First Landing at Butter Valley (7N8) with the Mooney 1535'x24'

Kmac

One of my favorite airports to fly into for breakfast when I used to fly my father's Cessna 150 TD was Butter Valley.  Since purchasing my Mooney at the end of March 2018 I didn't make it back until now.  This is my first landing at Butter Valley since purchasing the Mooney.  Runway is 1535'x24' with 900' of grass overrun.  My dad and brother flew over first in his brand "C" and shot the video.  You can hear my father in the background urging me to add power.

Edited by Kmac
Addition
  • Like 11

My first landing at Butter Valley since purchasing the Mooney.  Runway is 1535'x24' with 900' of grass overrun.  My dad and brother flew over first in his brand "C" and shot the video.  You can hear my dad back seat piloting in the background.

I thought that airport sounded familiar. A couple of flight reviews ago I flew with an instructor out of KLOM and the emergency landing demonstration was to that airport. I remembered how short it looked. If I recall correctly, the first part of the runway is grass. Or least a grass overrun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I thought that airport sounded familiar. A couple of flight reviews ago I had flew with an instructor out of KLOM and the emergency landing demonstration was to that airport. I remembered how short it looked. If I recall correctly, the first part of the runway is grass. Or least a grass overrun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The grass overrun is on the north end.   I knew that when I consistently got off at the first exit at my home field I would have no trouble.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done in presence of a limp windsock.  Suspect dragging it in a bit was the only reliable way to go here.  I'm not ready for 1500 yet - I've done 1900 a few times and the end of the runway tends to come up a little to fast for comfort.  

5 minutes ago, DXB said:

Nicely done in presence of a limp windsock.  Suspect dragging it in a bit was the only reliable way to go here.  I'm not ready for 1500 yet - I've done 1900 a few times and the end of the runway tends to come up a little to fast for comfort.  

next time you are over this way you need to try it, easier then it looks and you have plenty of overrun if you need it.

just fly the numbers and make the end of the runway your touchdown point, no need for anything fancy. if at anytime you get uncomfortable with the landing, just go around.

Brian

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

For some reason, I'm more concerned with getting OUT of that runway, than getting in. My 252 tends to eat up runway and doesn't exactly climb away quickly.

I'll tell you, when I did the practice emergency landing there, the CFI had me fly down to a couple hundred feet of that runway. It LOOKED short!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7N8 looks like fun!  I’ll have to drop in for lunch one nice day soon.  (Yeah, I have reverse thrust; no fair) 

If that’s too short then nearby in Maryland we have 2W2 which is a lengthy 1840’    I went in there in my E model a few times 2 decades ago.  Never did so recently in the Ovation; it just felt too tight to me for that plane.  

• Like 2

I miss the slightly crooked 2000' grass strip that was 8 nm away from my obstructed 3000' x 75' paved home field when I lived in West-by-Gawd, Virginny. But I make do by basing at a 3150 x 75 field with a full length taxiway, and visiting my aging parents whose nearby airport is heavily patched, uphill 2770 x 40.

Then again, one MAPA PPP had me do a simulated engine out to a field 2440 x 30 . . . . It's all what you get used to, what you practice and flying the right numbers for your actual weight for each landing. 

• Like 1

In the video above I had my 13 year old nephew right seat and I had about 15 gallons of fuel.   I went back this past Saturday with a standard size adult passenger.  We planned to go elsewhere but diverted due to fog, this time with nearly full tanks.  Even better landing...wish I had that one on video.  For me, the most fun part of flying is trying to make a great landing.

I drove past Butter Valley early in my aviation ‘career’...

The numbers are tight, with a lot of run-off area...

What I couldn’t determine was... how do you take into account running out of pavement...? What is that transition going to be like?

I drove up to that funny little stop sign in the video... and chickened out from flying a rental C152 there...

Looks like a great golf/flying adventure...

Really know your airspeeds and weight... and control them religiously... or get reverse thrust... :)

The Long Body with 310hp can be off in the allotted pavement... easily when light... hot temps, and heavy weights, the calculator comes out....  800’ vs 1200’ with the 280hp...

Jerry, 

About that reverse thrust... how quick can it be deployed? Set the prop, then the thrust? 5 or 10 seconds before it spools up?

Wondering how that works in real life?

Best regards,

-a-

a lifetime of flying experience... C152, M20C, M20R... to P46T. 109hp, 180, 280, 310, 550shp?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2018 at 9:32 AM, Kmac said:

The grass overrun is on the north end.   I knew that when I consistently got off at the first exit at my home field I would have no trouble.

This is how it’s supposed to be done! Whomever did your transition training set the right bar. You’re a good example of how we can keep people from being like the poor soul in the pics below...this was at MD2W2 a few years ago. @Jerry 5TJ It pained me to see one of my brethren in the weeds. Landing on 1563’ of available runway with with a 2.1% downhill gradient demands “A Game” performance and discipline. The sort of thing that should not be taken lightly.  Clearview also has a grass over run, but its not quite as well groomed as Butter Valley:).

C42C6E85-C70C-4564-9885-5769D253E82B.thumb.jpeg.dc519078080bf714920df39a9e506e92.jpeg

B5B2B890-22BE-4264-8BE8-3D26ED26D4E0.jpeg.1a5309d713fd7deea2f9fd20502800d4.jpeg

Edited by Shadrach

On 8/21/2018 at 11:34 PM, carusoam said:

.....About that reverse thrust... how quick can it be deployed? Set the prop, then the thrust? 5 or 10 seconds before it spools up?

Wondering how that works in real life?

Thrust is set with the power lever. Prop RPM is normally fixed at 2170 throughout the flight, including on final. Once the nose wheel is on the ground the power lever is lifted past a stop and aft. The further aft the greater the reverse thrust.  

Initial response is as rapid as the prop’s blade pitch can move from flat into reverse.  It feels instantaneous.  

Up to 200 shaft hp in reverse may be applied for 30 seconds, says the POH.  

• Like 2

Thrust is set with the power lever. Prop RPM is normally fixed at 2170 throughout the flight, including on final. Once the nose wheel is on the ground the power lever is lifted past a stop and aft. The further aft the greater the reverse thrust.  
Initial response is as rapid as the prop’s blade pitch can move from flat into reverse.  It feels instantaneous.  
Up to 200 shaft hp in reverse may be applied for 30 seconds, says the POH.  

Sometimes a video is better than a description. Nice landing Jerry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I agree. I don't like the dip on the runway shown in the video. If you ever porpoised, which can be done easily on a long body,  a prop strike would be almost a given.

Why would long body Mooneys be more prone to porpoising than lighter shorter Mooneys? Are the CGs were that different?