QUESTION: Modern Yoke (Control Wheel) on C, E or F

11 hours ago, Jpflysdfw said:

@MyNameIsNobody which year 201 shafts do you have and did you change the bellcranks?

No clue.  A&P did swap over a decade ago...No issues.  I have Brittain electric PC disconnect on pilot (left) yoke (as purchased) and map lights.

I'm not doubting Scott at all, obviously he's flying with the yokes and shafts. But just to give my experience with my M20C. I bought a set of used yokes and the shafts with them that were marked for an M20J. I had two shops, and one avionics shop tell me they wouldn't work. One of the shops I asked was Don Maxwell. He went to his parts room and pulled out a set of shafts for an M20C and we compared them to the 201 shafts I had. The fittings at the forward end of the shaft where it connects to all the linkages, were completely different. He told me I'd have to order shafts from Mooney that were the thicker material and would fit the 201 yokes but had the M20C linkage connections. At between $600 and $700 per shaft, I held off for a year or so before going ahead and ordering the new shafts from Mooney. Once I had the new shafts, the installation was quick and easy, under an hour.

I will say that 201 yokes covered in leather by Aero Comfort in San Antonio are really nice and worth every penny if you got them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

No clue.  A&P did swap over a decade ago...No issues.  I have Brittain electric PC disconnect on pilot (left) yoke (as purchased) and map lights.

I will take a photo of the block/attach point when I “go in” to try and locate the missing key that disappeared in the panel.  Sorry I am not of more help on vintage of donor yokes...It can be done in vintage models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm not doubting Scott at all, obviously he's flying with the yokes and shafts. But just to give my experience with my M20C. I bought a set of used yokes and the shafts with them that were marked for an M20J. I had two shops, and one avionics shop tell me they wouldn't work. One of the shops I asked was Don Maxwell. He went to his parts room and pulled out a set of shafts for an M20C and we compared them to the 201 shafts I had. The fittings at the forward end of the shaft where it connects to all the linkages, were completely different. He told me I'd have to order shafts from Mooney that were the thicker material and would fit the 201 yokes but had the M20C linkage connections. At between $600 and $700 per shaft, I held off for a year or so before going ahead and ordering the new shafts from Mooney. Once I had the new shafts, the installation was quick and easy, under an hour.

I will say that 201 yokes covered in leather by Aero Comfort in San Antonio are really nice and worth every penny if you got them.

Paul,

Would you happen to have part numbers of those shafts? Anyone?

My understanding is those are early J shafts with Yokes but I could be wrong. Maybe investigating different parts catalogues would help? I would be interested fitting those on my '67F as those could have PC vacuum disconnect, PPT switch, map light and so on; of course those look much better then the old ones as well.

Few months ago I had a chance of buying a nice leather set of yokes with no shafts ($800 BIN) but not being sure about the right shafts made me procrastinate and those were gone.

So the new yokes were installed yesterday on the old shafts. Reasons that the new shafts do not work on my airframe have already been explained by Paul.  Pictures to follow.  

Not out of annual yet.  Number 4 vertical exhaust pipe not back from the welder yet.  

67 M20 F. I had Don Maxwell arrange for the yoke wrapping for me on my purchase/annual.  I am totally satisfied with how they turned out.

I've since updated the panel with  a complement of Garmin products. Audio Panel, Transponder, 345 & 650, Voice Command...etc. 

Mooney Yokes.jpg

• Like 2

I just got this email from Cygnet asking about the yokes for Mooney's.

Cygnet offers a wheel conversion kit using Beech wheels and have done many of these over the past 20 years.  $1495 including machining and installation of the adapters on your control tubes. This is typically done with a 337 and most FAA are open to approving the installation.

($75 each additional for black).

23 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

67 M20 F. I had Don Maxwell arrange for the yoke wrapping for me on my purchase/annual.  I am totally satisfied with how they turned out.

I've since updated the panel with  a complement of Garmin products. Audio Panel, Transponder, 345 & 650, Voice Command...etc. 

Mooney Yokes.jpg

Kewl!!  Now that my new yokes are in, I should look at the leather wraps too. 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, Jpflysdfw said:

I like the looks of the more moderns yokes and am curious about the logistics of a retrofit.  Does anyone know whether the control wheel shafts on stock M20C, M20E and M20F will accept accept the more more yokes of the 201, Ovaitions, Acclaim’s (without changing out the shafts)?

I have heard they do not. However, in lieu of replacing the control shafts, there is a Mooney SB covering the allowance of adding a bushing to the shaft to fit the newer 201 style yokes. I don't have the number off hand, but I will find it if you are interested. Maybe someone here knows the number. It was given to me by a shop in Texas.

Bob

6 hours ago, Bob R said:

...... there is a Mooney SB covering the allowance of adding a bushing to the shaft to fit the newer 201 style yokes. I don't have the number off hand, but I will find it if you are interested....Bob

@Bob R Yes, that would be fantastic if you would share that information.  Thanks for reaching out and for offering!! Jeff

On 8/19/2018 at 3:20 PM, Bob R said:

I have heard they do not. However, in lieu of replacing the control shafts, there is a Mooney SB covering the allowance of adding a bushing to the shaft to fit the newer 201 style yokes. I don't have the number off hand, but I will find it if you are interested. Maybe someone here knows the number. It was given to me by a shop in Texas.

Bob

I have searched for the referenced SB without success.  Can anyone point me in the right direction? Jeff