Welcome Home, N1157L!

So I have posted a lot of questions on the forum about a few different topics that I encountered along the way, but I'm prod to announce that N1157L, a new-to-me 1982 M20K was finally able to be flown home this past Sunday from Fort Lauderdale. The original bill of sale was signed off on May 17, and it took until August 5 to get all the kinks worked out. If it looks familiar at all, it was up for auction by the US Marshal's service. I bought it sans log books, so that was the beginning of the journey. It was missing the audio panel, the transponder, and a GNS530W. I had the proper overhauled to 0-time, 500hr mag inspection, replaced a few lights and the left wingtip lens, had to replace the fuel selector valve (that booger was $2k!), replaced a couple of gas caps, and replaced all the wheel bearings and races. Completed a full annual inspection, and all the ADs had to be re-checked as well. After finally getting the new registration, a new airworthiness certificate, and all the proper documentation in order, we flew home to KSRB. It was a nice, smooth 4.5 hr flight. We stayed at 10,500' as the O2 tank still needs to be recertified. But, found some awesome surprises along the way. It has long range tanks installed, has working electric speed breaks, has a storm scope behind the dash (wired to display on the 530), had a merlyn waste gate and intercooler installed, one piece belly skin, and was hard-wired for Bose headphones in all 4 places! At this point, the only thing left to do is to keep hunting records to try to determine the engine total time, although the compressions were really good, and replace the 530W. That, and she needs a really good wash and wax!

This place is a great resource for Mooney-holics, as my wife has basically compared my behavior as of late to that of an addict!!! Thanks to all!

IMG_6739.jpg

IMG_6745.jpg

IMG_6756.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_6375.JPG

IMG_6377.JPG

IMG_6714.JPG

• Like 8

How’d it end up in the Marshall service’s auction with no logbooks? I couldn’t imagine someone would be running drugs in a plane with the UL of a Mooney (if someone’s gonna risk the penalty of running contraband, useful load will take precedence over fuel economy). 

Thanks to all. Yes, the price was unbeatable! I had been looking at a couple of well cared for F models, when I found this online. It was a huge leap of faith jumping in sight unseen, but as of now, it is paying dividends. The back story is kind of entertaining to read. You can Google Alexander Amor or Fast Train school and get all the entertaining details. He got 8 or 9 years in a federal pen.

Oh, and if anyone has a line on a 530W 12V, please shoot me a msg!

9 minutes ago, CharlesHuddleston said:

Thanks to all. Yes, the price was unbeatable! I had been looking at a couple of well cared for F models, when I found this online. It was a huge leap of faith jumping in sight unseen, but as of now, it is paying dividends. The back story is kind of entertaining to read. You can Google Alexander Amor or Fast Train school and get all the entertaining details. He got 8 or 9 years in a federal pen.

Sounds like quite a guy:

For-profit colleges are known for aggressive recruiting, but FastTrain turned it up a notch. Ex-employees told investigators that Amor boosted enrollments by hiring former strippers as recruiters, some of whom wore “short skirts and stiletto heels” to work.

Amor told one employee to “hire some hot mommas” and “hire the sluttiest girls he could find.”

FastTrain’s TV and radio ads had a catchy jingle — “Get on the Fast Train!”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CharlesHuddleston said:

See @Alan Fox for some fancy radios that fit in those empty slots...

Best regards,

-a-

+1 on plugging in an Avidyne IFD 540 into the 530W slot.

And is that an engine monitor on the far left side above the ignition switch? If not, a good recording monitor will help the engine let you know there are problems before they become too costly.

Congrats on reviving a great example of a Mooney!

11 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I liked the part about the strippers.

We here at MS make no bones about the cost of our birds. Come on, you can tell us the final bid.

I thought the strippers were a nice touch, and they certainly served their purpose: lure unwitting young men (or women?) to sign on the dotted line! Final bid was $35k. 

11 hours ago, Oldguy said:

+1 on plugging in an Avidyne IFD 540 into the 530W slot.

And is that an engine monitor on the far left side above the ignition switch? If not, a good recording monitor will help the engine let you know there are problems before they become too costly.

Congrats on reviving a great example of a Mooney!

Yes, there is a JPI 800 on the left. I have been reading all about the performance settings and adjustments, and how important it is to watch those temps. Fortunately, the original POH and the JPI manual were in the back of the plane. Now I get to read up on all the details and how to get the most use out of it!

• Like 1