Need 201 Prop Spinner for my M20C

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I used to have one for a Hartzell prop. I traded it to Paul at Laser for something. You might give them a call. It was a long time ago, but you never know.

Thanks. Will check with Laser.

Mine is a short stubby spinner. I am looking for one like in the pic above.

Why are you looking to put a 201’s spinner on your M20C?  Just to get a shiny one or to get both the shiny and pointy one?

Polished, yes... chromed, probably not...

Stripping and Polishing are a real possibility...

Putting an M20J part on an M20C plane?  May require some extra effort...

The new cowling option around here for the older planes, may require a new spinner as well... search for that thread to see how people are handling getting a new spinner...

Jerry mentioned that he had a few spinners... I believe?

@acpartswhse

If looking up the cost of this shiny bauble makes you ill... look up the threads where people have stripped and polished their existing bauble... much lower cost than finding a different spinner...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Mooney-Mark said:

Thanks. Will check with Laser.

Mine is a short stubby spinner. I am looking for one like in the pic above.

That's the normal Hartzell 3-blade spinner for a C model. J spinners are very, very pointy on the end, and will reqhire changing additional parts behind them to fit onto a C model. 

Part of your quest will be defined by which propellor is on your C . . . . Yiu will need to know that when you call LASAR, Wentworth Salvage or our very own @acpartswhse or @Alan Fox

• Like 1

Rarely you can find one on eBay or Barnstormes.  I am not sure but would like to hear from the crowd on this:

Unless you have the SABREMEC, Lo Presti, ARI, or 201 Cowl mod,  is there really even a reason for the 201 Spinner.  I know ARI sells a new spinner with their mod it cost $2000.  I would think you should be able to find one from $500 (hard to find) to $1000 (roughly the most likely priced) to $1500 (Like new) used. Wouldn't it look a little off because it sticks out and would have a large gap for the stock cowl or the LASAR cowl (which is what Mark has)?  Does anyone have pictures of anyone doing just the spinner with out the 201 cowl?

Edited by wcb

@Sabremech gave some interesting details regarding spinners and how the new cowling is designed to include a newer style spinner...

From my experience... the cowling and spinner are actually designed / selected together... the integration requires the right diameter and offset... to look right... and not bind...

Missing the diameter by a 1/4” leaves a step that is aero-awkward.... and will be annoying during each pre-flight... :)

The TopProp spinner and Mooney cowl were not a smooth match... in 2012...

Use caution while proceeding...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

You were confusing me by saying you were looking for a 201 spinner. 

The only way you could use a 201 spinner is if you have a 201 cowl. The 201 spinner has an extended back plate to move the spinner forward. I had one that Hartzell made for putting one of their props on a 201. Which is in the type certificate.

What you are looking for is a late model Hartzell spinner.  It is longer than the one you have. It has a bulkhead that bolts to the end of the prop. I think it will work with your base plate. 

If you get one, make sure you get the bulkhead.

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

You were confusing me by saying you were looking for a 201 spinner. 

The only way you could use a 201 spinner is if you have a 201 cowl. The 201 spinner has an extended back plate to move the spinner forward. I had one that Hartzell made for putting one of their props on a 201. Which is in the type certificate.

What you are looking for is a late model Hartzell spinner.  It is longer than the one you have. It has a bulkhead that bolts to the end of the prop. I think it will work with your base plate. 

If you get one, make sure you get the bulkhead.

Thanks! I think that that is exactly what I need. Did not realize that a 201 spinner would be a difficult fit. Will start searching for that style spinner.

15 minutes ago, acpartswhse said:

few of the many spinners in all the disarray here

IMG_5590.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

The cowl nose bowl in your last picture is a Comanche 400 part, the air box under it looks like a 400 part?  What other 400 parts have you got?

Clarence