Garmin unlock fee for Jepp charts on GTNs

I know this is probably been discussed before, but I could not find it with the search function. Does anybody know what Garmin’s  fee is these days to unlock the GTN’s to be able to use the  Jepp charts? I understand it may have increased. I think it was around $1200 when I last looked at it a couple of years back.

Thanks, Frank

58 minutes ago, Bravoman said:

I know this is probably been discussed before, but I could not find it with the search function. Does anybody know what Garmin’s  fee is these days to unlock the GTN’s to be able to use the  Jepp charts? I understand it may have increased. I think it was around $1200 when I last looked at it a couple of years back.

Thanks, Frank

Last time I checked it was $$$$1,995 for the GTN.  For that money the Garmin Flight Charts with blocky zoom in work quite well.  Or buy an iPad subscription to Jepp Charts and pay $60 for the Aera 796 add on.  That is what I do.

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

Last time I checked it was $$$$1,995 for the GTN.  For that money the Garmin Flight Charts with blocky zoom in work quite well.  Or buy an iPad subscription to Jepp Charts and pay $60 for the Aera 796 add on.  That is what I do.

Thanks Don, I think I will go the flight charts route. I wasn’t inclined to pay $1200 a couple years ago, and I’m certainly not inclined to pay 2000 now!

• Haha 1

For my GTN 750 the cost is $995 yearly for full US Jepps with a full set of paper enroute and area charts.  Two computer installs are included, I use one on my PC and the other in ForeFlight.  I think this is very close to the cost of Garmin data and the graphics are MUCH better.  I agree the unlock is way too costly.

17 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

Or get charts for free with Flight Plan GO.

Being an CB, I really, really tried to use Flight Plan Go this past weekend. It just doesn't do it for me. I found it non intuitive and couldn't find how to display GS, ETA to destination, etc. on the map. I really like the approach chart overlay feature, though...

I guess I'll stick with Wings Pro X I use since beginning. I am interested in trying Seattle Avionics FlyQ EFB, though. Anyone has a PIREP?

4 hours ago, Igor_U said:

I guess I'll stick with Wings Pro X I use since beginning. I am interested in trying Seattle Avionics FlyQ EFB, though. Anyone has a PIREP?

I like FlyQ and use it second most often. The one I *really* have come to like in the last six months is iFlyGPS. https://www.iflygps.com

4 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Being an CB, I really, really tried to use Flight Plan Go this past weekend. It just doesn't do it for me. I found it non intuitive and couldn't find how to display GS, ETA to destination, etc. on the map. I really like the approach chart overlay feature, though...

IIRC, on Fltplan Go, to change the data fields you just have to tap on the labels and it'll pop up a window with other options.  You might have a problem if your tablet puts "soft" home and back buttons on the bottom of the screen, because the fields are pretty close to the edge.

Fltplan Go is definitely the most polished of the free ones out there.  I prefer Avare because it is faster and more streamlined, but it is definitely less polished.

13 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

For $599 the Garmin data subscription also includes charts, which also overly on the map. Well worth it.

I just got a Wombat for downloads and transfer to the data cards. I am assuming it will not work with the Garmin data subscription but I’m gonna check it out. 

Thanks, Frank

5 hours ago, Bravoman said:

I just got a Wombat for downloads and transfer to the data cards. I am assuming it will not work with the Garmin data subscription but I’m gonna check it out. 

Thanks, Frank

Wombat doesn’t work with Garmin. According to them, it’s Garmin fault. Works great with JDM, though. 

If if anyone is considering unlock cards for the GTN- DO NOT LOSE THE CARDS. When you install the unlock the avionics shop will “mate”the card to your particular GTN (I didn’t ask about the details, but I’m told it involves a dimly lit hangar and Luther Vandross music). If you ever lose your unlock due to a glitch from a software update, defective unit, etc Garmin will NOT replace the cards unless you can prove you purchased it for your plane with receipts, then it still takes several months and $200/card replacement fee. Hypothetically speaking, if you have a G500 with synthetic vision, autopilot, jeppview and a GTN 750 it can get expensive quickly. I’m also told Garmin will only replace the cards once. Don’t ask me how I know...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I use the Jepp charts on the iPad and the Garmin charts on the GTN and the G500. On the GTN they are Geo referenced so I dont see the benefit of the Jepp charts since I can’t read the information anyway and if for some reason my iPad fails they are a sutible backup. I usually take screen shot of my Jepp charts and send it to my second iPad also this allows me to zoom into additional detail as well.

I have found no need for Jepp unlock cards for either the GTN 750 or G500/G500TXi.  They ARE ridiculously expensive.  But I'm still very happy to be an almost all Garmin product owner.  Their products keep getting better and better along with some outstanding continuous software upgrades.  There are many ways to skin the cat (horrible analogy).  Garmin Charts are included for the GTN 750 and G500 for FREE with the OnePak.  I prefer Jepp Charts, so I've purchased 2 iPad subscriptions for the iPad, one for JeppFD and the other for Garmin Pilot.  For and additional $60 you get a subscription for the Aera 796 which I use as primary for Approach Charts on the yoke.  The iPad is secondary and the GTN and G500 follow in that order.  I think 3 backups from 2 different power sources is quite adequate.  Recently, in addition to the North up Chart view on the GTN and G500, Garmin has provided the same geo-referenced Plan View as Jeppesen on the main Map of those units, albeit not vector driven, i.e., when zoomed in the chart becomes "blocky".

On 8/8/2018 at 6:28 AM, Igor_U said:

Well the charts are free from the FAA, so if you were to make your own moving maps.....  I am slightly out of the CB club, because for $100 a year you can get geo plates from droidefb.    And you run it on a droid tablet that don't crash and is $150 and lasts all day on battery.