Try to patch or strip/reseal

NJMac

My transition instructor has his and said an A&P wrote a letter of recommendation to the FSDO and he had to do a weeks worth of classes at some place to pass the writtens.

Has anyone figured out how to manage the onerous requirements to get the A&P. I know I could easily study and pass the test, but going to school for 2 years or hiring onto a shop for god knows how long, just isn't in the cards. Over my lifetime I have worked on enough cars (rebuilt enough engines, transmissions, differentials, suspension stuff, etc.) and virtually anything else mechanical, to have the equivalent. Plus working under the tutelage of a master hangar elf for 18 years ought to count for something, but I can't find where it does.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Do you have an opinion as to whether any A&P's letter would carry any weight, or would he need to be someone with some "clout" with the FSDO. 

A week of classes would be a cinch. I would just have to find out where.

Instructors name is Jeff S in Cincinnati. His contact is on the Mooney flier site. Ill message it to you too. Id bet he would be glad to share his experience with you. Great guy that loves Mooneys. He's going to come up and help me patch my leak

7 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:
Do you have an opinion as to whether any A&P's letter would carry any weight, or would he need to be someone with some "clout" with the FSDO. 
A week of classes would be a cinch. I would just have to find out where.

Edited by NJMac

24 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Has anyone figured out how to manage the onerous requirements to get the A&P. I know I could easily study and pass the test, but going to school for 2 years or hiring onto a shop for god knows how long, just isn't in the cards. Over my lifetime I have worked on enough cars (rebuilt enough engines, transmissions, differentials, suspension stuff, etc.) and virtually anything else mechanical, to have the equivalent. Plus working under the tutelage of a master hangar elf for 18 years ought to count for something, but I can't find where it does.

You need to get a letter(s) of recommendation from an A&P(s) you worked with that states that you have been an apprentice for 30 Months. Then submit it to the FSDO who will authorize you to take the written and practical tests.

You should do whatever studying you are going to do before you visit the FSDO.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

32 minutes ago, NJMac said:

My transition instructor has his and said an A&P wrote a letter of recommendation to the FSDO and he had to do a weeks worth of classes at some place to pass the writtens.

it takes quite a bit more than a week to pass the writtens. Theres a General, Airframe, and powerplant. many sections in each.  its like taking the ATP written twice. 

• Like 1

Would you patch a leaking tank? or full reseal?

it takes quite a bit more than a week to pass the writtens. Theres a General, Airframe, and powerplant. many sections in each.  its like taking the ATP written twice. 

3 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I studied for 2-4 hours a day for 6 weeks before I took my writtens. And I knew most of the material pretty well. Got over 94% on all three.

6 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Would you patch a leaking tank? emoji16.png or full reseal?

it all depends. Fuel tanks and sealer are pretty simple and robust.  I think people pull the trigger on a full strip too often, but thats maybe a lack of basic skills in finding and patching tank leaks.

this often turns into a full paint job as well. or 30K all said and done.

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1

How does the paint job get wrapped into it too? I'd rather just patch honestly

it all depends. Fuel tanks and sealer are pretty simple and robust.  I think people pull the trigger on a full strip too often, but thats maybe a lack of basic skills in finding and patching tank leaks.
this often turns into a full paint job as well. or 30K all said and done.

11 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I studied for 2-4 hours a day for 6 weeks before I took my writtens. And I knew most of the material pretty well. Got over 94% on all three.

I have almost unlimited time to study. I presume it would not take too much effort to find the right books. If that, the general knowledge I possess, a week or so of some formal classwork, and an ordinary A&P's recommendation, I would jump in in a minute

36 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Would you patch a leaking tank? emoji16.png or full reseal?

As stated earlier that leak will be easy to find. Personally I would do the approved patch repair once, but the second time it goes to the specialty shop. I did not get lucky with my first or my second repair attempt and it was done right both times, but you can only expect so much from 30 year old sealant with multiple previous repairs of unknown quality. But I remain Leak free on the clean slate :)

Fantastic turn of events just now. Came to the plane. It's inside the hangar. No fuel smell. Nothing under any part of the wing. Only 2 or 3 gallons low on the right wing.

I'm thinking I just don't fill past 20 gallons on that side and I'm in the clear. Any reason thats not a good plan?

6 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Fantastic turn of events just now. Came to the plane. It's inside the hangar. No fuel smell. Nothing under any part of the wing. Only 2 or 3 gallons low on the right wing.

I'm thinking I just don't fill past 20 gallons on that side and I'm in the clear. Any reason thats not a good plan?

I did that to some extent, but it never leaked as bad as yours is. Was not a good long term plan for me. If it quit after leaking only about 3 gallons then that tells you it's on the upper edge on the most outboard section of the tank. Pull one panel and fix it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

Any reason thats not a good plan?

Because sometimes you need all the fuel (practically).  And because if your plane holds 3 less gallons than the TCDS states it's not airworthy from my owner/operator standpoint. It's fine to ferry it to get it patched, but not a fine medium to long term plan. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, bradp said:

Because sometimes you need all the fuel (practically).  And because if your plane holds 3 less gallons than the TCDS states it's not airworthy from my owner/operator standpoint. It's fine to ferry it to get it patched, but not a fine medium to long term plan. 

You should be fine. If you need the fuel for a long trip you can top it off and you’ll burn it off faster than it can leak. Many many Mooney’s in that situation. 

-Robert

• Like 1

Still have easily 40 gals on board, call it 3 hours plus reserves. Will patch it next week. Thanks y'alls

You should be fine. If you need the fuel for a long trip you can top it off and you’ll burn it off faster than it can leak. Many many Mooney’s in that situation. 
-Robert

How do you plan on banking without fuel coming out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 2