Ft Lauderdale trip

Htwjr

The largest and most convenient GA airport in the area is Ft Lauderdale Executive, KFXE. I'm not sure what the tie down fees will be but obtaining a car rental won't be a problem there, assuming you need one. The largest FBO on the field is Banyan. Baynan also has a great pilot shop.

Just a few miles north of KFXE is Pompano Beach Airpark, KPMP, but I'm not sure how convenient a car rental would be.

Several miles to the west is North Perry Field, KHWO, where you can find cheap(er) gas and parking. Again, not sure about car rental.

• Like 1

Just flew out of KFXE weekend before last. Worldjet is the small business on one side. Fuel was $6-ish a gallon. Banyon is the FBO on the opposite side. Fuel was $7-ish, but the facilities were luxurious. They also have a huge Pilot shop next to the FBO, which they brag as being one of the biggest in the country. Enjoy the trip!

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

Several miles to the west is North Perry Field, KHWO, where you can find cheap(er) gas and parking. Again, not sure about car rental.

I believe there is a MS member based at KHWO. I have flown into there twice, and it is a great way to avoid all of the traffic and costs at the larger airports. And if Trump heads down to Florida, it is just outside of the TFR. I have used Uber back and forth from there when I go, and I parked at The Fuel Depot @ Bobby's Landing. 100LL is about $4.75, if I recall , but it would do you well to call and make sure they have parking available as it can get crowded at times. And since all the runways are less than 3,400', it is good to be on your approach speed when landing.

If you need to make an interim fuel stop, you might consider Williston, Fl. X60 or nearby Marion County X35. Both currently offer 100 LL self serve at $3.95 per gallon. If you need to grab a bite to eat, Piper Kub Cafe is on the field at Williston. Their burgers are good.

Thanks for the recommendations.  I had a great trip to Ft. Lauderdale with my daughter this weekend.  We flew into FXE and used Banyan.  Very nice and there were no ramp or tie down fees for two nights with fuel purchase and they gave me a $1 a gallon discount on the fuel.  Very nice pilot shop also.  I felt a little out of place with all of the private jets but we were treated like we belonged there.  +1 for Banyan.  The trip was about 3.5 hrs each way from CUB and the plane did great at about 9500 ft it was cool and smooth along the east coast a few miles offshore.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this before.. but, we go down all the time.  Our youngest Daughter is attending Nova Southeastern.  KHWO (North Perry) Hollywood aviation. Technically, there is a Tie Down Fee at Hollywood Aviation, right by the tower.  But, Helga who is always there, can have a car waiting (any rental) will give you the after hours gate code.  The self fuel tank is one of the cheapest in the state if you pay inside (the trick).  She normally waives or deeply discounts the tie down of $25 per night.  My only problem is that NO ONE on that field will do Oxy refills.  I've found a couple airboat guys at another airport (?? FXE maybe) that can do it.  But, it's expensive and they are never able to fill completely.  Bring your own adaptor if you need it.