QUESTION: Modern Yoke (Control Wheel) on C, E or F

I like the looks of the more moderns yokes and am curious about the logistics of a retrofit.  Does anyone know whether the control wheel shafts on stock M20C, M20E and M20F will accept accept the more more yokes of the 201, Ovaitions, Acclaim’s (without changing out the shafts)?

@Marauder

I like the looks of the more moderns yokes and am curious about the logistics of a retrofit.  Does anyone know whether the control wheel shafts on stock M20C, M20E and M20F will accept accept the more more yokes of the 201, Ovaitions, Acclaim’s (without changing out the shafts)?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did the conversion in 1998 when I had the STEC installed. It did require the shafts to be replaced. I bought the kit directly from Mooney. It contained a blueprint packet along with all of the hardware. And Andy is right, it does away with the AD for doing a dye test on the shafts.

The 1975 models came with what I called the “Mongo” yokes. I really liked them for flying (really meaty and something you could get a nice grip on). They just weren’t easy to mount stuff on like the new style.

d70e61a309eaf061e2198a4e2a6a1ef8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

See the pics in Jesse’s latest plane for sale, by Jessica...

Expect a handful of parts that include the yokes, shafts, bearings....

Expect it to cost a lot more than it should...

To get the parts, talk to Jerry... @acpartswhse....

Talk to your mechanic first... he has to be comfortable doing the work/signing the docs...

It has been done before, legally...

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Expect it to cost a lot more than it should...

Thanks @carusoam , I think the “more than it should...” goes with just about every upgrade/mod that I’ll consider! :)  Thanks also to @Marauder for info and pic and @Andy95W regarding the dye-pen note, was not aware of that added benefit.  

1 hour ago, Mooney-Mark said:

Mine were done before I purchased the airplane. I love them, as well as the 201 panel.

IMG_2068.JPG

Clarence found a set of 231 yokes for me and is installing them as I write this.

• Like 1

I did the upgrade in my C a few years ago. I bought the yokes from someone here... but then discovered how expensive the shafts were. I didn't install the yokes for another year and a half. As I recall, they were about $700 each from Mooney.

Just now, MyNameIsNobody said:

Got my yokes and shafts as well as a set of seats with headrestsfor <300 off EBAY.  An avionics salvage operation was parting out a 201 and “Nobody” bid.  Boom!  Winning.

The shafts won't fit a C or an E, not sure about the F.

• Haha 1

The shafts won't fit a C or an E, not sure about the F.

The yoke shaft blocks are different on the different yokes. This is the factory provided yoke blocks from 1998. Earlier J Mooneys had a different yoke shaft block.

d0b4b3269c2b2c415afafdb7bcde4c2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

Nice Pics of the heat sink farm growing behind the panel...
Did everything fit, or did the yoke’s block get some modification?
This is a great picture for anyone experiencing sticky yoke movement... an annual kind of event...
Best regards,
-a-

You need to be diligent after any avionics work. Not only do you need to check to make sure there isn’t any interference right after avionics work, but also check to make sure nothing changes.

After my first major avionics upgrade, my mechanic called at the annual and said that the rack for the newly installed avionics had dropped down onto the co-pilot shaft. I never felt anything but it sure woke me up to the potential issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I used the yokes and shafts from an Ovation, but also had to change out the bellcrank.  The aft connection to the bellcrank has bronze bearings that are not on the earlier versions.  Of course to to this I had to pay for a DER to confirm the engineering and sign of the application from approved data.

John Breda

• Like 1