wow one after another, whats next?

23 hours ago, Bravoman said:

I’m still very surprised that the fighter jets did not flame that commuter plane in Washington. To me that was a lapse of judgment. They had no idea what he was going to do. Had plenty of opportunity to do it over Puget Sound.

It was also obvious from the guy's demeanor on the radio that he wasn't out to hurt anybody.  If you haven't listened to his radio conversations with ATC, that's worth a listen.

11 hours ago, Aviationinfo said:

Back to the original post:   How in the WORLD did the guy manage to hit his house in the dark, accurately?  

Well, technically he didn't manage to, he hit the street in front of the house.  If you look on the Google Maps view, his home looked like it was on the edge of a developed area adjacent to a field, so that might have been easier to pick out at night than if it were in the middle of a sea of lights.

46 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Well, technically he didn't manage to, he hit the street in front of the house. 

I don't see any damage, scars or even scuffs in the asphalt out front. The very front of the upside down car that was presumably parked in the driveway is smooshed. Maybe he missed by a few inches? Although his aim may have been slightly affected when he grazed the rooftop across the street and knocked about one square foot from the edge of their garage roof. Pretty impressive aim considering he had never tried before, and it was 0230 [pretty dark, no moon, etc.].

Looks like trouble to me...Cessna belonged to his Employer so Insurence should cover the loss of aircraft...not so the house and vehicle as he essentially torched his own house and car leaving the wife with the cost plus loss of life insurance (if he had any)

IMG_4844.PNG

10 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Looks like trouble to me...Cessna belonged to his Employer so Insurence should cover the loss of aircraft...not so the house and vehicle as he essentially torched his own house and car leaving the wife with the cost plus loss of life insurance (if he had any)

IMG_4844.PNG

Is that true?!

There was a divorce in process.  Surely that must play into it somehow that she would be held innocent regarding the concept of insurance.

At least they were uninjured but yikes.

51 minutes ago, Bravoman said:

Generally speaking, life insurance policies will cover a suicide if the death occurs beyond what is known as the contestability period, usually two years.

Two years is the typical number. It also applies if the death occurs while participating in a "risky activity" if that period has passed. My policy had been in place for quite some time before I started flying. I did double check with my insurance company prior to flying to make sure that if something happened that they would still pay and they confirmed that it was well beyond the contestability period.

On 8/14/2018 at 2:53 PM, ilovecornfields said:

I think the mental health issues facing pilots is very real. Although I’m not a psychiatrist, I did marry one and we’ve talked about it quite a bit. Based on my experience, I would say some of the risk factors for suicide (like impulsivity) are probably over-represented in the GA population. As was just pointed out by @jaylw314 some of the traditional risk factors for suicide are also over-represented in the pilot population (https://www.mdedge.com/psychiatry/article/59790/depression/revised-sad-persons-helps-assess-suicide-risk)

Maybe a useful outcome from this tragedy would be to discuss how we can help each other with mental health challenges since, statistically, many of us have them. There was recently someone here who posted that he carried a handgun on every flight so he could commit suicide if he was going to crash. The response to that was pretty disappointing. Even if it’s just a joke (which he later clarified it wasn’t) it’s not very funny.

Not to get on a soapbox, but I’ve seen lots of suicide attempts, some of them successful. I deal with suicidal people on an almost daily basis. If we don’t do a better job addressing mental health issues in the GA community, me fear is that someone else will do it for us and probably not in very desirable way.

edit: corrected link

Normally I wouldn’t speak ill of the dead...but in this case I will make an exception.  Suicide in and of itself is a very selfish act.  In this case the perp not only killed himself, but he risked the lives of other innocents in and around the airspace.  He also destroyed a plane that society has to pay for so as I was told when I had a gear up “Thanks for the impact on all our insurance rates”...

The guys actions should be condemned in the strongest possible terms.  I have ZERO interest in listening to the audio.  I have compassion for his family/friends and those that cared.  Him?  Not even a little bit based on his manner of exit.

A guy at Mesa Airlines (15 year mechanic) waxed on about how the guy is a legend....After saying I wouldn’t understand when I said “Try and explain why he is a “legend”...He said: Every mechanic that has been in the cockpit says to themselves “I could fly this thing” and this guy went out and did it...so he is a “legend”.  Face palm...

Copycats?  Here they come...

But enjoy that show and his words...aww shucks.  “Personally I wish they would have blown the guy out of the sky and shot the bigger bits as they descended”...But I would enjoy YES enjoy seeing replays of school shooters getting put down like the rabid dogs they are.

I would rather spend my tax dollars on Air Force gunnery  and teacher/Police training than mental health.

• Sad 1

@MyNameIsNobody, I believe @ilovecornfields was talking about us, as a pilot community, keeping an eye out for each other and taking care of each other.  The only way we do that is if we find the things we have in common and bring us together.  Opinions and beliefs aside, our shared love of flying and Mooney's should make that easy.

• Like 1

A primary mission of the U.S. Govenment is to protect citizens from all enemy’s foreign and domestic.  Once that guy steals a plane and talks about crashing it he is a threat and should be neutralized.  We are not talking about a drone orbiting over the city with a license to kill.  We are talking about a clear and present danger from a threat by a commercial aircraft.  FAA a federal jurisdiction has oversight.  We are told this is a “one off”?  Really?

This is another symptom.

6 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

@MyNameIsNobody, I believe @ilovecornfields was talking about us, as a pilot community, keeping an eye out for each other and taking care of each other.  The only way we do that is if we find the things we have in common and bring us together.  Opinions and beliefs aside, our shared love of flying and Mooney's should make that easy.

I agree with everything you said.  Maybe original poster can speak for himself.

I did. I clicked on the heart next to @jaylw314‘s post. ;)

Whether people like to admit it or not, we have a mental health crisis in this country. Perhaps I’m unique among us in that I’ve seen more suicides, homocides and overdoses than I can possibly recall. The first one was a middle-aged Asian man who shot himself in the head while sitting in a chair on a second floor apartment. He tipped the chair over when he fell and I remember when I walked into the room thinking it looked “fake.” It wasn’t a pool of blood running out the door like in the movies but it looked more like a small pool of dark jelly on the carpet (in movies blood doesn’t clot, but in real life it does.) There were some small pieces of skull and brain In there as well.

This was 18 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Since then I’ve seen many more, but like they say “you never forget your first.” (I once saw someone try to put a piece of brain that fell out back in, but that’s a different strory...)

If someone here wants to make they statement that neither themselves or someone they care about has a mental health problem then I would argue that you are either delusional or you don’t care about many people. The prevalence of mental illness among adults in the United States is approximately one in five  (from nimh.nih.gov) and it seems like we have a lot more than 5 people on Mooneyspace.

As  @jaylw314 said more eloquently than I did, let’s keep an eye out for each other and take care of each other. Ignoring red flags and using hope as a stategy tends to not work well in aviation.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

I did. I clicked on the heart next to @jaylw314‘s post. ;)

Whether people like to admit it or not, we have a mental health crisis in this country. Perhaps I’m unique among us in that I’ve seen more suicides, homocides and overdoses than I can possibly recall. The first one was a middle-aged Asian man who shot himself in the head while sitting in a chair on a second floor apartment. He tipped the chair over when he fell and I remember when I walked into the room thinking it looked “fake.” It wasn’t a pool of blood running out the door like in the movies but it looked more like a small pool of dark jelly on the carpet (in movies blood doesn’t clot, but in real life it does. There were some small pieces of skull and brain In there as well.

This was 18 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Since then I’ve seen many more, but like they say “you never forget your first.” (I once saw someone try to put a piece of brain that fell out back in, but that’s a different strory...)

If someone here wants to make they statement that neither themselves or someone they care about has a mental health problem then I would argue that you are either delusional or you don’t care a whole lot of people. The prevalence of mental illness among adults in the United States is approximately one in five  (from nimh.nih.gov) and it seems like we have a lot more than 5 people on Mooneyspace.

As  @jaylw314 said more eloquently than I did, let’s keep an eye out for each other and take care of each other. Ignoring red flags and using hope as a stategy tends to not work well in aviation.

Or as the old psychiatry joke goes, they say one in 5 people has some sort of mental disorder, so if you have 4 normal friends, you're it. ^_^

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Or as the old psychiatry joke goes, they say one in 5 people has some sort of mental disorder, so if you have 4 normal friends, you're it. ^_^

What if none of your friends are normal???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

56 minutes ago, Marauder said:

And what about if all your friends are imaginary?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Then imagine that one of them has a mental disorder and it will make you one of the "normal" ones. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oldguy said:

What if none of your friends are normal???

57 minutes ago, Marauder said:

And what about if all your friends are imaginary?

You both need new friends!!  and apparently I don't count . . . . . .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Normally I wouldn’t speak ill of the dead...but in this case I will make an exception.  Suicide in and of itself is a very selfish act.  In this case the perp not only killed himself, but he risked the lives of other innocents in and around the airspace.  He also destroyed a plane that society has to pay for so as I was told when I had a gear up “Thanks for the impact on all our insurance rates”...

The guys actions should be condemned in the strongest possible terms.

So what are you suggesting? Jail time, death penalty, remedial training?

• Confused 2

18 hours ago, 201er said:

So what are you suggesting? Jail time, death penalty, remedial training?

There you go.  Joking about and calling “a legend” somebody that stole a commercial aircraft and crashed it intentionally killing himself and destroying the plane.  This guy was a total F^&^stick.  He shoould be shunned.  There should not be jokes.  Especially from pilots in the pilot community.  What is “Funny” about. This scenario?  You wonder why. People that feel lost or are mentally imbalanced do acts like this or “copy cat” others?  This is why.  Because they are immortalized and called “legends” by their peers.  Because people that know better use their name and have them flying with the Blue Angels.

This shit is about as funny as a case of polio...