Paint the panel?

Ok, I have started the interior rehab on our new-to-me plane! Seats & carpet out, getting scrubbed up. Taking out the plastics to repair some cracks and re-paint. Is it possible to remove the panel pieces and repaint them as well, or is this something I should refer to an avionics shop to do??? Some of the instruments, like the DG and HSI appear to have screws on the outside and be surface mounted whereas the others appear to be back-mounted under the panel with screws. What about the post lights? Searched on the forum and online, and haven’t found what I’m needing. Also wondering if the hanger elf can clean the glass on the airspeed indicator and the altimeter. Thanks!

1586E377-3713-4722-AB2F-ED45BED655EA.jpeg

You can clean the altimeter glass by:

1. Remove altimeter from the panel

2. Remove black front sealing tape.

3. Remove front bezel 4 small screws

4. Carefully separate bezel inserting a small screwdriver.

5. The glass is sandwiched between the bezel o ring and the alt body.

6. Clean the glass with a glasses cleaner pad.

Same procedure for other instruments.

José

Edited by Piloto

The panel is covered in a “leatherette”. I just clean mine with Perrone leather cleaner and it’s good for a year or so.  If you have a filler somewhere that is just painted black I have found that Black Wrinkle Paint from Eastwood does a nice job.

Legally, You can remove anything that is panel mounted but you must have the appropriate personnel reinstall it. Personally, I’d live with the gauges until the next extended visit to the shop. Some instruments the glass can be removed and cleaned. Anything attached to the pitot/static system has to be resealed. You may want to discuss your plans with your AP or Avionics Shop before you get in too deep. 

When you repaint the plastic interior panels make sure you clean, clean, clean before thinking of spraying color.  Over the years silicone and waxes get on the plastic and will cause fisheyes.  SEM plastic cleaners and paints are excellent.  Available online and in most auto body paint/supply shops.

Good luck!  I totally refurbished my interior in different projects over several years. I’m glad I did. Everyone who rides with me comments how nice it came out. With patience and perseverance yours will come out great too. 

Edited by CaptRJM
Spelling

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I think that instrument dis assembly may be stretching “owner mainteneance” rules just a bit.

Clarence

Instrument work should not be done by the uncertified.  It is best left to undocumented hangar elves in the middle of the night.  :P

CO monitors are more useful than CO2 monitors...

A subtle, but important difference.

Best to work closely with a mechanic on these issues.  There can be a lot surprises in your first year of ownership. Better to have some professional eyes looking over your stuff if you fly IFR.

Even taking the glass out of the instruments can cause a leak into the static system...

Best regards,

-a-