FlyingBliss

Hi everyone,

I’m a student pilot with 48 hours in a C-172 and PA-28-161 dual received so far toward my PP certificate. I’ve been researching the best ship for my wife & I when it comes time to buy, and, I feel like I’ve become a Mooniac just from all of the research that I’ve done so far about Mooney aircraft and their performance (SPEED!), fuel efficiency, and little airliner reputation.  I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to the group and that I’m very excited to begin my mission toward a Mooney!  I’ll be stopping by the Mooney PPP at Signature FBO at MHT in Sept to get a first hand look at some of the Mooney ships.  Can’t wait!  Hope to meet some of you there.  

Ryan

Edited by FlyingBliss
Mispelling
  • Like 1

@FlyingBliss I'm not sure where you are, but if you can swing by KECP, Panama City Beach, the last Friday in September, there will be dozens of Mooneys there. Seems like it was about 60 aircraft each of the last two years.

Many of us bought our Mooneys near our checkrides; my own purchase was 36 days later.

Whether you make either get together, stop by here whenever you want. Someone is usually around, I don't think @carusoam sleeps anymore. 

• Like 1

My first was a 1978 C Model based on my dad's recommendation and finding it. Best money I ever spent flying. Owned 3 other Mooneys since then with a T210 and BE36 in the middle. Still come back to a Mooney. Best value for young flyers and families.

2 hours ago, Hank said:

@FlyingBliss I'm not sure where you are, but if you can swing by KECP, Panama City Beach, the last Friday in September, there will be dozens of Mooneys there. Seems like it was about 60 aircraft each of the last two years.

Many of us bought our Mooneys near our checkrides; my own purchase was 36 days later.

Whether you make either get together, stop by here whenever you want. Someone is usually around, I don't think @carusoam sleeps anymore. 

I'm one of those. I knew I wanted a Mooney before I started flying and jumped on the forums here, I've been hanging around since then.

I bought mine I guess about a month and a half after my checkride and have loved every minute of flying it. For our family it is the perfect plane.

• Like 2

Welcome Ryan!   I'm the rookie Mooney driver from KFIT that you may have noticed in the KASH pattern this summer.    I look forward to meeting you at the PPP and maybe you can join our Pilots Association for one of our flyouts (eg. dinner in KEEN last Friday).  

4 hours ago, FlyingBliss said:

I’ll be stopping by the Mooney PPP at Signature FBO at MHT in Sept to get a first hand look at some of the Mooney ships.  Can’t wait!  Hope to meet some of you there.  

Ryan

You will be a better Mooney buyer in the future from what you learn in the Mooney PPP course.  Inquire about attending the course at a reduced rate since you will not be able to participate in the practical portions of the PPP without a Mooney.   

-dan

5 hours ago, Hank said:

Purchased my Mooney prior to my check ride. Had the annual and pre-buy repairs completed and the plane delivered from Longview Texas.  Loved knowing that once I finished with my PPL I had a wonderful airplane waiting for me in the hangar.  Take your time in the transition phase and get a Mooney specific instructor.  You will not regret it in the least.  Delivery Day Photo Below. 

mooney delivery.jpeg

• Like 5

Welcome! You'll enjoy this site.  I  bought my 1968 C in January and joined the site a few months ago. You'll get great information here and hear lots of cool Mooney talk. I don't think that you can beat a Mooney for entry cost for a high-performance single, as well as efficiency and a passionate owner group. Albeit, they are a little cramped...

On 8/13/2018 at 1:43 PM, FlyingBliss said:

Hi everyone,

I’m a student pilot with 48 hours in a C-172 and PA-28-161 dual received so far toward my PP certificate. I’ve been researching the best ship for my wife & I when it comes time to buy, and, I feel like I’ve become a Mooniac just from all of the research that I’ve done so far about Mooney aircraft and their performance (SPEED!), fuel efficiency, and little airliner reputation.  I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to the group and that I’m very excited to begin my mission toward a Mooney!  I’ll be stopping by the Mooney PPP at Signature FBO at MHT in Sept to get a first hand look at some of the Mooney ships.  Can’t wait!  Hope to meet some of you there.  

Ryan

I got my first Mooney ('64 M20E) just after getting my private certificate.  M20C/E is seriously good value for money for a first airplane.  You can spend significantly more $$$ to go a lot slower...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Sleep, eat, train, Type on MS, repeat...

I'm sure Anthony eats with MS open on his tablet / laptop. Probably sleeps that way, too; I've seen recent posts from 0300 - 0400 . . .

It's an addiction, almost as strong as flying. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Starting in Europe and ending in California... MS is a 24/7 kind of place...

Many of us are online before work... and a few Do midnight in California...

Best regards,

-a-

Don't forget, we have a few in Oz, too! Not sure whuchnend of the day they're on, though . . . .

• Like 1

And... somedays we have a few people in Australia... and a couple of mobile MSers Check in From Asia....

and GSXr who comes from one, lives in the middle, and works in the Far East... depending on the day...  :)

Do we have any MSers living in China yet?

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great news.  I’ve been able to secure a spot in the upcoming Mooney PPP in Manchester NH at a discounted rate (since I don’t own a Mooney.... yet!).  Thank you Ralph if you’re reading this.  In the meantime, I’ve become addicted to MS.  There’s so many interesting, fun, helpful, practical and good-spirited exchanges of information on this forum - I love it. So, here’s my plan, please feel free to comment.  I’m in the process of wrapping up my PP training in a PA-28-161 at East Coast Aero Club at Nashua Airport (KASH).   My plan is to then get my complex and IR in their PA-28R-201 and then start shopping for my Mooney.  The reason that I want to get my IR in the Arrow before shopping for my Mooney is that I want to know as much as possible about plane parts, instrument flying and the purchasing process (awareness of what to look for, etc.) before I buy my Mooney.  My plan is to have my Mooney sometime in the spring of 2019.  

• Like 1

Great news.  I’ve been able to secure a spot in the upcoming Mooney PPP in Manchester NH at a discounted rate (since I don’t own a Mooney.... yet!).  Thank you Ralph if you’re reading this.  In the meantime, I’ve become addicted to MS.  There’s so many interesting, fun, helpful, practical and good-spirited exchanges of information on this forum - I love it. So, here’s my plan, please feel free to comment.  I’m in the process of wrapping up my PP training in a PA-28-161 at East Coast Aero Club at Nashua Airport (KASH).   My plan is to then get my complex and IR in their PA-28R-201 and then start shopping for my Mooney.  The reason that I want to get my IR in the Arrow before shopping for my Mooney is that I want to know as much as possible about plane parts, instrument flying and the purchasing process (awareness of what to look for, etc.) before I buy my Mooney.  My plan is to have my Mooney sometime in the spring of 2019.  
I convinced my wife it would save us money on my IR if we owned the Mooney vs rented the arrow. She was on board. If you can swing it now, why wait? Train in what you'll be flying. I think it will make you safer in it.

FWIW, dont let the rumors of Mooneys scare you off. The Mooney tradition instructor I used made it sound so simple. Said it stalls and lands like a 172. IMO it does. First stall we did, I recovered and didnt even loose 50 ft. Landings are cake if you control your airspeed.

Jump in, the waters great!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1