wow one after another, whats next?

On 8/16/2018 at 10:26 AM, ilovecornfields said:

I did. I clicked on the heart next to @jaylw314‘s post. ;)

Whether people like to admit it or not, we have a mental health crisis in this country. Perhaps I’m unique among us in that I’ve seen more suicides, homocides and overdoses than I can possibly recall. The first one was a middle-aged Asian man who shot himself in the head while sitting in a chair on a second floor apartment. He tipped the chair over when he fell and I remember when I walked into the room thinking it looked “fake.” It wasn’t a pool of blood running out the door like in the movies but it looked more like a small pool of dark jelly on the carpet (in movies blood doesn’t clot, but in real life it does.) There were some small pieces of skull and brain In there as well.

This was 18 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Since then I’ve seen many more, but like they say “you never forget your first.” (I once saw someone try to put a piece of brain that fell out back in, but that’s a different strory...)

If someone here wants to make they statement that neither themselves or someone they care about has a mental health problem then I would argue that you are either delusional or you don’t care about many people. The prevalence of mental illness among adults in the United States is approximately one in five  (from nimh.nih.gov) and it seems like we have a lot more than 5 people on Mooneyspace.

As  @jaylw314 said more eloquently than I did, let’s keep an eye out for each other and take care of each other. Ignoring red flags and using hope as a stategy tends to not work well in aviation.

I literally learned nothing from your post that mostly detailed how someone committed suicide.  Not sure what the purpose was of discussing that.  If you actually talked about “red flags” in pilots/GA I might have a clue what your general “feel good” by “taking care of our buddies” might actually mean.  I look forward to reading about specific details about this guys spiral...or the classic “He was just a great guy...didn’t see this coming” that you often read.  I call the military response (heard they were NOT armed) a massive fail.  The result could of been VERY different if someone that meant harm to many had procured the commercial aircraft.  I have read this is a “one off” nothing to be alarmed about...We have it under control mantra.  THIS was a massive fail by TSA/FAA and Big G.  Meanwhile sheeple move on and joke about this...

24 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

On a completely unrelated note, how does one block a user from appearing in their feed?

On a tablet, long press their name (above the avatar), and down at the bottom of the box that opens, select "ignore user." Then when you go through a thread, there will be only a pale line with a marker that you are ignoring the poster. Wanna read it? Ckick it and it opens.

39 minutes ago, Hank said:

On a tablet, long press their name (above the avatar), and down at the bottom of the box that opens, select "ignore user." Then when you go through a thread, there will be only a pale line with a marker that you are ignoring the poster. Wanna read it? Ckick it and it opens.

It really is a beautiful feature.;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So there’s this guy that has some very obvious mental health issues and he is a pilot. I don't know him but he is a “celebrity”.  Seems he falls into a higher risk category as defined by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Organization.  As a community, what is our obligation to him? The aviation community? 

Edited by Tony Starke
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 10:05 AM, MyNameIsNobody said:

There you go.  Joking about and calling “a legend” somebody that stole a commercial aircraft and crashed it intentionally killing himself and destroying the plane.  This guy was a total F^&^stick.  He shoould be shunned.  There should not be jokes.  Especially from pilots in the pilot community.  What is “Funny” about. This scenario?  You wonder why. People that feel lost or are mentally imbalanced do acts like this or “copy cat” others?  This is why.  Because they are immortalized and called “legends” by their peers.  Because people that know better use their name and have them flying with the Blue Angels.

This shit is about as funny as a case of polio...

If only Beebo had known the disapproval of the Mooney community and especially the shunning from Mr Nobody, I bet he would have opted not to have taken a one way joy ride!

10 hours ago, 201er said:

If only Beebo had known . . . .

"Beebo"?

The nutcase trying to do aerobatics in the airliner was Richard Russell. The guy who was so mad at the wife he was separated from that he killed himself trying without success to injure her was Duane Youb.

Which one was Beebo? Sorry if you knew either one well enough to know his nickname.

"Beebo"?
The nutcase trying to do aerobatics in the airliner was Richard Russell. The guy who was so mad at the wife he was separated from that he killed himself trying without success to injure her was Duane Youb.
Which one was Beebo? Sorry if you knew either one well enough to know his nickname.

It was in some of the headlines.

http://mynorthwest.com/1078601/richard-beebo-russell-background/?

Google Beebo and look up the toy by the same name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If someone has heart disease and dies of a heart attack everyone understands. If someone has mental illness and commits suicide everyone condemns them. In both cases they had and organ in their body that failed. Brain failure happens and it’s not pretty. It’s hurtful because people don’t understand. I would much rather him have crashed that plane not killing others than have a work place shooting and if people copycat that vs shootings I’ll take it.

• Like 5

There’s actually a pretty good discussion on POA regarding the FAA’s treatment of mental illness and the strong disincentive to seeking treatment and self-reporting. 

As @kmyfm20s said, the brain is an organ and just like every other organ in the body it can fail. Unfortunately, when your brain starts failing it affects your judgement and decision making. Due to social stigma, denial and the FAA’s current approach to mental health (and a bunch of other factors) it seems that many people who would benefit from mental health treatment aren’t getting it. It seems like this event did get people talking about mental health and aviation which hopefully will be a good thing.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2018 at 9:57 PM, 201er said:

If only Beebo had known the disapproval of the Mooney community and especially the shunning from Mr Nobody, I bet he would have opted not to have taken a one way joy ride!

Seriously find you funny.  Both strange and ha ha.  Couldn’t give a shit about the perp.  Others think what he did was cool and will emulate if they can...Just as school shooters have done.  Unlike Spock I believe crazy is crazy.  Empathy is as easy as taking a dump.  Condemning actions isn’t for the idiot pilot it is for others.  Using his name is just another piece that you support...Hell lets even use his nickname.  I believe in the death penalty as a deterrent too.  So there’s that.  

Social stigma...Good one Mr. Spock.  I prefer to not hang out with people that want to kill themselves.  For some it is a career.  No thanks. No one quote me or Spock will see my words...

To the rocket scientist that said: “Glad he just took himself out instead of others too”...Thanks Captain Obvious.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:16 PM, Tony Starke said:

So there’s this guy that has some very obvious mental health issues and he is a pilot. I don't know him but he is a “celebrity”.  Seems he falls into a higher risk category as defined by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Organization.  As a community, what is our obligation to him? The aviation community? 

Put the suit on Ironman.  Go enforce justice.  I have zero idea what celebrity you are talking about so good use of code and rumor/innuendo...

7 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Put the suit on Ironman.  Go enforce justice.  I have zero idea what celebrity you are talking about so good use of code and rumor/innuendo...

I am hesitant to name the guy as he is touted as a brave hero of sorts in today’s culture. It is all very confusing to me. I'll give you a hint though...dude looks like a lady.