1966 M20E Super 21 Ground Up Remodel

M20FanJesse

2 hours ago, jafine21 said:

Just to be clear I didn’t say the plane is overpriced, but I think one should be entitled to check it out before agreeing to pay the stated price.

There be douche's out there that run around taking test flights in airplanes for sale with no intention of buying.

• Like 1

Expect the seller wants to only see people that intend to be buyers.  There will be many people that honestly think they want to buy a plane, but can’t do it... (many reasons for this...)

If you want this plane, expect to put in some effort...

Send in your Buyer’s representative...  :)

1) Realistically, all buyers will want to see the plane in person and have it professionally inspected... the PPI should include basic testing to make sure all the shiny color screens are connected and in working order.

2) Go see the plane.  When it meets your expectations, leave ‘earnest money’ with the seller to reserve your place in line...  write a document (purchasing agreement) listing all the steps you expect to take to close the deal... include the expected timeline and the details you want proven...

3) I would be looking to have two people do the PPI work... DMax and his best radio technician...

That turns out to be flying a few approaches using all the equipment available...

Now you have spent a few AMUs, and haven’t gone flying in it yourself. 

4) Once you have paid for a PPI you have now demonstrated how serious you are as a buyer.

5) As a serious buyer, you get the PPI completed and turn it into the first annual.

6) You then follow up with a couple of days of Transition Training... you fly the wings off it getting it delivered to your home drome....

First question I have for you... Have you flown in an M20E yet?  So you know this M20E is what you want when all the PPI details are met... (not even a required step.  Ask Harley how great an M20E is...)

If you don’t yet know the M20E is what you want. This seller doesn’t seem to want to be your friend... he certainly isn’t going to do work for you...

If the seller wants to demonstrate the plane to every qualified buyer... he will pay to use somebody like AAA.

In the end it takes a couple of AMU to buy or sell a plane. Unless both the buyer and seller know each other pretty well.

Yes, I bought my Ovation without even flying it...   :)   Didn’t need to.

This comes from buying/selling used process machinery for a living.  I am Not a used plane seller.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

23 hours ago, carusoam said:

Expect the seller wants to only see people that intend to be buyers.  There will be many people that honestly think they want to buy a plane, but can’t do it... (many reasons for this...)

If you want this plane, expect to put in some effort...

Send in your Buyer’s representative...  :)

1) Realistically, all buyers will want to see the plane in person and have it professionally inspected... the PPI should include basic testing to make sure all the shiny color screens are connected and in working order.

2) Go see the plane.  When it meets your expectations, leave ‘earnest money’ with the seller to reserve your place in line...  write a document (purchasing agreement) listing all the steps you expect to take to close the deal... include the expected timeline and the details you want proven...

3) I would be looking to have two people do the PPI work... DMax and his best radio technician...

That turns out to be flying a few approaches using all the equipment available...

Now you have spent a few AMUs, and haven’t gone flying in it yourself. 

4) Once you have paid for a PPI you have now demonstrated how serious you are as a buyer.

5) As a serious buyer, you get the PPI completed and turn it into the first annual.

6) You then follow up with a couple of days of Transition Training... you fly the wings off it getting it delivered to your home drome....

First question I have for you... Have you flown in an M20E yet?  So you know this M20E is what you want when all the PPI details are met... (not even a required step.  Ask Harley how great an M20E is...)

If you don’t yet know the M20E is what you want. This seller doesn’t seem to want to be your friend... he certainly isn’t going to do work for you...

If the seller wants to demonstrate the plane to every qualified buyer... he will pay to use somebody like AAA.

In the end it takes a couple of AMU to buy or sell a plane. Unless both the buyer and seller know each other pretty well.

Yes, I bought my Ovation without even flying it...   :)   Didn’t need to.

This comes from buying/selling used process machinery for a living.  I am Not a used plane seller.

Best regards,

-a-

Yes I’ve flown an E, and yes the E is the airplane I’m focused in on. But I’m not spending $$ on a PPI orcommitting to a firm price unless I’ve at least put eyeballs on the airplane (except for the $$ I’m spending to go see it, it’s 3 states away).  Otherwise the process you describe doesn’t sound too out of the ordinary (FYI I own an airplane leasing co, not my first rodeo though we only deal with jets professionally) 

I get what everyone is saying about tire kickers, etc., and frankly for the amount of upgraded equipment in it it seems like a pretty fair price, despite some of the comments earlier in this thread. I just found the reaction to my initial inquiry odd - how hard or inconvenient is it to let a prospective buyer walk into a hanger and look at an airplane? Further, it seems like better business sense to get a buyer on site, let them fall in love with the plane, and then tell them the price isn’t negotiable.... just my opinion. 

Edited by jafine21

IMO if a seller / broker is not willing to meet someone to show a plane to someone traveling multiple states away to see, the plane is going to sit awhile. 

@M20FanJesse I like your site... However, I think many plane buyers are numbers/hard facts types of shoppers.  I prefer a list of equipment and real numbers given in an easy to read format vs a quick paragraph that reminds me of BS’ers.  What year was the OH completed? Who did the overhaul? Is it adsb compliant? Damage history?  Useful load?

I don’t care what Neil (latitude aviation) is selling over on BT...I want to buy it right now. His ads are that compelling and if your site could blend some of that format it would be my go to source. 

• Like 2

Yes I’ve flown an E, and yes the E is the airplane I’m focused in on. But I’m not spending $$ on a PPI orcommitting to a firm price unless I’ve at least put eyeballs on the airplane (except for the $$ I’m spending to go see it, it’s 3 states away).  Otherwise the process you describe doesn’t sound too out of the ordinary (FYI I own an airplane leasing co, not my first rodeo though we only deal with jets professionally) 
I get what everyone is saying about tire kickers, etc., and frankly for the amount of upgraded equipment in it it seems like a pretty fair price, despite some of the comments earlier in this thread. I just found the reaction to my initial inquiry odd - how hard or inconvenient is it to let a prospective buyer walk into a hanger and look at an airplane? Further, it seems like better business sense to get a buyer on site, let them fall in love with the plane, and then tell them the price isn’t negotiable.... just my opinion. 

That’s the problem, often they aren’t serious buyers. I have been around people selling planes for years. Sellers can be challenging by themselves, especially those who really don’t want to sell their planes.

But buyers can waste a lot of a seller’s time if they really can’t afford what they want to look at. There isn’t a buyer pre-qualification process so by telling potential buyers he isn’t negotiating, he is trying to weed out tire kickers. Of course, he could be losing potential buyers, but serious buyers will know what this plane is worth and won’t squawk at the price — that is until they do start the negotiations for the final selling price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Short Body Mooneys start the entry level of the Mooney world...

This particular seller doesn’t want to teach the ‘art of the deal’ with first time buyers...

He will miss out on some capable buyers using this technique.  At this time, he doesn’t seem to mind that some well meaning but less motivated people don’t come around...

If you want to buy this plane, you are needing to up your motivation.

Use caution when telling him you are in the business....

I would expect that you are now buying the instrument panel to mount in an expensive Jet that Needs a good panel...

There are a few planes that get listed for sale. That are not really actually for sale...

If you see my forever-plane go up for sale, and I’m still alive.... my wife must want it gone...  it will get an unbelievably high price put on it and have restrictions that make it nearly impossible to see...  locked in an unmarked hangar...

See how that works...?

All those CBs won’t pay a Mil for my special plane, honey. It’s not my fault it doesn’t sell. 

The challenge with this routine... you have to stay alive, while your wife may have other plans for you and your Dad gum airplane... :)

To buy a premium plane takes premium efforts and premium amounts of dough and time... dozens of pics and logs should be available through email.  This is a first hint if a plane is really for sale...

When you jump through all the hoops, you essentially give all your negotiations away...

• this plane is unique
  • there isn’t one you can point at on the lot and say I’ll buy that one over there...
  • You really want it.  You wouldn’t have gone through all the hoops...
  • you flew 1000nm to see it...
  • you used vacation time or weekends to make it happen...
  • Cover your tracks if you think you are going to be negotiating...

The best part... this plane is purported to be really nice... if it really is really nice... agree to pay the asking price based on it passing the PPI...

Keep in mind... 

Most people here already own their Mooney. Opinions may be slanted a bit towards people that will be selling their prized possessions...  :)

If this E is for you... up your game, Make it happen!

Report back after you get an agreement between you and the seller.  Radio silence is your negotiating friend....

PP thoughts only, I have only sold one airplane... and don’t intend to sell the next one... unless, a turbine Mooney becomes available...

Best regards,

-a-

All those avionics gadgets looks nice but do not compare to the comfort provided by a pilot relief tube. No cans to mess around and unlimited inflight capability. If your plane has cup holders or long range tanks you need this. The suction at funnel insures not a single drop spilled. Not a need to empty the bottle at the FBO when you land. the funnel hose easily curls underneath the seat for a concealed storage. Privacy can be provided by charts or a small towel. For $30.00 it beats any Garmin gadget.

José

Relief Venturi in Mooney.jpg

The Bottle. Preflight: Make sure is empty before flight

Pee Bottle.jpg

Edited by Piloto
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, mooneysteve said:

Hi Alex, nice avatar, I'm on Pelican also and replied to your get together. Good luck with the new bird.20121228_151659.jpg.08942d6d308da445e83f4576fd948c97.jpg

Ah yes, a fellow Porschephile & Mooney Pilot. Looks to be I am in very good company. I have RUF wheels on mine now also. Check Pelican for updates on Turbopalooza. Cheers.

pcar.jpg