1977 Mooney . How do you switch tanks in flight?

Don M

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a Mooney 201J  since April of this year. I am struggling switching tanks when flying as the fuel tank lever is on the floor. Has anyone seen some sort of tool that is available for this purpose so I don’t need to bend down go switch tanks?

thank you,

Don

ps: love my plane. I transitioned from a piper Arrow11.

30 minutes ago, Don M said:

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a Mooney 201J  since April of this year. I am struggling switching tanks when flying as the fuel tank lever is on the floor. Has anyone seen some sort of tool that is available for this purpose so I don’t need to bend down go switch tanks?

thank you,

Don

ps: love my plane. I transitioned from a piper Arrow11.

This is the tool that I purchased and I am happy with. (We share the same problem with the Cessna Cardinal series.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mooney-Fuel-Selector-Arm-Extender/142560991626

s-l1600.jpg

10 minutes ago, autopatch said:

This is the tool that I purchased and I am happy with. (We share the same problem with the Cessna Cardinal series.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mooney-Fuel-Selector-Arm-Extender/142560991626

s-l1600.jpg

Interesting. Does it connect to the lever throughout the flight? If, yes How? 

Edited by FastTex

1 hour ago, FastTex said:

Interesting. Does it connect to the lever throughout the flight? If, yes How? 

No. It is just an extension of your reach. You can make one out of PVC pipe from HomeDepot as @N201MKTurbo said. Just cut a notch in the end to fit over the tank selector. Use it to switch tanks and then stow it in a side pocket or somewhere convenient. 

• Like 1

I just undo my shoulder belt and enjoy a bit of self-fellatio while I change the tanks.  I have to admit, I am very afraid of running a tank dry at low altitude.  I have to take off my shoulder belt at a moment when its services may be vitally important, and boy am I worried about how that report is going to be written.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Welcome aboard, Don!

Official Transition Training didn’t cover the Mooney diet and stretching exercises?  :)

While you are looking at building the official tool for switching tanks...

Also look up the other tool you want... something to verify fuel level in the tanks while on the ground...

That Al Mooney guy was very slim.

Best regards,

-a-

The old location is on the floor in front of the pilot...

When you look down for it, the yoke is sort of in the way...

Bending to reach it becomes more of a challenge the further you are from ‘standard’ pilot.

Trying to dodge yourself and the yoke while operating the valve is a real challenge...  :)

centered between the pilots makes a lot more sense...

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

The old location is on the floor in front of the pilot...

When you look down for it, the yoke is sort of in the way...

Bending to reach it becomes more of a challenge the further you are from ‘standard’ pilot.

Trying to dodge yourself and the yoke while operating the valve is a real challenge...  :)

centered between the pilots makes a lot more sense...

Best regards,

-a-

I lean forward, turning my head to the left and dropping my right shoulder to reach the floor between and behind my feet . . . Having  gained a few pounds in my decade of ownership, it's more difficult than before. But I'm working on reducing my midsection; so far, I've gained back ~3 gal of fuel.  :)  And switching tanks is much easier, after start on the ground and in the air. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/16/2018 at 11:51 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

Or you can make one at the Home Depot for about $1 if you already have the glue. The glue will set you back about $5

You have the size of the groove? 

When I bought this Mooney two years ago, first time I tried the swap tank in flight, what the heck?  Can't reach the selector!  Don't remember that being a problem 35 years ago.  Strained to get it, then found the red plastic tee handle.

If you make your own, just remember to have the notch and tee aligned so it is easy to tell the selector is turned all the way right or left.

Anyone with a C and worried about running one tank dry ought to purposely try it sometime and see how easily and quickly the engine restarts.  Don't try it at 500' off the departure end of the runway.