Tempest oil filters

mooneyflyfast

Never used Tempest filters before. Today I tried to install a 48103 Tempest oil filter and was surprised that my 1" six point  socket would not fit over the hex.  No other way to tighten or torque it on my J model that I could figure out.

No more Tempest filters for me. Been using Champions with 0 problems for years.

IMG_0878.JPG

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

Try a 12 pt... My combo wrench and oil filter torque wrench both fit fine. Tempest is making great products while Champion was resting on their back end and letting quality slip, so only tempest for me.

Ditto....and agree.

To the OP - Give Tempest a fair chance.  Their customer support is impeccable; to which several others on here have attested, and I can also confirm.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

Try a 12 pt... My combo wrench and oil filter torque wrench both fit fine. Tempest is making great products while Champion was resting on their back end and letting quality slip, so only tempest for me.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

+1 for tempest

• Like 1

I also have never had a problem with Champion CH-48110 oil filters in the last 11 years. But I use a 1" box end wrench, as there is no room to put a socket wrench behind my O-360. In fact, there is barely room to unscrew the filter . . .

• Like 2

Crows foot works, too.  The Tempest filters are awesome, especially with the pre-lubed gaskets.

I recently used a 1” crows foot wrench on the champion and it worked great. It looks like I might have enough room for a stubby 1” socket which I’d prefer but the crows foot worked just fine.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

There's not room behind my IO360 for a socket. And the filter is supposed to be torqued to 16-18 ft lb so I use something like this. It works fine with my torque wrench on Tempest filters.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/1201675.php?clickkey=32916

be careful....adding length to the torque bar changes the actual torque.   there may be better explanations online, but take a look at this vid:

I did not think I had to tell you A&P wannabees that torque is a product of length times weight. (That's implied in "foot pounds".) When I torque the filter the 
"wrench extension" is ~90 deg to the handle. But there are many other dos and don'ts for using all kinds of tools. Be careful out there.