3100 Autopilot - S-TEC Autopilot - Program Details

Garmin will still not provide the paper work for a special "one of" STC for a J Model with an M Model tail cone.  I will go with an STEC AP.

The issue with being airworthy happened because the shop did not complete their paper work for the installation of the M tail cone on the J aircraft.  That paper work is what they are now seeking from the engineers at Mooney.  If they can't get it, then we have an even bigger problem.  They had this aircraft in their rental fleet for 8 years and it was being signed off by that same shop without the correct paperwork.  They are lucky they didn't have an accident.  If this had been discovered under those circumstances, I suspect they would have had a significant legal problem.

My Mooney has been in the shop since August 12.  I hope I can remember how to fly it again.

• Sad 1

On 9/19/2019 at 3:09 PM, 201Mooniac said:

I'm very sorry about your experience but I must say that it differs dramatically from mine.  While I understand how disappointing this is, when my J model went in for the GFC-500 install, the shop found that there was a serial number range that had a wing difference and Garmin modified the roll servo bracket and got it certified for me in 2 weeks.  I have had excellent service from them.  I am sorry to hear you didn''t.

When I had an issue with one of the first GFC 500 installs on my M model, Garmin went out of their way to assist me in solving the problem, including allowing me to visit them on the way to Oshkosh last year.  They found the problem in less than 5 minutes after opening up the avionics bay in the back of the plane.  While almost everyone on their team had left for Oshkosh, an approval letter was generated for a required change to the installation that allowed the airplane to be returned to service.  I was on pins and needles for most of a day, but the letter was received by the shop at 4:30 in the afternoon of the last day we were to remain in Olathe.  Also, after a year and a half, the display on the TXi decided to go bonkers.  I had a replacement in 2 days.  So I have found Garmin service to be impeccable.

Your situation is rather unique.  Who ever heard of a tail from a different model Mooney being used as a replacement for the original?  After talking with the flight test pilot who helped certify my model Mooney, I found that the testing for approval of an autopilot for a specific model aircraft is significant: weight variations from light to gross, CG variations from forward to rearward, altitude variations from low to max altitude, speed variations from slow to fast, etc.  The expectation that Garmin would risk approval on a "one off" in the situation of a different tail assembly, I think is unrealistic.  The problem lies with shop that had the temerity of replacing one model's tail with another model's tail.   And why didn't the prebuy find that issue?  This whole situation I find incredible.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, donkaye said:

When I had an issue with one of the first GFC 500 installs on my M model, Garmin went out of their way to assist me in solving the problem, including allowing me to visit them on the way to Oshkosh last year.  Also, after a year and a half, the display on the TXi decided to go bonkers.  I had a replacement in 2 days.  So I have found Garmin service to be impeccable.

Don, what happened to your display? Did they need to Replace a module or the display itself?

On 10/20/2019 at 1:27 PM, JohnB said:

Don, what happened to your display? Did they need to Replace a module or the display itself?

John, the whole display was replaced.  Out with one and in with the other.  Thank goodness for the configuration module!  We didn't 't have to go through the whole setup process again.

• Like 1