Stupid owner tricks

markejackson02

In the course of installing new RG-400 coax, I used my awesome new LED worklight.  Whiiich turned out to have a rather powerful magnet in the base.  Now my compass is off by about 30 degrees.

I was gonna remove the compass and take it out of the plane to see if it is still jacked up.  If so, is a new compass the only alternative?  If not, time to break out the degaussing wand.

8 minutes ago, markejackson02 said:

In the course of installing new RG-400 coax, I used my awesome new LED worklight.  Whiiich turned out to have a rather powerful magnet in the base.  Now my compass is off by about 30 degrees.

I was gonna remove the compass and take it out of the plane to see if it is still jacked up.  If so, is a new compass the only alternative?  If not, time to break out the degaussing wand.

A compass cannot have any errors. The only thing that can make it read wrong is external magnetic fields. The compass housing is made out of non-magnet material and is unlikely to get magnetized. The steel tubes are another matter. 

If you take the compass out to check it, remove the compensation assembly. It will cause it to read wrong out of the aircraft. 

Your compass is probably ok. Check if it works outside your plane to make sure.  If you want to hear about degaussing adventures, I offer you my previous thread. I am working on the screenplay version. It is an epic story of heartbreak, struggle against adversity, and eventual triumph ;).  

Pro tips: (1) take your compass out of plane and put it in another zip code while degaussing - otherwise you will really need a new compass.  (2) More current through your degaussing coil is better, but don't burn or electrocute yourself. (3) turn off coil AFTER exiting the plane - otherwise it will remagnetize your steel frame (4) If degaussing the steel frame doesn't do the job, you have to do the engine mount. Ask me how I know...

• Like 3