Introduction / Request

wc351

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

For a good honeymoon video... see @201er‘s...

Mike has posted a few videos from buying his 201 to Flying it to the arctic circle and the Caribbean including Cuba...

See if you can catch a Mooney fly-in...  

Get that discovery flight scheduled...

Maintain headway...

Best regards,

-a-

How do I learn about the Mooney Fly-ins? I didn't see a section for the southeast groups.

2 hours ago, wc351 said:

She definitely is behind me 100%, my ex would not have been at all. Thanks for the advice though.

That's great! I had the wrong one next to me for 15 long years. The past 8 with the right one next to me have been amazing.

• Like 1

Just now, thinwing said:

That is so true...the wrong one is not only costly it's life shortening

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

That's great! I had the wrong one next to me for 15 long years. The past 8 with the right one next to me have been amazing.

I took advantage of the window of time between the wrong one and the right one to get my Private and Instrument tickets while there wasn't any filter on the checkbook.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Skates97 said:

16 hours ago, thinwing said:

That is so true...the wrong one is not only costly it's life shortening

I have been with the right one 20 years as of this past month. She not only supported me in all of my crazy stuff, she encouraged me to do things I had set aside because of the wrong one. She's the reason I renewed my PADI diving instructor certificate, got my PPL and IR, got another motorcycle, and bought the Mooney.

It's much easier to embrace life and living when the person you are with comes with you rather than attempting to hold you back.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Oldguy said:

It's much easier to embrace life and living when the person you are with comes with you rather than attempting to hold you back.

Amen brother.  It will be 40 years for us in November.

This are her most common poses when flying.

1808135758_2015(03)AnotherdayanothernapUteasleepandhappy.jpg.5af3899d80eb7dc6b14a2ac4e5fb95d3.jpg128946420_2010(02)FlyingtoSudbury.thumb.JPG.65fa53f3bea190dc364178011c58bb26.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

She looks to be deep in prayer in the first picture Ned, what were you doing?

Never mind that, what's the periscope-looking thing hanging down between you? Looks like you have to move it or dodge it getting into / out of the left seat . . . .

22 minutes ago, Hank said:

Never mind that, what's the periscope-looking thing hanging down between you? Looks like you have to move it or dodge it getting into / out of the left seat . . . .

Sirs compass?  In front of the iPhone lens and between the iPhone and people.......

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:15 PM, Ned Gravel said:

Bumps will put her to sleep within 5 minutes of takeoff.

My fiance is the same way.  Wheels up, head down.  I don't think she has ever made it through a whole flight without sleeping.

• Like 1

My journey to PPL and Mooney ownership was a L O N G one.  Started training in 2001 then my instructor left for airlines (didn't tell me he had been hired) and school let me slip through the cracks and never mentioned anything to me about a "written test". They soloed me and sent me off into the crowded airspace of the L A Basin to survive. Started up again in 2005 for a few hours then again in 2006. Moved out of the USA for a few years and started again in 2015 with American Flyers.  I made it through written and was about two weeks away from check ride when the school shut down due to issues with KSMO and the Santa Monica leases.  Life got in the way again and in 2017  I committed to myself that I would see it through.  I flew 2-3 times a week, took the written again and in February of 2018 I passed my PPL with 165 hours in my log book.  Was it worth it?  You bet!. The sense of accomplishment was incredible.  When my DPE asked me what I wanted to do with my ticket I showed him a picture of the 67 Mooney M20 F that I purchased in December that was waiting for me in my hangar. Having my fiancé Shannon by my side every step of the way has made a huge difference.  We met when we were 10 years old, dated in high school and reconnected again 10 years ago.  We've known each other 45 years and she's a great life copilot and support system. FLY FLY FLY as much as possible and set your sights on a Mooney.  You will never regret those two decisions.  Welcome to the club.

mooney delivery.jpeg

• Like 10

22 hours ago, MrRodgers said:

When my DPE asked me what I wanted to do with my ticket I showed him a picture of the 67 Mooney M20 F that I purchased in December that was waiting for me in my hangar.

Congratulations. Good news and good work.  

Now for that still small voice of reason that whispers to you the term “IFR.”  The instrument endorsement will do two things to help you meet your stated goals of “fly as much as possible.”

it will significantly enhance your dispatch rate. And it will keep you out of the “178 seconds to live” crowd when you encounter IMC.  Not “if,” but “when.”  See https://blog.aopa.org/aopa/2010/10/20/178-seconds-to-live/.  

Ours is an aircraft type that has serious legs.  They are travellin’ machines, unlike a C-150 where 1500 feet in marginal conditions gives somewhat more time to react than in your F model.

My story about getting an instrument ticket mirrors your PPL storey, but not as long. I got it in my Mooney and 800 hours (and nine years) later, it has allowed me to make better decisions and better protect my best friend sitting in the right seat.

You appear to have made smart choices and good decisions so far.  I encourage you to consider this one too.

we are a relative few so lucky in our choices of partners, it would be good to meet some day.  Perhaps the Caravan or else when/else where. 

• Like 1

Amazing to be able to hear all the different stories from everyone and the journey they took. I'm still in the research phase and found a few local CFIs that I plan to talk with soon. One of them flys a Mooney and I was told that they think he teaches people in it. I will know more soon. 

Keep the stories and experiences coming, I'm learning a lot about the community already. 

36 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

Congratulations. Good news and good work.  

Now for that still small voice of reason that whispers to you the term “IFR.”  The instrument endorsement will do two things to help you meet your stated goals of “fly as much as possible.”

it will significantly enhance your dispatch rate. And it will keep you out of the “178 seconds to live” crowd when you encounter IMC.  Not “if,” but “when.”  See https://blog.aopa.org/aopa/2010/10/20/178-seconds-to-live/.  

Ours is an aircraft type that has serious legs.  They are travellin’ machines, unlike a C-150 where 1500 feet in marginal conditions gives somewhat more time to react than in your F model.

My story about getting an instrument ticket mirrors your PPL storey, but not as long. I got it in my Mooney and 800 hours (and nine years) later, it has allowed me to make better decisions and better protect my best friend sitting in the right seat.

You appear to have made smart choices and good decisions so far.  I encourage you to consider this one too.

we are a relative few so lucky in our choices of partners, it would be good to meet some day.  Perhaps the Caravan or else when/else where. 

Thanks for your kind words and advice.

I plan on getting my IR within the next 24 months. I am building time and confidence in my abilities now and I am training with Don Kaye in my transition.  Many issues with my plane have been revealed to me on recent flights so my flight time has been limited while resolving the needed upgrade items.  New ADSB Transponder, audio panel, G650, flap seals, new fuel sensors and a few other items have all been completed. Now I can fly her with confidence that she is sound and focus on learning my plane   I look forward to meeting you as well and the caravan is on my bucket list. 

Good work @MrRodgers! The best approach you can take is to learn your plane well, and you have a great instructor. Learn the procedures, the power settings and speeds. Fly around for a year, get to know your plane, how it handles, how she climbs and descends and slows down. Then go whole hog into IFR training. You'll need some XC hours anyway, and the better you know your plane, the easier keeping it flying well while learning the procedures, and developing your scan will be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Good work @MrRodgers! The best approach you can take is to learn your plane well, and you have a great instructor. Learn the procedures, the power settings and speeds. Fly around for a year, get to know your plane, how it handles, how she climbs and descends and slows down. Then go whole hog into IFR training. You'll need some XC hours anyway, and the better you know your plane, the easier keeping it flying well while learning the procedures, and developing your scan will be.

Thanks so much.  Great advice.

Hmmmm....

Probably should have...

• got the PPL before getting married...  :)
  • Got the Mooney before getting kids...
  • Got the Acclaim before sending the kids to college...

The Acclaim is going to have to wait...

For the record... 25years of wedded bliss and counting...  :)

It takes a fair amount of luck to have everything work out so well... and a whole bunch of support too...  (go MS!)

Best regards,

-a-