Twitchy oil pressure

Joe Larussa

It is unlikely that the mechanical gauge is twitchy. 

When the oil pressure gets twitchy it usually means that the oil pickup is sucking in air. This can be caused by low oil level, a leaking suction screen or the gasket between the sump and the accessory housing is leaking. It could also be the oil pump itself.

If it is an electrical gauge then a bad wire can make it twitchy.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

It is unlikely that the mechanical gauge is twitchy. 

When the oil pressure gets twitchy it usually means that the oil pickup is sucking in air. This can be caused by low oil level, a leaking suction screen or the gasket between the sump and the accessory housing is leaking.

Which is exactly what happened to me two years ago. The needle was "twitching", but never headed into the red. When I shut down and checked the dipstick it showed - nothing.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Which is exactly what happened to me two years ago. The needle was "twitching", but never headed into the red. When I shut down and checked the dipstick it showed - nothing.

:o Where did oil go?

15 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

:o Where did oil go?

Into the ether. There was no oil in the case, there was no oil underneath and there was no oil within the cowl. The tear down revealed a stuck exhaust value, which means we were trailing smoke for quite a distance.

17 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Into the ether. There was no oil in the case, there was no oil underneath and there was no oil within the cowl. The tear down revealed a stuck exhaust value, which means we were trailing smoke for quite a distance.

With a stuck exhaust valve was the engine vibrating?

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

With a stuck exhaust valve was the engine vibrating?

Clarence

Not one bit. As a matter of fact, I was flying that day with a buddy who flies for American and is an A&P and he didn't notice anything until the needle started dancing around.

That describes an OilP sensor with an alternate oil level indicator.  

Two people indicate oil levels below 5qts allows air into the oil pick up line...

with the addition of a quart of oil, the OilP readings stabilize again...

Joe, have you added a JPI to your panel yet?

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

That describes an OilP sensor with an alternate oil level indicator.  

Two people indicate oil levels below 5qts allows air into the oil pick up line...

with the addition of a quart of oil, the OilP readings stabilize again...

Best regards,

-a-

I do have a EDM 700 but it doesn't have oil pressure hooked up yet. Was thinking of switching to the EDM 730.

Just now, carusoam said:

After this little incident (which cost > $30k), we had the oil pressure option added to the JPI 700. Imagine that, if we had the $265 sensor installed at the time,  it may have saved over thirty grand.

• Like 2

JPI has a few instruments that are great for integrating all the data from the usual sensors and include the FF and GPS data...

Just use caution, if you have a plan to go certified 900/930 that uses a handful of different certified sensors.

So if you plan on using your J as a forever-plane... certified is a great way to go...

Or the 830(?) which is very similar with a color screen and updated graphics and faster processor (data points per time)... just not certified...

Or see how much you can integrate with the existing 700... as old as it is... it is very capable. Including FF and GPS, I believe...

Best regards,

-a-