Flying into AVL, Asheville NC

marcusku

1 hour ago, eman1200 said:

it'll still cost you $34 even just for a short lunch hop, and even more if you get fuel.  but it used to be worse, so......

How so? I paid $13/day in mid-June, less than 2 months ago . . .. Plus the $5 "security fee" that all airline airports seem to charge now.

How so? I paid $13/day in mid-June, less than 2 months ago . . .. Plus the $5 "security fee" that all airline airports seem to charge now.

Because that’s what they charged me. I also emailed them and that’s exactly what they quoted they would charge me.

Just now, eman1200 said:

Because that’s what they charged me. I also emailed them and that’s exactly what they quoted they would charge me.

Wow, that's no fun. I did buy self-serve fuel to come home on, so I got a bye on the $29 handling fee that I was told about on the phone.

Wow, that's no fun. I did buy self-serve fuel to come home on, so I got a bye on the $29 handling fee that I was told about on the phone.

Which is exactly what I said. $29 +5, $29 being waived if you buy fuel. Same thing. It sounds like on top what I said you also got charged a daily fee.

Just now, eman1200 said:

Which is exactly what I said. $29 +5, $29 being waived if you buy fuel. Same thing. It sounds like on top what I said you also got charged a daily fee.

I was there for 4 days . . .

In every discussion about AVL, usually someone mentions Hendersonville airport (0A7) just 9NM miles away.  It is a very basic airport, but much cheaper than AVL.  If you're going to rent a car, you have to call ahead (Hertz, or Enterprise) to have the car waiting for you.

I haven't been there in years, but as I recall, the folks there were friendly and helpful.

Might be nice to get a report from a recent visitor.

• Like 1

FYI, this was the email response I got from Signature dated 7/8/2018:

"Good afternoon <eman>

The fees for a single engine piston aircraft are as follows.

Handling charge of $29 can be waived with a minimum fuel purchase of either 7,10, or 12 gallons (depending on what single engine aircraft you operate) Overnight parking is $13/night.

Self serve fuel is at $5.13/gallon all in.

Please let me know if you need anything else sir. Thank you."

15 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

In every discussion about AVL, usually someone mentions Hendersonville airport (0A7) just 9NM miles away.  It is a very basic airport, but much cheaper than AVL.  If you're going to rent a car, you have to call ahead (Hertz, or Enterprise) to have the car waiting for you.

I haven't been there in years, but as I recall, the folks there were friendly and helpful.

Might be nice to get a report from a recent visitor.

You have to be careful with Hendersonville though.  It is really narrow and short (3075 x 40).  The runway is parallel and close, really close, to a line of trees.  The remarks on AirNav reiterate this:

LANDING TRAFFIC USE CAUTION WHEN WINDS GREATER THAN 10 KTS.
NORTH SIDE OF RY HAS 60 FT TREES 80 FT FROM CENTERLINE.
NUMEROUS OBSTNS IN APCH AND PRIM SFCS. HANGAR 90 FT LEFT OF RY 33.

ACFT PARKED 40 FT FM EDGE OF RY 33.

The wind caution is becuase If the wind is anywhere from the north through southeast, you can expect bad turbulence over the runway caused by the trees.

Personally, I'll pay the few extra dollars and not take that chance.  I'm a hobby pilot and not a bush pilot.  Plus my mooney is still pretty new to me.  I don't trust my skills in those conditions. 

15 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

FYI, this was the email response I got from Signature dated 7/8/2018:

"Good afternoon <eman>

The fees for a single engine piston aircraft are as follows.

Handling charge of $29 can be waived with a minimum fuel purchase of either 7,10, or 12 gallons (depending on what single engine aircraft you operate) Overnight parking is $13/night.

Self serve fuel is at $5.13/gallon all in.

Please let me know if you need anything else sir. Thank you."

So it would seem to me, a short hop for lunch would cost... maybe the $5 security fee and nothing else. Just tell the front desk you'll go get self-serve fuel. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bob865 said:

I'm a hobby pilot and not a bush pilot. 

While Hendersonville may not be a big city airport, it is definitely an easy airport for a Mooney.  I'm not a bush pilot either, but have no problem with arrival, or departure.

5 hours ago, jjbiub said:

Where in WI?   I'm out of KSBM and considering a Mooney based upon my research but have never flown in one.   

I'm based in C29 though I've been up at KLSE during the week lately for work.  If you're interested in checking it out I'd be happy to show you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bob865 said:

Personally, I'll pay the few extra dollars and not take that chance.  I'm a hobby pilot and not a bush pilot.  Plus my mooney is still pretty new to me.  I don't trust my skills in those conditions. 

That's where my head is at.  Saving a few bucks flying into somewhere I'm not comfortable with isn't worth while to me. 

One question still out there from earlier that I'm still confused:  "I thought when the winds aloft are perpendicular to the range, there are greater chances of mountain waves and turbulence--in which case winds from the NW or SE?" 

34 minutes ago, marcusku said:

I'm based in C29 though I've been up at KLSE during the week lately for work.  If you're interested in checking it out I'd be happy to show you.

I'd very much appreciate that.   I can fly to meet you sometime or if you are in the area let me know and I'll buy you lunch/dinner at the airport restaurant here at KSBM.  

2 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

While Hendersonville may not be a big city airport, it is definitely an easy airport for a Mooney.  I'm not a bush pilot either, but have no problem with arrival, or departure.

Not questioning your or the mighty mooney's capabilities.  I just know my limits, and that airport is outside of them.  At least for now. :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

.... I walk from the plane follow a yellow line through a door, through a portacabin out through another door to my daughter.  No handling done at all.  I even put my own chocks in and tie her down.....

Wow, that’s severe security!  I’ve flown all over the USA with my kids & I never had to tie them down. Tempted to once or twice, I admit. 

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

So Ive noticed a lot of you don't like Signature, so i thought i would put it in perspective for you.  Here is an invoice from Signature for G-OBAL last year when i visited by Daughter in Glasgow.  Now the departure, nav charge are form the Airport and have nothing to do with Signature and are about the norm for a class 1 airport in the UK, now look at the Ground Handling.  Umm WHAT ground Handling?  I walk from the plane follow a yellow line through a door, through a portacabin out through another door to my daughter.  No handling done at all.  I even put my own chocks in and tie her down.  Then there is the fuel, note i get hit with the parking, the fuel (£1.94 a litre v £1.71 at Elstree and elsewhere)  and the handling.  Handling is normally 100% more but because i am a regular customer i get a discount of 50%.  .  

For reference 1 US gallon = 3.7854 Litres.

Bloody Thieves!

Andrew

1896250548_Image(261).thumb.jpg.54ed7c870594456c9f32cd823c09ca50.jpg

That sucks, dude. If we'd remained under the crown, the world would still be riding horses. 

• Like 1

AVL is nothing like flying into the Rockies.  The runway is nice and long and for an NA aircraft, the altitude at AVL will give good performance.  That said, I would watch for gusty wind conditions, and because of possible winds and surrounding terrain, I would definitely prefer a daylight approach and landing.  I would also be wary of poor weather and obscuration.  It is in a little bit of a valley as I recall, and if fog/clouds develop over the mountains they have a habit of crawling into the valleys during the evening and at night.  My experience with the FBO there was fine, north end and east of the runway, but it was about 4 years ago, perhaps it was under different ownership.

• Like 1