Any feedback on KSN770

Hello

I am looking to get GNSS RNAV for IFR Approaches in my Mooney 20J flying in Europe (Based in France)

I have today installed GNS430 but need to upgrade to WAAS.

one option is to upgrade my GNS430 but alternative could be to go for new radio sine my radio is 12 years old.

what do you thing of the King Ksn770 ?

Thanks

Philip

Honeywell/King's recent track record and removal of support for legacy equipment should be a red flag... I wouldn't invest that kind of money on a product that was years late and seemingly not selling.

If you don't want a 430W, you might consider the Avidyne IFD 440 instead, which slides into your 430 rack. I don't know if they're approved in Europe, but I would guess so.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hello
I am looking to get GNSS RNAV for IFR Approaches in my Mooney 20J flying in Europe (Based in France)
I have today installed GNS430 but need to upgrade to WAAS.
one option is to upgrade my GNS430 but alternative could be to go for new radio sine my radio is 12 years old.
Thanks
Philip

When the 770 came out, a few of us flew to an avionics shop and got a firsthand demo of the unit. The GUI was developed by Aspen to finish up their certification. As an Aspen owner, it looked very familiar to the Aspen approach. This approach works well for a PFD/MFD but was not good on a GPS navigator. I wasn’t impressed with it.

I think the recommendation to look at the IFD is a good one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

My avionics shop is one of the busiest in my area and has never sold a 770 despite being a BK dealer. I would not even consider it.

If you send your 430 back to Garmin to upgrade it to WAAS you basically get a completely refurbished unit back. I’ve seen several and the look almost as good as new. However, you will still have to change the rack and antenna. Your originals are not compatible with the WAAS conversion. 

I’m not that familiar with the IFD 440 but I wouldn’t think it would be a slide in conversion for a non WAAS 430.  To get that capability I’d bet your mind existing unit would have to be a 430W.

A student called me and asked me to work with him on his instrument rating.  His airplane came with the KSN 770.  In the interest of helping someone get his instrument rating, I started with him, and began the arduous task of reading the 497 pages of the Pilot Guide and watching the several hours of video that BK puts out.  I'm considering giving him his money back and recommending that he get another instructor who is willing to spend the umpteen hours necessary to become expert on that unit for a one off instrument rating.  I'm not willing to spend my time on something that will be useless after the rating.  If there is a more complicated way to get something done, then Bendix King/Aspen has found it in this unit.

• Like 1

King had its hay day and I believe they are holding on to a once great reputation. I would consider Garmin or Avidyne. I think Garmin is the strongest financially in the industry and will hold its value the best but Avidyne has produced an arguably equally competitive unit depending on who you talk to. 

If you send your 430 back to Garmin to upgrade it to WAAS you basically get a completely refurbished unit back. I’ve seen several and the look almost as good as new. However, you will still have to change the rack and antenna. Your originals are not compatible with the WAAS conversion. 
I’m not that familiar with the IFD 440 but I wouldn’t think it would be a slide in conversion for a non WAAS 430.  To get that capability I’d bet your mind existing unit would have to be a 430W.

Not quite... The W upgrade doesn't require any rack/connector changes, but it does require a new WAAS antenna and very likely new coax to that antenna unless the original installer used the better/newer coax. So, it isn't completely a slide-in upgrade, but changing the antenna and coax is far easier/cheaper than installing a new rack and harness, which would be needed for the 770 or a GTN installation.

The IFD truly slides in, but will also need a new antenna (and likely coax).

So the easiest upgrade is either the W-upgrade to the existing 430, or the IFD 440 if you want a newer generation box without all of the installation expense.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Philip France 13 said:

Forget about the 770.  

A mate of mine had one installed into his aircraft, which was followed by no end of problems.  Long story short, legal action was put to BK which resulted in the CEO of BK becoming involved.  After a long and protracted attempt at resolution BK made an offer to have the unit returned including full compensation of labour costs.  

He since had 2 IFD's fitted and is very happy.

"Any feedback on KSN770?"

If you were given the unit free I don't think it would be worth the labor to install. It could have been a good option if they would have made an easy wiring upgrade path for KLN89, 90 and 94 users, but as it is, it would be just as much labor to install this as another WAAS GPS - definitely not worth it.

Since the user base is so small what are the odds that they will support it with software updates?

On 8/14/2018 at 2:48 PM, Philip France 13 said:

Thanks a lot for the useful feedback I will go for 430 upgrade Philip

With the WAAS upgrade costing what it does and the crazy high 430 non waas used values I think a new ifd440 is a better “investment”. 

• Like 2

There is only one reported owner of a KSN770 around MS...
I don’t remember who that person is... but a search might find him...
Best regards,
-a-

I personally think they want to remain incognito. Wouldn’t it be funny if Peter Garmin was the guy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2018 at 5:48 PM, MIm20c said:

With the WAAS upgrade costing what it does and the crazy high 430 non waas used values I think a new ifd440 is a better “investment”. 

Not to mention that for the 430 -> 430w upgrade you have to purchase an individual EASA STC.

There is no « free of charge » EASA STC for this upgrade (contrary to GTN650 or IFD 440 upgrades)

Edited by Guillaume