M20C Fuel Guage Limitation Markings

I just purchased a new to me 1975 Mooney M20C Serial# 20-1172 and love it! I am trying to learn the most I can about my aircraft so that I do not get in a bight.

I have a question regarding the fuel gauge limitation markings. I have read through my POH and have not found any reference to it. Between “E” and “36” lbs there is a yellow band, but it does not cover the entire distance between the two markings. What is this yellow band and what are the associated numbers, limitations and/or cautions with it?  Is this a "No slip" area, 30 Min Fuel area,  (that cant be due to different fuel flow rates and IFR vs VFR reserves).  Then is the 30 min the bottom of the yellow to E? I have sticked the tanks bottom of the yellow leaves about 4 gal of fuel in tank. (30 min at my cruise settings). I don't have the stones to run the tank dry to know the exact time from bottom of yellow to flame out. Please see the attached picture.

I have contacted Mooney and they stated it  was "Be cautious your low on fuel"...duh....if that was the case every aircraft would have a yellow caution area, but Mooney did not do this.

If you guys have the answer please let me know and attach the reference.

Fly Smart1328720742_fuelguage.thumb.JPG.8ae6a31d06ee0f989309eae0aa912b30.JPG
Ryan

Guest tommy123

It means you are almost out of fuel. Mooney told you this. Mooney put those markings on the gauge. Mooney is the highest authority on Mooneys.

Why do you think people on this forum know more about Mooney than Mooney does. I’m sure there’s a few that think they do but they are wrong.

Hey R Van, I think I have your answer....

Start with the most recent POH for your airframe.  

Check the downloads section to see what the latest version there is...

1976 was the latest for the M20C... I believe. I bought one in Y2K... available through your MSC...

Section 4 is the limitations section... most of the markings of each gauge are covered...

The yellow zone on the fuel gauges didn't get a mention...

But, this did get a mention...   to preclude fuel starvation, avoid extreme sustained side slips toward the tank in use when that tank contains less than 36 pounds of fuel... Page 4-9

What the good people at Mooney said... And probably meant....

36 pounds or Six gallons of fuel, while cruising at about 9gph... you are low on fuel in that tank.... And you risk unporting the fuel in a slip, or nose down attitude... helps to be familiar with where the fuel pick-ups are located.  Lowering the wing and dropping the nose makes the fuel want to run away from the pick-up in uncoordinated flight.

flying in bumps... this number might be closer to 50 pounds and gets more critical as the nose gets lowered on final approach... the POH doesn’t have answers that include strong cross-winds, bumps, and steep nose down attitudes...

Refer to the GUMPS Check list for a method to avoid this procedurally...

1 hour ago, tommy123 said:

Why do you think people on this forum know more about Mooney than Mooney does. I’m sure there’s a few that think they do but they are wrong.

Some people have memorized where stuff is in their POH. They may not have it all memorized, but they know where to get it and how to share it...

Some things in the POH are not the best information available.  People around here have filled in the missing areas, and lined out some of the OWTs...

Unfortunately, over time, the most knowledgeable people for the M20C, like Bill Wheat... have flown west... Bill was an engineer and test pilot for Mooney in the early 60s... and stayed on through multiple owners... long into the new century...

A question like this would arise, And Bill would surely have an answer...  He would talk to you on the phone like you bought the plane just yesterday...

I bought my M20C and spoke to Bill about getting the best POH for the plane... 35years after he signed it’s AW statement in my airframe’s Log...

There is a thread around here celebrating Bill... lots of people had his signature in their log, and shared the page...

It is truly amazing how the collective mind of MS works. As a community we have encountered most of the situations that a new Mooney owner is going to ask...

No one individual is going to have all the answers... but one of us will know where to find it...

MS has members from Mooney, some MSCs support us Often, we have one MSC that is here sharing tech details daily... we have the Grimm reaper who has dissected a few Mooney structures and .... pro pilots, mechanics, instrument gurus...

Sorry Tommy123, I think I miss understood your statement...

I clearly don’t think I know much about Mooneys... but I knew where to look up the answer to the OP’s question. It isn’t about who knows more...

It’s about sharing knowledge... that’s why we are here...

You get some, and you give some... :)

Now you have to ask... why didn’t Mooney supply that full answer.... is there a corporate lawyer sitting next to the phone not allowing the full answer to be detailed...?( insert your favorite conspiracy theory here)

How did I do?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1