io360 prop strike value

Folks,   the insurance has paid me for my m20a, now it's up for salvage bids, the engine has a total

time of 535 hours  from 1986, if I won bid what can I expect to sell engine for?, I will have 

the logs with it,  tips were bent about 3 inches in,  the front wheel  saved most of the prop.  is thereany market for a prop strike

engine?      Thanks  Mike.     

I'm no expert by any stretch, but per lycoming it now has to be torn down for inspection using the following breakdown:

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SB533C Recommended Action for sudden Engine Stoppage%2C Propeller_Rotor Strike or Loss of Propeller_Rotor Blade or Ti (1).pdf

The plane I bought had a prop strike many years ago and reading the log books I believe the prop strike inspection/rebuilt was about 8k-10k and that had no damage to the case or major components after inspection.  I saw Alan had an engine posted the other day for 12.5k.  I don't remember the details to know how close a comparison is to your engine.  But if the engine would sell for 12.5 and needs a 10k inspection that leaves you with 2.5k in value which is a gamble since if the case were to have been cracked that 2.5k is now gone and then some. 

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in, but to me it doesn't seem like it's worth anything.  Seems like it would be worth more parting it out.

On the other hand, I might be interested in the prop as a decorative piece. :)

Yeah, what they said...

I have witnessed magnetic particle inspections performed on crankshafts that passed a prior dye test. It was horrifying to see the radial cracks beneath the surface of a prop flange on an otherwise excellent looking crank... Lycoming requires magnetic particle Insp for a reason...because other methods won’t reveal the hidden damage. More than a few builders will take a chance, and only put a dial indicator on the flange. That’s nothing short of insane.

A friend lost his prop in flight with 4 on board. The result of an unreported prop strike on a salvage engine that his employer purchased (with logbook) for the plane that he was flying. They were all very lucky to survive the event. That really got my attention.

If the engine or parts will be sold with a money back guarantee that the parts will pass inspection, then the engine or parts will have considerable value. 

There is an AD covering propeller strikes, it drives compliance with Lycoming s/b 475C which says to inspect the crankshaft gear and to replace the retaining bolt and lock plate. Splitting the case is not required for this, only removing the accessory cover.

S/B 533 is not required by law, but should be done by common sense.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

23 hours ago, M20Doc said:

There is an AD covering propeller strikes, it drives compliance with Lycoming s/b 475C which says to inspect the crankshaft gear and to replace the retaining bolt and lock plate. Splitting the case is not required for this, only removing the accessory cover.

Guy on my field bought a 201 that had a gear up landing and repaired it.  He was really proud of the fact that he only replaced the bolt and lock plate.  Felt like anyone who did more than this was a sucker. 

This is also the same guy that less than a month after boasting how much he saved, had trouble on takeoff.  When he got it back on the ground, found he hadn't sumped the tanks and he had sucked water into the engine.  And then a month or two later he ran off the runway and trashed the plane at Myrtle Beach.

A pattern of bad dicisions?

11 hours ago, bob865 said:

Guy on my field bought a 201 that had a gear up landing and repaired it.  He was really proud of the fact that he only replaced the bolt and lock plate.  Felt like anyone who did more than this was a sucker. 

This is also the same guy that less than a month after boasting how much he saved, had trouble on takeoff.  When he got it back on the ground, found he hadn't sumped the tanks and he had sucked water into the engine.  And then a month or two later he ran off the runway and trashed the plane at Myrtle Beach.

A pattern of bad dicisions?

Nice edit!  I was trying to point out what is required by the AD correcting some misconceptions.  My last sentence says SB533 is common sense.

Clarence