Sentry or Stratus ADS-B In

bill98

6 hours ago, neilpilot said:

or simply buy a commercially assembled Stratux.

On 8/12/2018 at 7:21 AM, RobertGary1 said:

Merlin is just someone else assembling a stratux unit for you; which if you’re not handy is a great deal. 

15 hours ago, EricJ said:

+1 on the Stratux, especially for somebody with an IT pro in the household.

I don't really understand these comments.  My kids started building and "programming" Raspberry Pi's in the second grade at school.  They really are THAT simple.  You don't need an "IT pro" in the house, you don't need to be "handy" and you certainly don't need to pay someone else $50 - $100 to do it for you.  The extent of this "build project" is plugging in a few USB's and connectors.  Then download the program to the SD card and put it in the slot. 

The only word of caution that is warranted... use only the parts specified.  The Raspberry Pi is very sensitive to power input.  I tried to use a power cord that we had laying around the house and it caused all kinds of weird stuff to happen.  When I switched the power cord back, everything worked fine again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skydvrboy said:

I don't really understand these comments.  My kids started building and "programming" Raspberry Pi's in the second grade at school.  They really are THAT simple.  You don't need an "IT pro" in the house, you don't need to be "handy" and you certainly don't need to pay someone else $50 - $100 to do it for you.  The extent of this "build project" is plugging in a few USB's and connectors.  Then download the program to the SD card and put it in the slot. 

I think when @EricJ said "IT pro's", he was referring to children ;)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Apologies for the rehash!!
My stratus stopped working today on my way back home.  I Really didn’t enjoy flying without it. Now looking at something new. 
I am curious to anything/new technology  current for ads-b in. 
The price of the Sentry is much better,but I am wondering if anyone has used both?

I use ForeFlight , and both Stratus and Sentry, advertise similar for ads-b in which is what I am most interested in,as I don’t fly in questionable weather. 
Any insight is appreciated.  
And doesn’t necessarily need to be Stratus or Sentry. 
Thanks in advance. 
Thomas

31 minutes ago, icurnmedic said:

Apologies for the rehash!!
My stratus stopped working today on my way back home.  I Really didn’t enjoy flying without it. Now looking at something new. 
I am curious to anything/new technology  current for ads-b in. 
The price of the Sentry is much better,but I am wondering if anyone has used both?

I use ForeFlight , and both Stratus and Sentry, advertise similar for ads-b in which is what I am most interested in,as I don’t fly in questionable weather. 
Any insight is appreciated.  
And doesn’t necessarily need to be Stratus or Sentry. 
Thanks in advance. 
Thomas

Spot is another option, but no ahrs and i think you have to leave it plugged into usb.  However it’s tiny and cheap.

I kind of like Sentry.

I have a Sentry, Stratux, and stratus, and now a ADSB in solution within the plane itself. 

If i had to get a portal one, i would probably get the Sentry mini unless i really didnt have a way to power it, in which case i would get the sentry. I find they work the best with foreflight. 

I have a dual xgps190 and I have been impressed. Originally I built a stratux, used it for a few years and was satisfied until I started having trouble with it staying connected during flight. The xgps uses Bluetooth instead of WiFi. I haven’t had any trouble with it, and it definitely shows more traffic than the stratux.