Mooney down @ Baker City, OR

ArtVandelay

While we are still actively trying to contact the family of David King and Lou Coleman from the accident last week in Washington, If anyone has any information on how to contact the families of these 2 unfortunate pilots, please PM me or alice.elliott AT mooneysummit.com

This is #7 and #8 since the last Summit...so so sad...

• Sad 1

While we are still actively trying to contact the family of David King and Lou Coleman from the accident last week in Washington, If anyone has any information on how to contact the families of these 2 unfortunate pilots, please PM me or alice.elliott AT mooneysummit.com

Mike, if you are on BT, the OP knows them well, if not I can forward your request to him.
Tom

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, mike_elliott said:

Terrible......and scary.  Is this an unusual number for one year??  I sure hope it is.

We all hope we will learn and do better but it's hard to be prepared for everything.

Good things come out of these discussions, Marcus.

It helps us to be prepared for most things.

unfortunately, sometimes we don’t get the details of what happened.

Often these are lessons a newer pilot may not have heard or thought about yet...

Too often, it is an experienced pilot that would have known better...

in the meantime... we honor the the lost aviators...

expect that their family may stop by to leave a few words... share a few thoughts... or read a few thoughts quietly...

Especially if the aviators are MSers...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I've reached out via FaceBook once again in regard to the Kings/Colemans (this time to some of the San Juan Pilots Association members) and left Mikes/Alices emails from MooneySummit. All I've seen is that the Colemans started a gofundme to help cover expenses  

• Like 1

I have been contacted by one of Lou's students who asked if we could help him finish his Privates' pilot license, and have reached out to the school where Lou apparently taught out of and am waiting to hear back. I have not had any luck finding out about David King's family, the owner and pilot of the E as of yet. Perhaps the west coast guys might be able to help here @mooneyflyer, can you assist with your database?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M20FanJesse said:

Very sad. :( Does anyone know what happened? 

Hard to tell until a full investigation is completed but you can deduce some info from the picture. First is the nose impact: the damage to the nose and fuselage indicate they were going more vertical than horizontal at the time of impact. Next are the wings and tail, they are still attached and no impact crater so the impact was probable at a lower speed. 

There are assumptions you can make from that, but with out all the correct information you could come up with the wrong conclusions. I do hope we get all the facts in the hopes that what is learned can save some one else. any loss of life is tragic.

My thought and prayers go out to both families enduring this loss.

Brian

20 minutes ago, orionflt said:

Hard to tell until a full investigation is completed but you can deduce some info from the picture. First is the nose impact: the damage to the nose and fuselage indicate they were going more vertical than horizontal at the time of impact. Next are the wings and tail, they are still attached and no impact crater so the impact was probable at a lower speed. 

There are assumptions you can make from that, but with out all the correct information you could come up with the wrong conclusions. I do hope we get all the facts in the hopes that what is learned can save some one else. any loss of life is tragic.

My thought and prayers go out to both families enduring this loss.

Brian

One of the hardest things for the family can be the lack of information.  We lost someone in a crash last June (2017) and we are still waiting for the final report.

Edited by mooniac15u
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

One of the hardest things for the family can be the lack of information.  We lost someone in a crash last June (2017) and we are still waiting for the final report.

I understand that completely, the sky typer that crashed in after taking off from republic in NY was a friend, he was based out of KUKT and we served together in the Navy.  

Brian