Stratus ESG Install

Hello,  with the 2020 deadline approaching I was looking to get the ADS-B out.  Is this cost breakdown reasonable?

Unit cost is $2495

Antenna depending on which one expect around $500 - $600

Installation labor around 32 hours @ $95 = $3040

Encoder if you need a new one $400

Misc parts $200

Transponder test $250

Altimeter test $250

Estimated total  $7235

Seems to be pretty expensive seeing how this is being forced upon us....is there a cheaper way to pay to play.....Thoughts?  Currently have a Bendix/King KT 76C.

Edited by aerobat95

Labor seems high, from what I have seen. Are those figures from a shop or just your rough estimates? And the Stratus ESG package should include an antenna. Those numbers look to be more in the GTX 345 range from what I have been reading. Even last year, the GTX 345 was reportedly being installed for around $6,500.

What is your current transponder/panel setup? Any WAAS GPS in the mix?

I considered it, but in the end I found that for about the same price I could get a GDL-82 and comply.  The clincher was when I stopped at a vendor at Oshkosh and got both a new GDL-82 AND a GTX-327 (used with an 8130) for the same price.  I'll be getting an install to replace a KT-76a  thinking the whole works should come in about 3amu. 

Aerobat- you don't have to go through an avionics shop.  There are inexpensive UAT solutions that your A&P/IA can install at your next annual, probably for about 10-15 hours of labor, less if you're willing to remove and install your interior yourself.  Even Garmin has a UAT out solution that they'll sell outside of the dealer network.

And a new transponder/altimeter check shouldn't be required, since it's an electrical connection, not pneumatic.  And a decent avionics shop would just roll that into the overall quote.

The problem is finding an IA that likes doing electrical work and has the time to work with you.

Tailwind avionics did did my ESG install in November 2017.

ESI kit with stratus ADSB in $2,695.31

Labor 18 hours $1530.00 to remove Narco AT150,  Install Transponder and Stratus receiver,  Waas from my 430W.

Hardware $12.13

Shipping $20.00

North Carolina rip off tax on labor and parts $182.75

$4,440.19

I am having the Stratus ES and 2i installed right now in my 67 M20F.  I will let you know the total cost after it is completed.  I chose the ES as I have a Garmin 430W so I did not need another antenna and the 2i because I only have one plane.  FYI Sugar Land avionics quoted my $5000 for just the ES and not including the 2i.

I’ve done two ESG installs (with GPS and 2i), one in my Citabria and the other in my son’s Cherokee Warrior.  The equipment cost was $3,500 and labor was $1,000.  These were done by different shops and the cost was almost identical.  Lee