2 Nav units?

Niko182

So within the next 5 months, Right side panel will be pulled out and exchanged with 
a gtn750, GMA35C, GTX345R and possibly a GNC255. The only issue is that I can't decide
to keep my number 2 nav/com and use it with the basic CDI, or upgrade the #2 Nav/com.
if I decide to upgrade it, I need to spend an extra 2.5 amu on a CDI with a glideslope since
my number 2 nav/com only uses a CDI without glideslope. This gives me options as of what
to do with my number 2 nav/com

Option 1: Keep the KX-155 and The CDI in the aircraft as a number 2 nav.

Option 2: get a GNC255 Nav/com and buy the Glideslope unit, which will have
a cleaner look, but also cost around 8 to 9 AMU more

Option 3: Get a GTR225 Com and get rid of the #2 Nav. I rarely use the #2
nav anyway and once I have a working GPS, I doubt I'll use the number 2 nav
again.

So within the next 5 months, Right side panel will be pulled out and exchanged with 
a gtn750, GMA35C, GTX345R and possibly a GNC255. The only issue is that I can't decide
to keep my number 2 nav/com and use it with the basic CDI, or upgrade the #2 Nav/com.
if I decide to upgrade it, I need to spend an extra 2.5 amu on a CDI with a glideslope since
my number 2 nav/com only uses a CDI without glideslope. This gives me options as of what
to do with my number 2 nav/com

Option 1: Keep the KX-155 and The CDI in the aircraft as a number 2 nav.

Option 2: get a GNC255 Nav/com and buy the Glideslope unit, which will have
a cleaner look, but also cost around 8 to 9 AMU more

Option 3: Get a GTR225 Com and get rid of the #2 Nav. I rarely use the #2
nav anyway and once I have a working GPS, I doubt I'll use the number 2 nav
again.

Considering the difficulty getting support for the KX-155s in the future, I wouldn’t spend any more on it. I’m surprised to hear that your KX-155 if capable of an ILS, why it doesn’t have a compatible CDI already.

I went with the GNC 255 primarily because I wanted to have some kind of backup in case the GPS went down. The GPS units are reliable, but if you are in the system on a regular basis, the second Nav does give some piece of mind.

Interestingly the decision of buying a CDI was what got me into an Aspen. I did not want to spend the money for an expensive CDI to support the new GTN. The Aspen PFD was able to take all of my NAV inputs. Then of course, being the redundant guy I am, I opted for a second Aspen to back up the first one! When does the madness stop?! Simple - when you run out of money.

ea16c330116277fc42728bb17ee7159c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I went too big and got “while we are at it,” syndrome.  I debated on the Garmin 255 Nav Com but went 650 and bought the G5 HSI to go w the 750 and switched the 650 to the CDI w glideslope. It’s probably overkill but “while you are at it.”  At first I had some buyers remorse but now I really love having the two Modern GPSs that communicate with each other.  Everything is very simplified and redundant with this setup but dang it ain’t cheap. Good luck with the decision making process. 

3E0E4E85-5C5D-4B6E-9D4B-983A201FCB5E.jpeg

curious why the GTX345 and not the -R remote version. cleans the panel up even more. Also, why put it in the middle of the right side. very top or bottom leaves room for shiny new displays not invented yet

Edited by jetdriven

I was in a similar situation when I upgraded 2 years ago. My Nav/Com 2, a KX 165, was working perfectly as is my KI 206.  I didn’t have the $$$ to go 750/650 and buying a GNC 255 improved the look but not functionality. I elected to just leave #2 alone only spending money on new lenses and cleaning up the face.  It looks pretty darn good now.

Depending on state of mind and finances when the 165 fails I’d probably go to the GNC 255. The weak point on the 155/165 is the display.  If it fails you can get a LED replacement for about $1800.  There are so many 155/165s out there parts, although used or refurbished, they will be around for a while. 

I also use Com 2 on every flight.  I use Nav 2 every time I shoot a ILS simply as a backup in case something goes south at the worst time.  

If you choose to keep the 155, you’ll need to find a KI 209 or 209A to utilize the Glideslope capability.  The KI 206 is only compatible with the KX 165.  

Edited by CaptRJM
Spelling

14 hours ago, jetdriven said:

curious why the GTX345 and not the -R remote version. cleans the panel up even more. Also, why put it in the middle of the right side. very top or bottom leaves room for shiny new displays not invented yet

Good question. I was 50/50 on this decision.  I went with non remote for access to the copilot, and ease of removal if mx was ever required on it.  It would be nice to have an iPad or 696 mounted over there as well.  We left enough wiring behind it to move it up or down if need be in the future.  

14 hours ago, jetdriven said:

In my post it says 345r. Might of just missed it.

I have a KX-155 as my backup radio to the 430 and it works out great. Onl it use it for ATIS and ground but it's good backup. Also has a glidescope receiver so I always use it as a backup to the 430 when shooting an ILS.

Looks like the display is going, that’s probably what will force you to upgrade.

4 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Looks like the display is going, that’s probably what will force you to upgrade.

If Mooney-Mark decides he likes his KX155, he has the option of upgrading you existing radio with a new LED display and front facepiece. 

Digital LED display drivers multiplex the segments. That means they are switched on and off faster than the eye can see. But a digital camera does see this. So the display in this picture probably looks fine in person while the picture looks like it is failing.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, larryb said:

Digital LED display drivers multiplex the segments. That means they are switched on and off faster than the eye can see. But a digital camera does see this. So the display in this picture probably looks fine in person while the picture looks like it is failing.

Larry, that very well be the case.  However the KX-155 was manufactured with a gas discharge display.  The LED display is a recent retrofit that Mark-Mooney is unlikely to have unless he's had a recent upgrade to his KX-155.