1966 M20E Super 21 Ground Up Remodel

M20FanJesse

My friend Jessica just listed this 1966 M20E Super 21 for sale on WingSwap, and I just had to share it with you all. You'll have to read the description for whats all included, but its as if Mooney rolled out a brand new M20E in 2018! If you think of it like that, the asking price of 135k is a bargain. Just lowered too. Full LED, Garmin G500 EFIS equipped instrument panel paired with a Garmin GTN750 GPS/NAV/COM and GMA35 remote audio panel. All cylinders overhauled in 2017.

https://wingswap.com/listing/10559

Mooney-N201DY-5-large.jpg

IMG_9433-large-large.jpg

IMG_9439-large (1).jpg

• Like 4

My friend Jessica just listed this 1966 M20E Super 21 for sale on WingSwap, and I just had to share it with you all. You'll have to read the description for whats all included, but its as if Mooney rolled out a brand new M20E in 2018! If you think of it like that, the asking price of 135k is a bargain. Just lowered too. Full LED, Garmin G500 EFIS equipped instrument panel paired with a Garmin GTN750 GPS/NAV/COM and GMA35 remote audio panel. All cylinders overhauled in 2017.

https://www.wingswap.com/listing/10325

Mooney-N201DY-5-large.thumb.jpg.5e442d1a35b693c129d68e889a07bf68.jpg

IMG_9433-large-large.thumb.jpg.df13eed1e45036ccb13a29e0131d34f4.jpg

692356989_IMG_9439-large(1).thumb.jpg.9c9e6de929893a7844fae0e4ea84d7bb.jpg

Oh oh. I think this E just kicked Bob B’s E off of the perch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

But as @Bob_Belville says... do you want an airplane that flies or one to look good sitting in your hangar. I'd still take Bob's over this one. I know Bob's is in good running condition. This one hasn't flown in quite some time. Not saying it's worthless, just not as desirable as Bob's E.

It is obviously a total restoration... but not all of their decisions make sense to me. And so I'm not inclined to pay top dollar for thing's I'd really wished were done differently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I’m pretty sure that never before has a Mooney been created that can withstand the strict scrutiny of MooneySpace.  

I know what you're saying Jim, and you are correct in that we as a group, and I in particular, are pretty tough critics of some of the airplanes that get listed here. But then we as a group probably know more about the market for used Mooneys than most groups. I'm pretty sure we don't make the market, we just observe it closely.

This is a recent example of one that was only listed here on MooneySpace, but was priced right and sold quickly. And Ron, the seller talks about how nice it was to sell the airplane using MooneySpace.

I'm curious as to what AllAmerican would think they could get for this particular E. It was originally listed at $169K. And I'm sure the seller has well over $200K in it. It's truly unfortunate that it is for sale rather than being flown and enjoyed by whoever spent Ovation money on it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Without a doubt. Unless one values a Johnson Bar or an engine that has been flown regularly... 

There's at least two of us here whomare very glad that our Mooneys do NOT have Johnson bars. Well, the latest may not be happy to trade in his plane for one with electric gear, but I bet he's glad that electric gear Mooneys are available. Not sure my chronic shoulder issues would permit the level of flying I've done the last decade.

• Like 2

Some one will grab it I’m sure! It’s really pretty. Can’t fault the guy for making it really nice. I like the interior trims and back seat cup holders. However, it’s been for sale for over a year since the first time I saw it. 

I’d buy it for 85k, sell mine for 55k, and have an even nicer E!! 

Only those that have torn our airplanes to the bones can appreciate this. Others will think it’s crazy. If it had a fresh engine at 135k that would be a neat airplane! 

Jessie, I think you should buy it and keep it forever! 

-Matt

Jesse,

Tell us about your friend Jessica...

There is an interesting story in there for sure...

Who did the work?

What inspired all the details?

How Long did this ground up project actually take?

Bob’s E is amazing...

Both would make great retirement Mooneys...

Jessica’s E is available... :)

See if you can share more of the back story...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Jesse,

Tell us about your friend Jessica...

There is an interesting story in there for sure...

Who did the work?

What inspired all the details?

How Long did this ground up project actually take?

Bob’s E is amazing...

Both would make great retirement Mooneys...

Jessica’s E is available... :)

See if you can share more of the back story...

Best regards,

-a-

What does Bob's E look like?!

4 hours ago, bill98 said:

What does Bob's E look like?!

You're new here, aren't you? :rolleyes:

• New Imron  paint by Hawk June 2018
  • SabreCowl
  • Hartzell Scimitar Prop
  • Johnson Bar Manual Gear, hydraulic flaps
  • Speed Brakes, manual actuating
  • 64 gallons Bladders
  • One piece belly, all(?) speed mods including 201 windshield
  • CYA100 AOA
  • STEC50
  • Stormscope 900
  • JPI EDM 930
  • GTN 750
  • GDL 88 ADS-B I/O
  • Aspen 1000 Pro w SV, AOA, ADS-B, GPSS
  • Leather Interior, etc. 2012
  • Owned since 2/2012 by long time (49 years) Mooney pilot and flown ~75 hours per year. Maintained by the owner and AGL Aviation Services, a MSC.

Not your grandpa's '66E.

IMG_20180721_131218726[2].jpg

IMG_20180710_142657343_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20180710_142623552_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20171029_131906835_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

MS is a tough crowd to post a for sale ad on. Opinions are strong, sometimes comparable to POA members. Not sure why that is. Several have posted various reasons. Kind of like walking on egg shells if you are not thick skinned. Just like when you sell something to a friend or neighbor. You want to sell it, but he is your friend and neighbor and you want to keep it that way..

I'm hoping to start a new business venture (opening another fitness center in a adjacent town) In the next few months and unfortunately I don't think my wallet can afford two airplane payments and keep them both serviced and flying regular. I'll be putting my E on the market and other than this mention and probably a quick short post in our MS classifieds I won't push it hard on MS. We are a tough crowd, I have a ton invested as I thought it would be my forever bird, so not much was left to do. Not high-jacking the thread, but avionics wise we are very close in comp. 41M is a 74 E and will be listed just a hair north of 100k.

I'll be curious to see where this goes and the comments posted. High dollar asking price with lots of mods. Should be interesting. Don't think it will fetch asking price, but I sure wish it would.

Good luck Jesse and owner..Maybe we will give WingSwap a try next month.. :)

-Tom  

hanger pic.jpg

Mooney Interior 1.jpg

Finished panel 2.JPG

Mooney Graet Pic.jpg

• Like 5

MS is a tough crowd to post a for sale ad on. Opinions are strong, sometimes comparable to POA members. Not sure why that is. Several have posted various reasons. Kind of like walking on egg shells if you are not thick skinned. Just like when you sell something to a friend or neighbor. You want to sell it, but he is your friend and neighbor and you want to keep it that way..
I'm hoping to start a new business venture (opening another fitness center in a adjacent town) In the next few months and unfortunately I don't think my wallet can afford two airplane payments and keep them both serviced and flying regular. I'll be putting my E on the market and other than this mention and probably a quick short post in our MS classifieds I won't push it hard on MS. We are a tough crowd, I have a ton invested as I thought it would be my forever bird, so not much was left to do. Not high-jacking the thread, but avionics wise we are very close in comp. 41M is a 74 E and will be listed just a hair north of 100k.
I'll be curious to see where this goes and the comments posted. High dollar asking price with lots of mods. Should be interesting. Don't think it will fetch asking price, but I sure wish it would.
Good luck Jesse and owner..Maybe we will give WingSwap a try next month..
-Tom  
1629459573_hangerpic.jpg.20ae1386d45aaf6818d9a846913ea008.jpg
770502467_MooneyInterior1.thumb.jpg.2b253b7a9806633f3d504061fa7c0693.jpg
1494083975_Finishedpanel2.JPG.b7ad6d633147ab5295d7e892cf35b0df.JPG
153849799_MooneyGraetPic.jpg.6c2c6674958ed58b60efd75e348e92aa.jpg

I agree with you. I would never post my Mooney for sale here. I’ll just call up one of those people who have called me over the years begging to sell her to them.

Posting a Mooney for sale here is like taking a pig to sale at the auction. “She’s too fat”, “She’s too old”, “Her belly is dragging on the ground” — and no matter what you do to your plane, to those critics, it’s like putting lipstick on that pig.

People don’t appreciate the effort (and $) we put into these updated planes. Why should they? They say they’re happy with their pig. Oink

f50aa94065934c26cf38f07f467b42d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This is why I've adopted the policy of asking permission from the owner before posting on a forum. Even if there's risk for criticism, its worth it, as long as its allowed. Eyeballs are eyeballs. I was notified someone saw my ad on wingswap from this forum, and they are contacting the owner to come take a look at it today. The power of WingSwap :lol:

Carusoam, I am a "social media" friend with Jessica. She's a professional aviation photographer and I've followed her work for a while. I will ask her the back story on the plane and get back to you guys! 

Bob I saw your Mooney at Oshkosh and was blown away! Truly is spectacular. 

Tom, I would be honored to help you sell that beauty! Featured listing is on me! 

• Like 3

At the other end of the spectrum, I feel the same way about listing my high time and almost runout, 64 gallon bladder equipped but otherwise pretty much bone stock but regularly flown, always hangared, and absolutely pristine ‘78 J here. Even priced at 40K there will be folks pointing out that it doesn’t have a WAAS GPS and autopilot.  I guess it’s hard for some folks to believe that not everyone flies the same way and for the same reasons they do. Safely to the tune of 10,500 hours in the case of my J.  
Jim

Sounds like your pig needs some lipstick. Oink oink.

77541d1d141d6bb804b0ad756159f1c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, TWinter said:

Good luck Jesse and owner..Maybe we will give WingSwap a try next month.. :)

-Tom  

hanger pic.jpg

Mooney Interior 1.jpg

Finished panel 2.JPG

Mooney Graet Pic.jpg

Tom really sweet bird, shame you’ll be selling.Good luck in your venture 

• Like 1