ftlb torque may not be close.

Its the same thing with the crush  gasket on the oil sump screen.  

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Spin the filter on until the gasket just barely makes contact with the filter mount.  Tighten a little more than 3/4 of a turn.  Safety wire.

I will neither confirm nor deny that I use this technique in lieu of a torque wrench.

My original mechanic had me screw on firmly by hand, and then 2 flats (1/3 turn)

That's worked for me on multiple aircraft over 20 years and I guess 50+ filters - never a leak yet! (and more importantly, not a problem to get them off again!)

• Like 2

Still need to be careful. From one of the reviews on the Spruce website:

“Made in China equals sloppy calibtation for torque. It was not even close to the correct torque for proper tightness for the filter. Resulting in the filter being excessively tight. Works fine for removing filter but not installation.”

2 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Still need to be careful. From one of the reviews on the Spruce website:

“Made in China equals sloppy calibtation for torque. It was not even close to the correct torque for proper tightness for the filter. Resulting in the filter being excessively tight. Works fine for removing filter but not installation.”

Was this person using the torque wrench to remove the filter?   Might have something to do with why it's not holding calibration.  ;)

• Like 3