FlyingBliss

49 minutes ago, NJMac said:

I convinced my wife it would save us money on my IR if we owned the Mooney vs rented the arrow. She was on board. If you can swing it now, why wait? Train in what you'll be flying. I think it will make you safer in it.

FWIW, dont let the rumors of Mooneys scare you off. The Mooney tradition instructor I used made it sound so simple. Said it stalls and lands like a 172. IMO it does. First stall we did, I recovered and didnt even loose 50 ft. Landings are cake if you control your airspeed.

Jump in, the waters great!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

@NJMac That little push was basically all I needed. I really really want to get a Mooney and use it for my IR.  That earlier post was from pragmatic Ryan (plan everything out in a conservative fashion...), but, the reality is I really want to start flying a Mooney tomorrow, today really.  My new question is which Mooney and “how” to purchase a used Mooney?  I think the Ovation makes the most sense for my wife and I (no kids).  We want to fly fast (as fast as possible) for both short trips (Nashua to Nantucket) but also for longer trips (Nashua to Bahamas, Texas, S. Carolina, etc.).  I know this is getting a little ambitious, but, down the road, I’d really like to take her over to the UK following the same route that Guido takes on his Youtube ferry videos. So, my questions are the following; (1) from everything that I’ve read about the Continental IO-550, it seems to be a very solid & reliable engine. Everyone talks about Lycoming being bullet-proof, which I don’t doubt in any way, shape or form. I’m well aware of the Lycoming vs. Continental arguments, which I don’t want to revisit.  I just want to know if the Mooney consensus is that the IO-550 is bullet-proof as well? (2) obviously “who” you buy from is very important. It seems like Premier Aircraft Sales in FL has a good reputation when it comes to selling Mooney’s.  What do you think of Premier, and, who would you recommend as a solid company or website to consider purchasing from (I’m on Controller and Trade-a-plane every day)? (3) who would you recommend for a PPI on the east coast?  Any and all additional input is welcome for someone just getting started on their path to Mooney-town. Thanks! 

• Like 1

The PPP is awesome...

The presenters are experts in their fields on top of their expertise in Mooneys...

Take in as much as you can...

There are a few reasons to speed through to get to the next level...

Then There are some real reasons to get a bunch of experience in before proceeding to the next level...

I went to a PPP with the goal of relearning to fly, in a Mooney....  the PPP was completely flexible for my individual requirements...  :)

Meeting a bunch of Mooney pilots inbetween all of the scheduled events adds to the value...  Many will be MSers...

Best regards,

-a-

FIND YESTERDAY’S THREAD... PPIs in TX... I gave my experience of buying an O... who I used... Many gave their alternatives... all great.

try this thread...  

Speaking of riding in Mooneys...

visit with Jimmy and Dave... @AAA 

https://www.allamericanaircraft.com/default.htm

Use caution... it is really easy to fall for some planes that are for sale.... 

You can get a nifty FIKI Acclaim for just a few AMU more.... :)

Jimmy and Dave have many Mooneys at their location.  Really helpful when you are trying to determine what is best for you and your mission...

As far as what engine to go with...

if your daily driver has an LT1, LS2, or LS7... the IO550 may be worth considering...

If you are a low time driver/ pilot, short on experience... don’t be in a rush to drive around in a Mustang 5.0...

Being in the mountainous area... a TC’d engine is also worth considering...  but learning to fly in a Rocket is not highly recommended...

My fun shopping list... not a recommendation for anyone to follow... 

Keep getting experience at every opportunity...

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, FlyingBliss said:

Great news.  I’ve been able to secure a spot in the upcoming Mooney PPP in Manchester NH at a discounted rate (since I don’t own a Mooney.... yet!).  Thank you Ralph if you’re reading this.  In the meantime, I’ve become addicted to MS.  There’s so many interesting, fun, helpful, practical and good-spirited exchanges of information on this forum - I love it. So, here’s my plan, please feel free to comment.  I’m in the process of wrapping up my PP training in a PA-28-161 at East Coast Aero Club at Nashua Airport (KASH).   My plan is to then get my complex and IR in their PA-28R-201 and then start shopping for my Mooney.  The reason that I want to get my IR in the Arrow before shopping for my Mooney is that I want to know as much as possible about plane parts, instrument flying and the purchasing process (awareness of what to look for, etc.) before I buy my Mooney.  My plan is to have my Mooney sometime in the spring of 2019.  

My $0.02 would be to go ahead and get the Mooney when you feel comfortable doing so as a VFR pilot.  I think there's a pretty strong benefit to doing your IR training in your own plane--you're motivated to learn every system in and out.  Learning about aircraft buying and ownership just requires some research and a friend/mentor who is knowledgeable

Edit: Oops, saw your later post.  I'd +1 @carusoam on All-American.  For you buying a Mooney, the distance is not nearly as much an issue--a couple trips and the ferry flight might only cost a few percent of the plane you'd be buying.  Also, realize that the only Lycoming-powered Mooney's are the non-turbo ones, so it's unlikely those would fit your mission.

On 8/20/2018 at 1:55 AM, jaylw314 said:

Also, realize that the only Lycoming-powered Mooney's are the non-turbo ones, so it's unlikely those would fit your mission.

Except for this one...M20M Bravo turbocharged and intercooled 270-horspower Textron Lycoming TIO-540-AF1A 

They say buy your last plane first, right? I dont know if I'd want to jump right in to a long body. Guess if you fly one and like it, go for it. Regardless find a mooney specific transition trainer and you will be happy.

3 hours ago, NJMac said:

They say buy your last plane first, right? I dont know if I'd want to jump right in to a long body. Guess if you fly one and like it, go for it. Regardless find a mooney specific transition trainer and you will be happy.

When they wrote that statement....

You had to be 50+ to afford your first plane.

@65 you were expected to retire into hiding.

planes under 10years old were unaffordable and planes older than 10years old were expected to be rust buckets...

Mooney pilots don’t seem to fit this mold...

youngest MSers are in their 20s... oldest, in their 80s...

Some use a Mooney to fly their family around, others buy their retirement Mooney to fly their significant other around....

Oldest active Mooneys around here are M20As. Newest, fresh from the Mooney factory...

Now... If you are only going to buy a forever plane first... which will it be?  :)

Go Long Body and plan for the finances to hold out through eternity...

Go M20E and fly LOP... Best economics... over the long haul...

Go M20C... Best acquisition costs....

Go M20J... a compromise? Does everything well...

Some personal choice may be required,

-a-

@carusoam in theory (without having flown one yet) I love the M20R’s.  In reality, I can’t wait to sit & ride in a few at the upcoming PPP to see which one(s) I like the most. 

@jaylw314 after some additional thought & discussion, I agree that doing my IR in my own Mooney is the way to go.  I’ll finish up my PP in the Cherokee and then start shopping for a Mooney this fall while building some complex time in my club’s Arrow.  Once acquired I’ll start my IR training in my own Mooney :) 

@Mooneymite yes, I’ve found the members on MS to be pretty amazing. I’ve got 3 upcoming calls set up with MS’ers who own Ovations to pick their brains about their experience & recommendations. Really cool.

@Hank thanks for the invite to Panama City Beach.  I’ll definitely take you up on that at some point in the future.  Looks like I’m going to fall into the same category as most Mooniacs: PPL —> Mooney :) 

@Danb look forward to meeting you in Manch.

@DonMuncy yes, I can’t seem to get away from this site!

@Seymour I’ll definitely join the Pilots Assoc, thanks.  Let me know next time you’re flying to KASH and we can grab a coffee at the MidField Cafe (on me).

@TonyK once I get my wheels we'll be flying to VT a bunch.  Look forward to meeting you.

@Dan at FUL I was able to get a discounted  rate of $200 for the PPP (sans practical)

@MrRodgers man, gorgeous plane!  I hope to post a similar picture in the not-too-distant future. Maybe this winter or next spring.

Thanks for all of the feedback and advice everyone, much appreciated!  Can’t wait to officially join the Mooniac Club! 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 4:01 PM, carusoam said:

Go M20E and fly LOP... Best economics... over the long haul...

Go M20C... Best acquisition costs....

Go M20J... a compromise? Does everything well.

No love for the F?

Harrumph!

Go M20F... for Best value between "Yes it's still a Mooney"  and back seat passengers who actually have legs! 

or

Go M20F... You don't get J or K speed without a momentary pause here.

or

Go M20F...Is the extra $60,000 really worth buying a J?  (Okay, maybe it is)

or

Go M20F...I've spent $30,000 in speed mods and should be going mach .7 but I still plan for 145kts.

or

Go M20F...I don't have a turbo or the speed of an E or the prestige of an Ovation or Acclaim but damn it I still own a Mooney and I love it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TonyK said:

No love for the F?

Harrumph!

Go M20F... for Best value between "Yes it's still a Mooney"  and back seat passengers who actually have legs! 

or

Go M20F... You don't get J or K speed without a momentary pause here.

or

Go M20F...Is the extra $60,000 really worth buying a J?  (Okay, maybe it is)

or

Go M20F...I've spent $30,000 in speed mods and should be going mach .7 but I still plan for 145kts.

or

Go M20F...I don't have a turbo or the speed of an E or the prestige of an Ovation or Acclaim but damn it I still own a Mooney and I love it!

Avid Mooney pilots like to buy and hold... personalize to taste... upgrade over time...

Go M20F!

There are some really nice Fs around MS.  :) (Bennett and Chris’ F immediately come to mind... as do others...)

Probably a whole bunch on the way, transitioning from being a family hauler to reaching forever-plane status...

When the kids have left the house... new cowls, wing tips, and fancy instruments allow the F to become a world-class family visitor...  perfect for visiting grand kids around the country...

When it comes to Mooney models... there are no bad ones...

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1