Try to patch or strip/reseal

NJMac

Found while preflighting on Saturday. Canned the trip.

I have a call into weap no more regarding their timeline. Depending on what that looks like, wondering if you'd try and patch it in the time before a potential appointment or might the patch be enough for a couple more years of service? Supposedly tanks have been done in the last 10 years but im thinking it was the prior local mx guy, not one of the well known outfits tank sealing outfits.

c36d08d8a57d16a51c5154d1a88f8986.jpg4c556180a16d18a3358510305857fbf6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pull that inspection plate and see what you can see.   It might be leaking from the sending unit, which would be a much easier repair.   It's a huge leak, so it should be easy to get an idea of what's going on.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Found while preflighting on Saturday. Canned the trip.

I have a call into weap no more regarding their timeline. Depending on what that looks like, wondering if you'd try and patch it in the time before a potential appointment or might the patch be enough for a couple more years of service? Supposedly tanks have been done in the last 10 years but im thinking it was the prior local mx guy, not one of the well known outfits tank sealing outfits.

c36d08d8a57d16a51c5154d1a88f8986.jpg4c556180a16d18a3358510305857fbf6.jpg

39 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Pull that inspection plate and see what you can see.   It might be leaking from the sending unit, which would be a much easier repair.   It's a huge leak, so it should be easy to get an idea of what's going on.

He has an E model, so he wouldn't have a sender out there. It looks like it is leaking from the rear corner of the tank area. I would drain the tank and see if you can track down the leak from the blue trail. Is this the only area where you see the fuel coming out?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marauder said:

He has an E model, so he wouldn't have a sender out there. It looks like it is leaking from the rear corner of the tank area. 

Bummer.   I was hopeful.   Maybe it'll still turn out to be a relatively easy fix.

• Like 1

I would patch it.  Pull the inspection panel and a patch job would be complete on a weekend.  If leaks again then do the whole tank.  Not hard to do, I did my tanks myself.  Took my time did it right then an A&P sign off.  I used Poly Gone to strip then used Flamemaster to seal.  Most A&P's don't like this work because it takes so long to strip the tanks right.  

• Like 1

On this side, yes, this is the only exit point. I'm heading over this evening to clean up the stains and pull the access panel.

He has an E model, so he wouldn't have a sender out there. It looks like it is leaking from the rear corner of the tank area. I would drain the tank and see if you can track down the leak from the blue trail. Is this the only area where you see the fuel coming out?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Wish someone would have warned me

When I flew almost daily, it would sometimes go months without needing any non-routine maintenance. Now that I don’t fly as much it seems the flying to maintenance ratio has gone way down. 

I got my A&P so I could be out of time instead of money.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

When I flew almost daily, it would sometimes go months without needing any non-routine maintenance. Now that I don’t fly as much it seems the flying to maintenance ratio has gone way down. 

I was thinking about this the other day. I'm really not smart on the engine stuff and I know I can go to a local college around here to get my A&P so I thought "Worst case scenario, I learn more about my plane." But I was wondering what the ROI really is on getting the A&P done, do you think its worth it? Especially if I cannot dedicate much time to doing much more than my own plane?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JRam said:

I was thinking about this the other day. I'm really not smart on the engine stuff and I know I can go to a local college around here to get my A&P so I thought "Worst case scenario, I learn more about my plane." But I was wondering what the ROI really is on getting the A&P done, do you think its worth it? Especially if I cannot dedicate much time to doing much more than my own plane?

I never went to school. I got mine from experience. The FAA really doesn't like doing the experience thing. They gave me a 4 hour oral before they finally signed me off. You better be able to talk at length about everything in the syllabus. to go that route.

The practical test was just another fun day in the shop.

If you value your time, you would have a hard time recovering the time spent in school. 

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

Is this what aviation ownership consists of, just blindly dumping money into planes, getting a few good flights inbetween, hoping that the end is near?

Dumping money into the plane runs in cycles. As a new owner, you are running into issues most likely due to an airplane that wasn't flying a lot or one that an owner was not progressive on the maintenance. Once you get past these initial hurdles your dispatch rate will improve and the "surprises" should be a lot less. Those of us who do track the actual costs will tell you that as a progressive maintenance owner, including reserves, my annual cost will range from $22k to $28k depending on how much flying I am doing. We're not talking about a new car experience, we are talking about keeping that 1962 Ford Fairlane running.

Unfortunately, initial ownership ranges from buyer's remorse through watching the bank account take a hit. I remember an old timer telling me about ownership "Son, it would be a lot cheaper if sat on the end of the runway throwing $20 bills in the air watching planes take off". 

Hang in there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

Wish someone would have warned me

I think the disconnect for first time owners is that you're paying the equivelent of a new higher end car price to buy a plane but in the end you're getting a vehicle that is usually older than you and has the maintenance you'd expect of such an old vehicle. I'm not sure maintenance ever gets less but if you are highly involved in the maintenance you see things coming and are more able to plan for it. Although a few years ago my 1000 SFEW Lycoming disassembled in flight and I found that there aren't really any options less than $60K to replace an engine without a good core (never assume overhauling an engine is your worst case scenario).

-Robert

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Dumping money into the plane runs in cycles. As a new owner, you are running into issues most likely due to an airplane that wasn't flying a lot or one that an owner was not progressive on the maintenance. Once you get past these initial hurdles your dispatch rate will improve and the "surprises" should be a lot less.

Absolutely true! But do not be the owner who gets so frustrated with the first 12-24 months expense of cleaning up their plane they decide to sell it and move on. The next owner would be ecstatic about getting a plane with few or no squawks.

Kind of like putting a new glass panel in and selling it the next year. The seller essentially throws away money and the buyer picks it up.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The FAA really doesn't like doing the experience thing. They gave me a 4 hour oral before they finally signed me off. You better be able to talk at length about everything in the syllabus. to go that route.

Rich, this was my experience exactly.  The guys at the San Antonio FSDO "interviewed" me all afternoon.  They finally said, "Well, if Sam says you're okay, you must be okay."  (Old mechanic named Sam Waskom signed my letter.). 

• Like 2

Absolutely true! But do not be the owner who gets so frustrated with the first 12-24 months expense of cleaning up their plane they decide to sell it and move on. The next owner would be ecstatic about getting a plane with few or no squawks.
Kind of like putting a new glass panel in and selling it the next year. The seller essentially throws away money and the buyer picks it up.
No kidding I'm really considering that right now but hate the potential loss as much as i hate putting more in. I said the other day that it's almost sinful how the plane is eating money.

Just now, NJMac said:

No kidding I'm really considering that right now but hate the potential loss as much as i hate putting more in. I said the other day that it's almost sinful how the plane is eating money.

Unless there is something else going on I wouldn't assume you need a full reseal. Its pretty common with wet wings to need a simple patch on occasion. You don't need to go nuclear and reseal for each leak. Depends more on the overall condition of the sealant.

-Robert

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJMac said:

Planes eat money, its what they do. Most find it more palatable to have it eaten when they purchase the plane by buying the higher end, and not have the new aluminum mistress nickle and dime Franklin them daily.

You should never patch the tanks. You should repair the sealant according to the procedures in the maintenance manual. 

When I think "patch" I think about just adding more sealant over the failed sealant. This is not an approved procedure although I've seen it done plenty of times.

When repaired properly, the repair is as good or better then what was in there originally. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 8:44 AM, mike_elliott said:

Planes eat money, its what they do. Most find it more palatable to have it eaten when they purchase the plane by buying the higher end, and not have the new aluminum mistress nickle and dime Franklin them daily.

Mistresses eat money... it’s what they do! The difference is normal mistresses get paid to leave. But in the case of Mooney mistresses they stick around asking for more!

9 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Has anyone figured out how to manage the onerous requirements to get the A&P. I know I could easily study and pass the test, but going to school for 2 years or hiring onto a shop for god knows how long, just isn't in the cards. Over my lifetime I have worked on enough cars (rebuilt enough engines, transmissions, differentials, suspension stuff, etc.) and virtually anything else mechanical, to have the equivalent. Plus working under the tutelage of a master hangar elf for 18 years ought to count for something, but I can't find where it does.

• Like 2