Now You See IT-Now You Don’t...

So, face palm moment yesterday.  Landed at CID and taxied up to Self Serve pump.  I fly with a single ignition key on a round retainer that I hang from my flight bag when not in use.  I usually hang the key on the DG knob, but set it up on the glare screen and “gone” in an instant.  What just happened?  There is an opening into the panel abyss that “ate” the key.  It was like 90 on ramp so I used back up key (one of two carried) and taxied back to hanger.  Don’t be “that guy”...

• Like 1

I have a spare ignition key on my non-airplane key ring (house, car, garage, etc.), that I keep thinking I should take off as I would never hang the 2 lb. weight it is attached to from the ignition. After Scott's "adventure", maybe I'll just leave it there as a safety backup.

Thanks for sharing.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Worse yet would be if the key fell down and shorted some wiring or otherwise balled up the works.  Glad all is well.

Still in there.  Concerned about that.  Let the co-owner know.  I will “go in” with a good flashlight and see if I can locate the perpetrator/offending subject.

4 hours ago, Oldguy said:

I have a spare ignition key on my non-airplane key ring (house, car, garage, etc.), that I keep thinking I should take off as I would never hang the 2 lb. weight it is attached to from the ignition. After Scott's "adventure", maybe I'll just leave it there as a safety backup.

Thanks for sharing.

I have a complete set of plane keys in car with hanger key as well as a complete set on the flight bag.  Also a complete set at home in the nightstand.  Glad to not be stranded at the fuel pumps on other side of CID after a two-hour flight.  Did it to be “safe” (out of the ignition), but it escalated quickly...Didn’t know that vortex/rathole key collector was there...sigh, I do NOW.  :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Still in there.  Concerned about that.  Let the co-owner know.  I will “go in” with a good flashlight and see if I can locate the perpetrator/offending subject.

And the correct answer....  Remove panel install all glass.  nothing to hook snag or short out!  Nothing money can't fix:D