Lube the Step

The last few flights saw the vacuum actuated step on my '67C not fully descend after landing.   The engineer in me thought "that needs lubed".   An hour ago, I would have bet serious $$ that someone had previously discussed ad-infinitum how to do this on MooneySpace.  I searched and much to my surprise it did not turn up as an issue...   The maintenance manual says "Tri-Flow every 100 hours" but doesn't say how.  Before I start spraying teflon-infused oil everywhere, can one of you experienced guys give a relative noob a clue?

Thanks!

Use caution when cleaning and lubing the step....

If you exercise it.... expect the spring to have plans for the rest of your afternoon... :)

unconfined springs want to release their energy and will do so in what appears to be a random fashion....

Putting things back in order takes some extra effort...

A memorable experience decades later...

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

Co-pilot and I cleaned square step shaft with brake cleaner, then applied dry teflon lube.   The top half was pretty dry.  We worked it manually several times, and the spring was well behaved.   Seems better now.  Thanks for the advice to all who replied.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Fred_2O said:

Sorry.  I tried using it to clean the track on my electric train back in about 1972.  It ultimately led to gunked-up poorly-conductive electric train track.   Not a fan.

WD-40 is used extensively on boats and planes it is not for toys, it can be harmful to children. 

WD-40 uses https://www.wd40.com/

José

Edited by Piloto

I use all the above on the step

WD-40 - I use more of a degreaser/cleaner than a lubricant, then wipe clean

Tri-Flo - used in the tail to lube the cable, pulley and pivot points

Silicone Spray - on the spring, glide blocks and square tube then let it dry

• Like 1