Accelerometer

Has anyone installed an accelerometer/g-meter in their Mooney? I saw that aircraft spruce had a model that replaces the clock. I know most smartphones have them built in but I couldn’t tell if there was a good app that runs in the background. Seems like it might be a good thing to have.

I know some people would rather not know, but it seems like it would be nice if there’s an accurate way to know if I’ve exceeded the g-limits.

https://aerovonics.com/av-20-1

1) How about a bunch of usable sensors to go with that...? Including a spare AI...

2) The challenge with a portable G meter... when you are getting tossed about in a thunderstorm... who is going to hold the phone in a nicely oriented fashion without cushioning the Gs?

3) There is no case for TMI.  Having usable data allows you to understand how inside the envelope you actually operate... unless you are flying above Vna in really bumpy weather, regularly...

4) it is better to know, than not to know...

5) why people don’t have one... expense, Panel space, ...

6) It would be interesting to see how many Gs are recorded in a descending turn with a 30° Bank, from base to final...

7) The AoAi would be more usable, but the G meter would be nice to have.... for flight analysis.

8) probably not very useful as a flight instrument... but very useful to better understand the limitations of your plane, and how close you actually were to the edge when flying...

9) I have a chart describing accelerated stalls, but not very much on decelerated stalls...

This was a Kosh product announcement I believe...

PP thoughts, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 5:42 AM, Jerry 5TJ said:

The GT-50 clock / g meter is an option.  All solid state. Made in California.   $169.  

GT-50

I had an empty 2-1/2" hole in my panel so I filled it with a GT-50 clock/timer/g-meter/voltmeter.   I liked everything about it except one thing that drove me nuts.   It has a low voltage warning mode that seems to be its #1 priority.  Any time the voltage falls below about 12.7 for about 20 seconds, the thing becomes a blinking distraction.   Getting ready to take off, I want to know the time, and it is blinking voltage!  Doing my checklist, and runup, that thing is blinking voltage!  I already have a voltmeter in my a/c.   I took it out and replaced it with a good 'ol Davtron M811B.    The AV-20-S will be on my Christmas list.

I'm confused...why does one think they need or want a G meter in a standard category aircraft?

I have flown and currently fly an aircraft with a G meter.  I find it as useful as the ADF.  I look at it exactly once per flight, when the checklist tells me to zero it out before starting the engines.

In fully aerobatic aircraft they are a useful tool.  Below 60 degrees AOB not so much.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 4:07 AM, carusoam said:

https://aerovonics.com/av-20-1

1) How about a bunch of usable sensors to go with that...? Including a spare AI...

2) The challenge with a portable G meter... when you are getting tossed about in a thunderstorm... who is going to hold the phone in a nicely oriented fashion without cushioning the Gs?

3) There is no case for TMI.  Having usable data allows you to understand how inside the envelope you actually operate... unless you are flying above Vna in really bumpy weather, regularly...

4) it is better to know, than not to know...

5) why people don’t have one... expense, Panel space, ...

6) It would be interesting to see how many Gs are recorded in a descending turn with a 30° Bank, from base to final...

7) The AoAi would be more usable, but the G meter would be nice to have.... for flight analysis.

8) probably not very useful as a flight instrument... but very useful to better understand the limitations of your plane, and how close you actually were to the edge when flying...

9) I have a chart describing accelerated stalls, but not very much on decelerated stalls...

This was a Kosh product announcement I believe...

PP thoughts, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

Just so you know g is the only lower case letter on the flight deck of a C-130 and it is on the g meter.

• Like 1

For those confused, G is the universal gravitational constant, g is acceleration due to gravity. The question of what is the only lower case letter on the flight deck keeps the new guys busy for quite a while. Goes along with where is the part made by Harley Davidson and where is there part of a Louisville slugger.

1 hour ago, b65cuda said:

Just so you know g is the only lower case letter on the flight deck of a C-130 and it is on the g meter.

My darn iPad puts caps all over the place...

Most times I do it myself and then blame Siri....

Now... the way I wrote it... is plural stil just g?

Like, I was pulling 3g in that turn?

Or is it... I was pulling 3gs in that turn?

I went to google... they spelled it G’s in the first few results...  that just can’t be right... that would imply some form of ownership...

then I went to wiki...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

that’s a big capital G right in the wiki search result.

They have a chart where numbers of g forces all use the unit g.

discussed the acceleration in m/s2 and the rate of change of the acceleration as jerk... m/s3.

So now i’m Really wondering...

i’m Going to stick with just g...

if siri let’s me...

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

the AV-20 is now certified

Richard @Skates97, when is yours going in? I'm intrigued by the concept and the cost of installation... I am currently considering a G5 as my primary--AI--in my field of view and moving my KG-258--KAP-150 AI--down to the turn and bank (T&B) spot for $3k more than the AV-20-S. The G5 would provide primary attitude, T&B, rate of turn, coordination, long with supplemental airspeed, altitude, heading, coordination, etc... The KG-258 would continue to provide primary AI information, while driving the KAP-150 autopilot. 

I'm asking because I recently lost my attitude indicator due to a vacuum pump failure in VFR conditions... I never want to experience that failure in IMC, as I'm not sure if I would have survived the outcome, as it was a turbulent flight and my T&B was all over the place. 

The AV-20-S is only certified as a supplemental instrument, meaning that it can't be utilized for primary anything. I'm a nerd with too many devices and I have several that can provide the same functions as the AV-20-S in a non-supplemental way. So I guess my question is what is the "so what" of a AV-20S installation.

The G5 is $2200 as an AI with my recent quote of 16 hours @$105 per hour for installation. Interested in the AV's install cost...

• Like 1

I'm interested in getting the AV-20S, but only if it can be approved as primary as a clock.  All the other stuff can be secondary and that would be fine with me.  If it can be my clock I can replace my Davtron clock.  For instrument flying a clock with a sweep second hand or digital equivalent is required.  A clock with a second readout is buried too deeply in the GTN650 for me to consider it as suitable.  I can display a clock on the map page, but that only shows hours and minutes.

I would love to have a real time TAS readout, a poor man's probeless AOA, and an emergency attitude indicator among other features.  Even though we will be installing dual G5's early next year, it would be nice to have another ADI to look at for comparison when things don't look right and then, if need be, to watch while I change the HSI into an ADI.

To me a more useful accelerometer would be a horizontal axis accelerometer. This would indicate if the engine is applying the required force before the plane reaches V1 so takeoff can be aborted on time if needed. On an over gross condition or low engine power output this device could warn the pilot of a marginal takeoff condition.

José 

13 minutes ago, Piloto said:

To me a more useful accelerometer would be a horizontal axis accelerometer. This would indicate if the engine is applying the required force before the plane reaches V1 so takeoff can be aborted on time if needed. On an over gross condition or low engine power output this device could warn the pilot of a marginal takeoff condition.

José 

Or, you could look out the window and see if you have used the predicted amount of runway....

I don't think that acceleration during takeoff is uniform since the propeller's efficiency changes with airspeed ...and other factors.  The g force would have to be correlated to a specific point in the takeoff.

10 hours ago, jonhop said:

Richard @Skates97, when is yours going in? I'm intrigued by the concept and the cost of installation... I am currently considering a G5 as my primary--AI--in my field of view and moving my KG-258--KAP-150 AI--down to the turn and bank (T&B) spot for $3k more than the AV-20-S. The G5 would provide primary attitude, T&B, rate of turn, coordination, long with supplemental airspeed, altitude, heading, coordination, etc... The KG-258 would continue to provide primary AI information, while driving the KAP-150 autopilot. 

I'm asking because I recently lost my attitude indicator due to a vacuum pump failure in VFR conditions... I never want to experience that failure in IMC, as I'm not sure if I would have survived the outcome, as it was a turbulent flight and my T&B was all over the place. 

The AV-20-S is only certified as a supplemental instrument, meaning that it can't be utilized for primary anything. I'm a nerd with too many devices and I have several that can provide the same functions as the AV-20-S in a non-supplemental way. So I guess my question is what is the "so what" of a AV-20S installation.

The G5 is $2200 as an AI with my recent quote of 16 hours @$105 per hour for installation. Interested in the AV's install cost...

Planning on purchasing next month before the discount goes away and will either install then or wait for annual in December. I am currently just flying VFR but do quite a bit of flying at night and have no backup AI (albeit the night flying is only over populated areas, the LA Basin at night has so much light there is no shortage of ground references). For the price point it I think it would be nice to have the backup AI, the "poor man's probless AOA" as Bob put it, the clock/timers, and TAS and I already have an empty spot in the panel just to the left of the Airspeed Indicator that currently just has a blank plate in it. The installation manual does not look terribly difficult.

I just had my current AI overhauled a few months ago but I am intrigued by Aerovonics AV-30 that they are anticipating certification for sometime mid-next year as replacement for my vacuum AI and DG to remove the vacuum system.