Smoke tops

Anyone know a good way to find out what the tops are for the smoke/haze layers? Contemplating a trip from Portland to Santa Barbara and tying to decide if I should just fly high and go direct (14-16k) or fly along the coast. Following the coast seems like it would add 30-45 min to the trip. Last year it seemed the smoke from the Sana Rosa fires went almost up to 10k and I just changed the oil and cleaned the air filter so not excited about doing it again.

1 hour ago, ilovecornfields said:

Anyone know a good way to find out what the tops are for the smoke/haze layers? Contemplating a trip from Portland to Santa Barbara and tying to decide if I should just fly high and go direct (14-16k) or fly along the coast. Following the coast seems like it would add 30-45 min to the trip. Last year it seemed the smoke from the Sana Rosa fires went almost up to 10k and I just changed the oil and cleaned the air filter so not excited about doing it again.

Smoke in that area is about 8 to 13 thousand feet. some days are better than others. when I flew north over medford, the smoke was around 8k ft.

coming back a week later, it was 13500. Coast adds about 5 to 10 minutes, and most of the time, there is a marine layer about 3 to 500 feet above the coastal airports.

If it were me, I'd fly direct at 15 to 17000 ft direct.

6 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Smoke tops depends on the day and location. 

FB09CBA2-20DA-42CD-85FE-9DBB1C2A32E7.jpeg

That was my question. I don’t usually see any PIREPS. Flight Circus usually doesn’t give accurate numbers. Just trying to find out if there’s a better way than just getting in the air and taking a look. Would take forever to get up to 17k in the Ovation with this heat wave.

The smoke height will be defined by the mixing layer.  Go to NOAA's website and get the location you are interested in.  Here is the one for Santa Barbara: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=34.4194&lon=-119.699#.W2nnfNJKhEY

Near the bottom of the page on the right you will find the Hourly Weather Forecast graphs.  At the top of that page is a section for Fire Weather, so select the Mixing Height and hit submit.  At the bottom of the graphs you will find the forecast mixing height for the day/time you are interested in.  You will need to pick multiple locations to get a picture for your route.

Here's a more applicable one for Reno: https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=38.8935&lon=-119.9963#.W2npbdJKhEY

Edited by skydvrboy
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the temperature profile one can roughly determine the location of the inversion layer. In the Central valley of CA it is around 8,000 ft or a bit higher. It should be clear above the inversion layer. The other day I was flying from Castle to Livermore and the temps at 5,000 ft was 27C, just a few degrees cooler than the surface temps. Horizontal visibility was non-existent. 

47 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

I’m going to try to basically go direct at 16.5k. We’ll see how that works out. Probably more of a headwind than going along the coast, but lots more available landing sites as well. 

I just flew with @xcrmckenna over to John Day from Corvallis.  I couldn't find any forecast information or PIREPs about smoke tops either, but we smoke blown up all the way to 12k and higher.  I will sadly admit that I failed to submit a PIREP about the smoke... :huh:

• Like 1